Shot Darts

Poll: Less elbow strain with
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
a heavier dart
40.00%
4 40.00%
a lighter dart
60.00%
6 60.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Help - Advice about the weight and the elbow-ache
Good evening Nutz,

I'm wondering something the last days. Here is my thoughts:
If you throw a heavier dart (lets say 25g) you don't need to give so much power to your throw rather than throwing a lighter one (e.g. 22g).
But others say that with a heavier dart you got tired quicker.
What is your opinion-expirience?

I came up with these thoughts the last copule of weeks cause a 12 year old injury in my elbow came up. I have arthritis in my right elbow the last weeks my elbow gets in pain very quickly. I used to play even over 100 legs in a day and now i got pain after 20 legs (with breaks).

Also what is your opinion with these elbow sleeves. Could they help? They just make your elbow more steady or they may change your actual throw commpletly?

P.S: to be honest i'm in a big slump the last couple of months and my throw isn't so smooth like it used to be, so maybe thats an extra reason for the pains
Honestly ,,,the "Compression Sleeve" could be the best thing for you,,,,My better half has chronic RA she has compression braces (sleeves for just about every joint in her body ,,,anles ,,knees ,,,elbows,,,,),,,,,Paul Lim wears a sleeve,,, so there must be something to it,,,,I do know the right 1 could help your circulation and help with any swelling,,,,but ultimately you will be the 1 to know,,,,,,good luck,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-13-2016, 02:20 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Honestly ,,,the "Compression Sleeve" could be the best thing for you,,,,My better half has chronic RA she has compression braces (sleeves for just about every joint in her body ,,,anles ,,knees ,,,elbows,,,,),,,,,Paul Lim wears a sleeve,,, so there must be something to it,,,,I do know the right 1 could help your circulation and help with any swelling,,,,but ultimately you will be the 1 to know,,,,,,good luck,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you very much. What is your opininion in the dart weight issue?
(03-13-2016, 12:20 AM)copigme Wrote: Good evening Nutz,

I'm wondering something the last days. Here is my thoughts:
If you throw a heavier dart (lets say 25g) you don't need to give so much power to your throw rather than throwing a lighter one (e.g. 22g).
But others say that with a heavier dart you got tired quicker.
What is your opinion-expirience?

I came up with these thoughts the last copule of weeks cause a 12 year old injury in my elbow came up. I have arthritis in my right elbow the last weeks my elbow gets in pain very quickly. I used to play even over 100 legs in a day and now i got pain after 20 legs (with breaks).

Also what is your opinion with these elbow sleeves. Could they help? They just make your elbow more steady or they may change your actual throw commpletly?

P.S: to be honest i'm in a big slump the last couple of months and my throw isn't so smooth like it used to be, so maybe thats an extra reason for the pains

(03-13-2016, 02:39 AM)copigme Wrote:
(03-13-2016, 02:20 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote: Honestly ,,,the "Compression Sleeve" could be the best thing for you,,,,My better half has chronic RA she has compression braces (sleeves for just about every joint in her body ,,,anles ,,knees ,,,elbows,,,,),,,,,Paul Lim wears a sleeve,,, so there must be something to it,,,,I do know the right 1 could help your circulation and help with any swelling,,,,but ultimately you will be the 1 to know,,,,,,good luck,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you very much. What is your opininion in the dart weight issue?

Let me weigh in on this, no pun intended.     I don't see much difference in 22 to 25 grams to be honest.   For me, it's when the darts get in the teens that I have had issues with tossing them and needing more snap on my release.    This tends to get more elbow extension, almost to the point of hyperextension, and that in turn has kept me away from the lighter darts.
This is from my Senior Consultant who's also a fitness fanatic: 

Compression works. It 'relieves' the pain to the point while doing a said activity, you may not feel the ache at all. But it can be a crutch in the sense that you're still performing the damaging activity, except you feel little or no pain.

A lot of darters, especially those using very light weight darts, use it to more to delay fatigue and pain onset. You'll find that it may take awhile to get used to it, but once that happens, things will flow very naturally so you don't have to change your technique in particular.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Best to get advise from a qualified physiotherapist about the pain management, stretching as well as strengthening exercises, as well as corrections to the motion with or without compression, but I'm not sure if there are physiotherapists familiar with the motion of throwing darts.

As for weight, the heavier a load, the more effort it takes to move it. It's physics. You'll need to find that window of felt inertia vs effort with a lighter or heavier dart, but it's likely with different weight, that you need to be able to throw slightly differently using different tempo and force. An observer may say it looks the same, but the timing and how you stroke is may be slightly different from a 25g dart to a 22g or lighter dart. You shouldn't have to over-extend or put extreme force with lighter darts if your technique is correct. Have a look at the top Japanese players in slow motion. While they look like they're over extending, they're not, and their stroke is effortless with 16-18g darts.

Please note that I am a layman, and here's to wishing you all the best.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-13-2016, 01:43 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: This is from my Senior Consultant who's also a fitness fanatic: 

Compression works. It 'relieves' the pain to the point while doing a said activity, you may not feel the ache at all. But it can be a crutch in the sense that you're still performing the damaging activity, except you feel little or no pain.

A lot of darters, especially those using very light weight darts, use it to more to delay fatigue and pain onset. You'll find that it may take awhile to get used to it, but once that happens, things will flow very naturally so you don't have to change your technique in particular.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Best to get advise from a qualified physiotherapist about the pain management, stretching as well as strengthening exercises, as well as corrections to the motion with or without compression, but I'm not sure if there are physiotherapists familiar with the motion of throwing darts.

As for weight, the heavier a load, the more effort it takes to move it. It's physics. You'll need to find that window of felt inertia vs effort with a lighter or heavier dart, but it's likely with different weight, that you need to be able to throw slightly differently using different tempo and force. An observer may say it looks the same, but the timing and how you stroke is may be slightly different from a 25g dart to a 22g or lighter dart. You shouldn't have to over-extend or put extreme force with lighter darts if your technique is correct. Have a look at the top Japanese players in slow motion. While they look like they're over extending, they're not, and their stroke is effortless with 16-18g darts.

Please note that I am a layman, and here's to wishing you all the best.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you very much Ancient Darter.
I'm starting think more serioulsy about those compresion sleeves. Maybe i'll buy one  from a pharmachy next week.
Thought I'd throw in my $.02 about recovery and the use of a compression sleeve. Most of the runners I know use compression at some time to aid recovery after long efforts. Not many use them during the run but after seems to help them. I wonder if that might help you, after a practice session?
(03-13-2016, 04:12 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Thought I'd throw in my $.02 about recovery and the use of a compression sleeve. Most of the runners I know use compression at some time to aid recovery after long efforts. Not many use them during the run but after seems to help them. I wonder if that might help you, after a practice session?

After the practice or game? not during them?
Copigme, you can use it through out - that's how others use them. And if you need to, as SlingBlade mentioned, for recovery.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Are there any specific warm up exercises you do before darting?

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Beware ,,, I am sure their are more than I type of sleeve ,,, I can almost guaranty that the Sleeve Paul Lim wear's while playing darts will be different than the sleeve you can find at Walgreens or Walmart,,,,,You could possible do more damage if you use the wrong 1,,,,, ??? So be careful,,, do the research,,, and talk to a qualified medical tech,,,to be sure,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Agreed.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here's a review by Getagrip: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=3186

Other thoughts, read Big Doog's post especially: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=12504

https://www.wazzasworldofdarts.com/index...ion-sleeve

Search ebay as well as amazon once you know what brand you want to get.

Cheers!

Thank you very much guys. So i'll stick to my 25g barneys and make a serious research for compression sleeves.
I hope the link you sent me will clear my mind about the sleeve selction.
(03-13-2016, 05:28 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Copigme, you can use it through out - that's how others use them. And if you need to, as SlingBlade mentioned, for recovery.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Are there any specific warm up exercises you do before darting?

No i don't. I never thought about that. I would be gratefull if you can give me any directions about any excersices that would help.
The only thing i do is to throw some darts for warm up
I really cannot say with any certainty what exercises could be good for you, as I am not trained or know your history. While it would be best to consult a qualified physiotherapist, sometimes it's difficult due to unavailability, cost or other factors.

These are several guides that may help, or may make your condition worse. I have no way to verify it's usefulness or authenticity.

Apparently, warming packs help before stretching (I use a hairdryer on low heat for my shoulder tendinitis), and ice packs helps with acute pain and inflammation.

Please don't stretch if you encounter prolonged or acute pain, and seek relief/medical attention.

All the best Copigme.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Stretching PDF: fileGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.//CGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Users/inspiron%20one/Downloads/2044%20Elbow%20Pain%20exercises%2014-1.pdf  (Don't know why this doesn't link. Just copy this link and paste it in a new internet window where the address is)

Article: https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth...yself.aspx

More advance stretching. Perhaps it might be best NOT to do the advanced ones: https://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8113050...dvisor.htm

You can also Google 'how to stretch an elbow with arthritis'

(03-23-2016, 11:49 AM)Ancient Darter Wrote: I really cannot say with any certainty what exercises could be good for you, as I am not trained or know your history. While it would be best to consult a qualified physiotherapist, sometimes it's difficult due to unavailability, cost or other factors.

These are several guides that may help, or may make your condition worse. I have no way to verify it's usefulness or authenticity.

Apparently, warming packs help before stretching (I use a hairdryer on low heat for my shoulder tendinitis), and ice packs helps with acute pain and inflammation.

Please don't stretch if you encounter prolonged or acute pain, and seek relief/medical attention.

All the best Copigme.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Stretching PDF: fileGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.//CGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Users/inspiron%20one/Downloads/2044%20Elbow%20Pain%20exercises%2014-1.pdf  (Don't know why this doesn't link. Just copy this link and paste it in a new internet window where the address is)

.thank you so much ancient darter you are the best
Article: https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arth...yself.aspx

More advance stretching. Perhaps it might be best NOT to do the advanced ones: https://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8113050...dvisor.htm

You can also Google 'how to stretch an elbow with arthritis'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elbow help! JamesS97180 3 291 04-15-2020, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  Is my elbow ok? Troll 4 471 09-20-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Cateye
  elbow bdebbane 3 506 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: bdebbane
  Darts weight advice Reaper 7 1,379 10-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ReggaeDarts
  elbow up? Spike Adams 6 1,067 07-08-2018, 11:24 AM