Shot Darts

Competition vs. Practice?
I've been wondering about this for a few days. I realize that practice is good for competition, but is it required?

Let's say you don't have the time to practice and just show up and play games. Would that qualify as practice? 

Sometimes I'll just turn on the Pro-Darter and start playing games. I get hammered early on but as I get my throw in control, after a few legs, I wonder if I should have spent time practicing for an hour instead of turning on the computer.
(03-16-2016, 05:05 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I've been wondering about this for a few days. I realize that practice is good for competition, but is it required?

Let's say you don't have the time to practice and just show up and play games. Would that qualify as practice? 

Sometimes I'll just turn on the Pro-Darter and start playing games. I get hammered early on but as I get my throw in control, after a few legs, I wonder if I should have spent time practicing for an hour instead of turning on the computer.

You answered your own question.  If you show up at a comp and cold start like you do against Pro-Darter, you'll likely get beat first round and be out of the tournament or accumulate losses for your team.

If you're not going to put in the practice before a match, at least arrive early to get the arm and stroke ready to throw competitively and let that be your practice.      I don't know many people that throw well that don't put in the time practicing when they have the time to get some in.
I agree completely I'm just wondering if you don't practice at all but just play your matches, is that "good enough"?
Don't get me wrong I love practice time but just asking, if a person doesn't have the time during the week, can they get by?
(03-16-2016, 05:53 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: I agree completely I'm just wondering if you don't practice at all but just play your matches, is that "good enough"?
Don't get me wrong I love practice time but just asking, if a person doesn't have the time during the week, can they get
A good friend of mine owns a bar that is heavily into darts and I played on their top team for several seasons.    When I first started playing for them, he would be on one of his boards daily and playing against some top level players.   He shot lights out darts and was one of the better players in league.    Fast forward a few years, now with 2 young girls involved in almost every activity under the sun after school and his love of coaching kids in the "Big 3" playground sports, he has very little time to practice and it shows in his game.   He has gone from being one of the top players to one that show flashes of brilliance amid mediocrity and is now sporting a mid 60% win average whereas at one time he was always in the upper 80+% player that could be counted on to win the close ones.

His priorities changed and so has his game, but when he's on, he's still a force to be reckoned with.   It's just that he's not "On" as much as before.
I think warm up is always good get your arm warmed up
I did read somewhere that if you don't practice then you have no right in complaining when you lose.
(03-16-2016, 11:15 PM)steve1 Wrote: I did read somewhere that if you don't practice then you have no right in complaining when you lose.

Saber, right???? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
This all makes good sense to me and don't get me wrong I practice up to 2 hours a day. I was just wondering what others thought about this.
Just compare it to studying for an exam.

Can you pass the exam without studying? Probably!
Will proper studying make it easier to pass? Yep!

Conclusion: if you want higher grades, study more.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Competition Practice routine. LesWallace180 11 2,125 11-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Razcheck