Harrows Darts.

throw changing?
hello i was watching a slow motion video of the best players in the game and noticed they all throw there darts and there arm is fully extended when they throw,mine does not.I have been playing well i documented my darts and have hit 20 180s since march 6 but can be inconsistent and am thinking about changing my throw so i fully extend my arm as i believe that to be the only way to be that consistent,but im not sure would love some advice on this thanks. also i throw 27 gram sky pro 5 with laro silent spinners and may have to lighten darts but as is said advice would be appreciated
I think that going with the momentum takes some pressure from your elbow rather that anything else. But it is what is working, there have been some players who didn't fully extend. Even those who do release the dart quite early. 
(03-28-2016, 05:13 PM)JohnL. Wrote: I think that going with the momentum takes some pressure from your elbow rather that anything else. But it is what is working, there have been some players who didn't fully extend. Even those who do release the dart quite early. 
[Video: https://youtu.be/gEn49to3yu4]
thanks man i get what your saying but you see when phils arm is straight out after he throws i dont do that and am wondering if i should  you know
Steve Beaton is known (by many... not all) to have one of the nicest throws in history, I don't believe he fully extends.

ah ye i know steve the bronzed adonis love him haha im just looking to find out why sometimes a rouge 5 or even 12 will come out of nowhere when throwing maybe i just need to stick with what im doin thanks lads
When I was first learning the game Lowe was the man to copy. Sure compared to Bristow, Bobby and co he was a bit dull but he is also a lot less idiosyncratic than some. Especially Eric. Steve Beaton hadn't really made an impact back then.
(03-28-2016, 04:56 PM)blainlfc Wrote: hello i was watching a slow motion video of the best players in the game and noticed they all throw there darts and there arm is fully extended when they throw,mine does not.I have been playing well i documented my darts and have hit 20 180s since march 6 but can be inconsistent and am thinking about changing my throw so i fully extend my arm as i believe that to be the only way to be that consistent,but im not sure would love some advice on this thanks. also i throw 27 gram sky pro 5 with laro silent spinners and may have to lighten darts but as is said advice would be appreciated
If you have made a video of your throw you should post it up here so we can see the extent of your extension.

The one big change I made to my throw was to fully extend and it has made a big positive difference to my game. It wasn't a hard change to make but it takes a lot of repetition to make the change stick.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
i havent got the video anymore just got the girlfriend to take a quick video to see what i was doing wrong.I have been throwing with a full extension all day just to try it out it is going well i might keep it, hit 2 180s and finished 128 still stray darts but i feel like i have more control over where there going,maybe with practice it will tighten up
(03-28-2016, 05:18 PM)blainlfc Wrote: thanks man i get what your saying but you see when phils arm is straight out after he throws i dont do that and am wondering if i should  you know

Well theoretically as soon as the dart isn't touching your fingers anymore the rest of your throw shouldn't matter. However extending your arm really seems to be helpful in terms of accuracy, almost no professionals cut off their throw.
Barney doesn't seem to fully extend. Lisa Ashton either. There are "short-armers" out there. But, all things being equal, I nice smooth extension through the throw seems desirable. My "secret": I think about pointing my pointer finger at the target I'm aiming at at the end of the throw. So I end up pointing at what I wanted to hit. That creates a good follow through and also keeps my arm aligned with the target.
N80
(03-07-2019, 05:31 AM)None80 Wrote: Barney doesn't seem to fully extend. Lisa Ashton either. There are "short-armers" out there. But, all things being equal, I nice smooth extension through the throw seems desirable. My "secret": I think about pointing my pointer finger at the target I'm aiming at at the end of the throw. So I end up pointing at what I wanted to hit. That creates a good follow through and also keeps my arm aligned with the target.
N80

I disagree about Barney; I think his relaxed style makes it look like he isn't extending fully because it takes so long for his arm to get all the way out. But the ultimate short-armer has to be Lorraine Winstanley.
(03-07-2019, 06:34 AM)bkbum Wrote: I disagree about Barney; I think his relaxed style makes it look like he isn't extending fully because it takes so long for his arm to get all the way out. But the ultimate short-armer has to be Lorraine Winstanley.

Best example I can think of!
Love how there's a 3 year gap in this thread then it's just taken up again like it's never been away Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Bulls NL 501 pyramid grip 24g
L Style flights & stems
Unicorn Volute points
(03-07-2019, 06:34 AM)bkbum Wrote:
(03-07-2019, 05:31 AM)None80 Wrote: Barney doesn't seem to fully extend. Lisa Ashton either. There are "short-armers" out there. But, all things being equal, I nice smooth extension through the throw seems desirable. My "secret": I think about pointing my pointer finger at the target I'm aiming at at the end of the throw. So I end up pointing at what I wanted to hit. That creates a good follow through and also keeps my arm aligned with the target.
N80

I disagree about Barney; I think his relaxed style makes it look like he isn't extending fully because it takes so long for his arm to get all the way out. But the ultimate short-armer has to be Lorraine Winstanley.

Agreed, he is super fluid. But he doesn't have that full, aggressive arm extension you get with Taylor, MVG, Jamie Lewis, etc. He's not a short-armer though for sure! True re Winstanley!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Changing your throw! JadenKelly180 9 774 03-07-2019, 05:26 AM
Last Post: None80
  changing from right handed to left handed throw 1double1 4 468 04-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Last Post: 1double1