Harrows Darts.

Target Phil Taylor Power 9Five Gen 3 26g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJg2AjFSs04

Well like I already said elsewhere I really only bought these due to the amount of requests I had to review them, I have not had much luck with Taylors darts and I never really expected these to suit me but more on that later.

I pre-ordered these from Madhouse Darts and they came on Friday 1st April.  I used the forum members discount code which meant the total I paid including delivery was £71.28 but the usual retail price is around £78.

There was also a free Target goody bag with stems and flights Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You can buy them here: Taylor Power 9 Five Gen 3 darts

As you may gather by the name they are 95% tungsten and this is Taylors third dart from Target in the Power 9Five range hence the Generation 3 title.  The darts are available in 22, 24 and 26 grams.  I wanted to review the 26g version as that is what Taylor uses.

The barrels still have a pixel grip on them but now there is the addition of gold nitride and silica nitride coatings which makes the dart a real looker! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

There is also a new Ti Power Shaft Gen 3 which is also silica coated.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come ready assembled in a slim box inside a foam insert.  The barrels are fitted with a short Gen 3 Titanium Power Shaft which has replaceable alloy pinch grip tops and they also come with the new Gen 3 Power Star Vapour S Taylor flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

These darts really do look so much better when you actually get them, I think the way they are set up with the Power Shafts almost blending in seamlessly with the barrels is great, even the tiny flights look good with them.  The barrels have two short sections of pixel grip which is enhanced on the rear with silica coating and the centre is a normal ring grip.  Overall though the grip does not feel as grippy as some other darts with the pixel grip, it feels almost like the pixels have been smoothed off a little, I would say its medium for most of the grip but stretching very slightly towards high medium.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed Dimensions:

WEIGHT:

The barrels were quite closely matched just two hundredths of a gram difference between lightest and heaviest:

Full set up as supplied:

Shaft and Flight:

Shaft:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the balance is towards the front:

With the supplied setup it moves pretty much right in the middle:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Well I think even though I am a front gripper they actually worked best with the setup supplied with a rear grip, no surprise really Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

When I eventually changed set up completely I got the darts flying better and more in my usual angle as below:

CONCLUSION:

I conclude these darts don't work for me.

The End! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Seriously though I do feel quite annoyed, the more I seen these darts the more I liked the look of them and I was hoping that I would be totally wrong and they would work well for me but they don't.

I knew straight away that the tiny flights would be hopeless for me but I thought even with standards on the darts would still be good, but no.  I eventually ditched the stems as well as the flights and put mediums stems and standard flights on and got the darts flying more to my liking.  

Now I know as a front gripper I should not really expect a dart designed for a rear gripper to work for me but I was a little surprised at just how uncomfortable I felt with my front grip with these, I just did not feel right with them at all.

Out of the box with the supplied setup I felt the darts were just flying to fast through the air for me, they seemed to zip to the board very quick but often at strange angles and more often than not landing flat or tail down??

I was not enjoying it at all.  

Trying from the middle was more comfortable and the darts performed a little better and more stable.

The darts did work best from the rear though, I even managed to hit a T20 from the rear grip which I could not with the other grips lol!  But I think even with the tiny flights on the darts felt better balanced from the rear and certainly the most comfortable position to grip from.

Taylor must have such a precise throw to be able to play with these so well though!

With the small flights on it kind of felt like I was throwing just a barrel with nothing attached, and as I said the rear was the best position overall but the set up as supplied just did not suit me and I could not get the stability through the air I needed.

But even after switching to my medium stems and standard flights I would still say it was not that great with my front grip, I was able to hit more T20's but I still had that uncomfy feel with the front grip.

Once again with that medium and standard flight set up the middle was better but the rear was even better again.  From the rear was more stable and the darts had a nice flight path.  

So a dart for rear grippers then, possibly worth a look for middle grippers if you most and although I am sure some front grippers may be ok with them I would say its more than likely not going to suit a frontier Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts themselves are really beautiful looking and I am a fan of the silica coating but the pixels seem less grippy to me, not sure if the coating is the reason?  

I think for some this will be a very nice set up with the ti gen 3 shafts and will probably be sweetly balanced with that set up for some rear grippers. I think the shafts really suit the overall look with the darts although I cant say I am fan of alloy tops as they will no doubt bend and break but at least you can just replace the tops and not the whole shaft too which would be around £12 a set as opposed to the tops which are about £1 a set.

Price for the darts is obviously not cheap but they are very nicely made and quality is high.  I wonder if a barrels only option would have been worth considering though as the price of the ti shafts is no doubt adding a fair bit to the overall cost and I don't know if they would be to everyones liking, same applies to the flights.

So to conclude fully it is a beautiful and well made dart and I think its likely going to suit rear grippers the most and maybe if your prepared to spend time working on the setup and learning to tame them you could get them working well too, but not for me sadly Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 9.5 (very nice)
Grip: 6.5 (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8.5 (2 very close)
Quality: 9 (Great quality)
Value: 7 (nice but not so cheap )
Suitability for me: 5 (not good with my front grip )

Best Feature: Looks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review. Definitely works better for rear grippers, I'm more middle myself and found I had to shift back a bit to get a decent throw. Bent the tops of the stems fairly quickly which is annoying too.
The darts feel nice enough but for the price you'd expect something exceptional not just 'nice'
Another stunning review with equally great photography Darren!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The more I think about it, the more the double-threaded 2BAs appeal to me.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(04-03-2016, 08:35 PM)Walker Wrote: Great review. Definitely works better for rear grippers, I'm more middle myself and found I had to shift back a bit to get a decent throw. Bent the tops of the stems fairly quickly which is annoying too.
The darts feel nice enough but for the price you'd expect something exceptional not just 'nice'

Cheers!

I think Taylor has really Taylored these to suit him but I think the balance from the rear even for me was noticeably better, quite a strange one but I suspect there will be some people that the darts will fit like a glove the way it sits with a rear grip I will be surprised if any front grippers really like them though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-03-2016, 08:43 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Another stunning review with equally great photography Darren!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The more I think about it, the more the double-threaded 2BAs appeal to me.

Cheers Chris! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(04-03-2016, 08:44 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(04-03-2016, 08:35 PM)Walker Wrote: Great review. Definitely works better for rear grippers, I'm more middle myself and found I had to shift back a bit to get a decent throw. Bent the tops of the stems fairly quickly which is annoying too.

Cheers!

I think Taylor has really Taylored these to suit him but I think the balance from the rear even for me was noticeably better, quite a strange one but I suspect there will be some people that the darts will fit like a glove the way it sits with a rear grip I will be surprised if any front grippers really like them though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Taylored....I like what you done there Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review again Darren those pictures are stunning 
now as you can't get on with them I expect them in the post to me tomorrow Tuesday at the latest ( you already have my address)
lovely looking dart, looking forward to watching on youtube, seem popular in that many guys on the forum have got them but no one seems that happy so far. Would like to try them but not for that amount of money.
I was curious to see if you could throw them. Same results as me. I found them extremely difficult to throw. Even when I put my own setup on them. They flopped all over the place.

Oh well, at least the man they were made for can throw them. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Fantastic review! Loved reading it, and thought the photos especially are exceptional!

Thank you,

Greener
Excellent review as always. I've just pulled the trigger and bought a set from Madhouse. No Idea if they'll suit me but I'm sure I'll be able to move them on if they don't!
78 is too much,after 50 quid,customs are only option
180-1(33)

Im a very front gripper, but Id like to taste them, aesthetics are great
Very expensive to buy them jummmmm.
Valencia/Spain

Thanks for the review.Didn't realize they were so oriented toward a rear gripper . 
   Definitely a game changer for me . Saved me mega £££££   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]®[/font]

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
Great review! Beautiful darts, unfortunately a bit too expensive and it seems like nobody can throw properly with them lol

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Target Nathan Aspinall 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 286 04-18-2021, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Chris B
  Target Glen Durrant 80 Darts Review Getagrip 5 377 04-10-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Target Stephen Bunting Gen 4 Darts Review Getagrip 32 1,356 02-25-2021, 02:40 AM
Last Post: asquick
  Archers Power Play 24g darts review Getagrip 9 5,374 02-09-2021, 01:22 PM
Last Post: samsimilian
  Target Danny Baggish Gen 1 Darts Review Getagrip 20 896 02-08-2021, 03:06 PM
  Target Rob Cross Gen 2 Darts Review Getagrip 13 1,008 02-02-2021, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Bounce Out
  Target Orb 01 Darts Review Getagrip 8 1,110 01-25-2021, 05:04 PM
  Target Echo Darts Review Getagrip 16 995 01-18-2021, 03:36 PM
  Target Keane Barry Darts Review Getagrip 4 448 12-08-2020, 05:20 PM