Harrows Darts.

Getting over the finishing line
So imagine the following situation...

You are playing league night. You are not at your best, but somehow you are in the lead 4-1, and you need just one more leg, to log another win (local league 's formar is best of 8 legs, so draws are possible).

The opponent takes one leg, then another. It 's now 4-3 and you are in danger of conceeding a draw (4-4).

Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? How do you manage to get over the finishing line, when you are clearly in the lead?

Have you lost games that you were in the lead? How?

Share your experiences below Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."
It isn't easy to do, but just focus on your target. Get all the other win loss junk out of your head.

I was up in the finals of a singles cash league. I needed one more leg for the win. My opponent threw a 12 darter on throw. Lol. Last leg, he outshot me as well.

In a tournament, it was 2-2 in the best of 3. After 15 darts, I'm sitting close to a finish. My opponent takes out 153 to win the match.

Sometimes, you just get beat. If your opponent beats you, so be it. Don't beat yourself.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-10-2016, 05:36 PM)Milkysunshine Wrote: Sometimes, you just get beat. If your opponent beats you, so be it. Don't beat yourself.

A gem of wisdom! I 'll remember that. +1 rep!
(03-10-2016, 05:24 PM)Balin Wrote: So imagine the following situation...

You are playing league night. You are not at your best, but somehow you are in the lead 4-1, and you need just one more leg, to log another win (local league 's formar is best of 8 legs, so draws are possible).

The opponent takes one leg, then another. It 's now 4-3 and you are in danger of conceeding a draw (4-4).

Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation? How do you manage to get over the finishing line, when you are clearly in the lead?

Have you lost games that you were in the lead? How?

Share your experiences below Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Sadly I don't have to imagine this situation.  This is exactly what is happening to me right now.  We play best of 5 legs per set in my singles league and I can't tell you how many  I have lost in the 5th leg.  Even have a shot to finish the game. 

I have been focusing on doubles practice as I know this is what is letting me down right now.  I know my confidence will return once I get over that hump.
I don't know if it's doubles practice that is needed. You may hit every double in practice, but miss every double under pressure.

So, we need to develop the ability to finish off the leg, when our opponent is waiting on a checkout that we know she can hit. Not an easy task for certain.
Ignore what your opponent is doing and just play the board
In 501, that's the case for sure.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-11-2016, 07:47 AM)mc1958 Wrote: Ignore what your opponent is doing and just play the board

Easier said than done. We do play against other people, so i think it's impossible to ignore what your opponent is doing.

You can't ignore your opponent's gameshot for example Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If your opponent start playing much better in the last legs its not your fault he is just playing better.
If you start playing Poo in the last legs thats the problem. Thats the situation that you have to fight with your dirty mind.
In my opinion for my latest experience is just some times that you don't let yourself to win just to fulfill what you decided before the much: "I will lose".
(03-13-2016, 12:09 AM)copigme Wrote: If your opponent start playing much better in the last legs its not your fault he is just playing better.
If you start playing Poo in the last legs thats the problem. Thats the situation that you have to fight with your dirty mind.
In my opinion for my latest experience is just some times that you don't let yourself to win just to fulfill what you decided before the much: "I will lose".

Hillbilly decipher,,,, don't shoot yourself in the foot before you get to the oche,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(03-13-2016, 02:25 AM)0ldjoblo Wrote:
(03-13-2016, 12:09 AM)copigme Wrote: If your opponent start playing much better in the last legs its not your fault he is just playing better.

Hillbilly decipher,,,, don't shoot yourself in the foot before you get to the oche,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

i wish my english was better to understand all the sentence. "hillbilly decipher"?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worries on the line Grey Owl 7 1,125 11-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Last Post: nivla