Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Follow Through (1 million dollar question)
Hi everyone! It's me again. After playing casually for another month (started at in mid January), I found out a problem. I'm contemplating whether to do follow through or not. Here's the problem. For hitting 20s' , it's effective when I follow through but it's not accurate whenever I want to hit a bull. I feel extremely comfortable following through whenever I'm going for 20 region but I'm struggling to hit bull if I follow through. So far, I'm snapping halfway through if I'm aiming for bull and follow through whenever I'm aiming for 20s. Please help me as I'm playing soft tip darts. I really wanna develop a good follow through to hit  the bull but so far, it's only effective for hitting 20s ( sometimes treble 20). I wish I could hit the bulls like I hit the 20s... Please help me.. For now, I hit bulls more accurately if I snap my hand halfway, which is a bad habit and doesn't generate any consistency. Please teach me what to do..
- Harrows Assassin Expert AX5 (18g)
Have you thought about "Flight School",,,, it's free to members here ,,,, and it will set you on the path of more consistency ,,,, all you need is time,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Definitely try flight school it's the most effective way of improving. Also try reading George Silberzahn's book 'darts beginning to end' I'm reading it now and its really good!
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Just give it time, you've only been playing for 6 weeks. It wont feel completely natural yet so just keep throwing at the bull and following through and you'll get there.
Agree with eammoncass. Look at it one hand - this is your time to experiment, learn and develop. What works one week may not another though. It can be really fun, but can also give you endless frustration ... because there's no foundation.

However, if you follow one set technique, and build up on it, even if it doesn't work, at least you or your instructor can pin-point what worked and what didn't.

There's nothing like starting from the basics, and follow-through is one of the essential elements of a successful stroke.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

All the best!
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
More practice
(02-24-2016, 04:50 PM)Aaron Chan Wrote: Hi everyone! It's me again. After playing casually for another month (started at in mid January), I found out a problem. I'm contemplating whether to do follow through or not. Here's the problem. For hitting 20s' , it's effective when I follow through but it's not accurate whenever I want to hit a bull. I feel extremely comfortable following through whenever I'm going for 20 region but I'm struggling to hit bull if I follow through. So far, I'm snapping halfway through if I'm aiming for bull and follow through whenever I'm aiming for 20s. Please help me as I'm playing soft tip darts. I really wanna develop a good follow through to hit  the bull but so far, it's only effective for hitting 20s ( sometimes treble 20). I wish I could hit the bulls like I hit the 20s... Please help me.. For now, I hit bulls more accurately if I snap my hand halfway, which is a bad habit and doesn't generate any consistency. Please teach me what to do..

I start to waffle on a bit here so executive summary is in bold.

I can't bring my self to believe that it's a good idea, long term, to have one way of throwing for 20's and another for bulls as one of the aims of practice is to develop a consistent and repeatable throw.

Try filming yourself throwing at 20's and then throwing at bulls.  Is there an obvious difference?  When I'm trying to develop/reaffirm my follow through I try to consciously follow through towards the target.  When I film this there's a visible difference depending on what I'm aiming at: my follow through when throwing at D20 is higher than when I throw at D3.  My throw is intended to be the same but the entire plane shifts down when aiming at targets lower on the board.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
I will just leave these here

Chris White

======

Tubby McTubStain
(02-24-2016, 08:08 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Agree with eammoncass. Look at it one hand - this is your time to experiment, learn and develop. What works one week may not another though. It can be really fun, but can also give you endless frustration ... because there's no foundation.

However, if you follow one set technique, and build up on it, even if it doesn't work, at least you or your instructor can pin-point what worked and what didn't.

There's nothing like starting from the basics, and follow-through is one of the essential elements of a successful stroke.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

All the best!

Yea, exactly. It's really frustrating.. I know I can hit more bulls without follow through but I still do it for the sake of.. more bulls=less frustration .. It's like u know french fries is bad for health but you'd still eat it anyway.. Why do I emphasize so much on the results?!?! I know I shouldn't be emphasizing on results first but who doesn't like to have a decent result right? I always tell myself grouping>result but always end up in frustration ..
(02-25-2016, 01:56 AM)Aaron Chan Wrote:
(02-24-2016, 08:08 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Agree with eammoncass. Look at it one hand - this is your time to experiment, learn and develop. What works one week may not another though. It can be really fun, but can also give you endless frustration ... because there's no foundation.

All the best!

Yea, exactly. It's really frustrating.. I know I can hit more bulls without follow through but I still do it for the sake of.. more bulls=less frustration .. It's like u know french fries is bad for health but you'd still eat it anyway.. Why do I emphasize so much on the results?!?! I know I shouldn't be emphasizing on results first but who doesn't like to have a decent result right? I always tell myself grouping>result but always end up in frustration ..

Tedchnical:  Learn to follow through.  
Mental game: Learn to deal with frustration.

I bet you convince yourself to miss bulls, because it validates your feelings of frustration.

Or, you've just been throwing mindlessly at the T20, so you can hit them better.  The flight school suggestion is a lot better than you think. Flight school is hard. Flight school can be incredibly boring..... learn to deal with that too: think of that as improving your mental game while your tech game slowly improves.....make no mistake: it takes YEARS to get good.
I can't think of a sport where throwing or hitting an object is the main objective that doesn't require some form of follow through.    Look at baseball players throwing and batting, basketball players, quarterbacks in football, they all follow through their throw.    Even bowlers follow through after they release the bowling ball and usually wind up with their arm in a position well beyond where they release it.

Golfers torque their bodies into near contortion looking stances by the end of their swing.  

You need to give it more time since you've only been playing such a short time.   Believe me, it will come with patience, practice and consistentcy in your throwing motion.    The more you fiddle with it, the more you're likely to create more problems.  Just give it time to develop.
(02-25-2016, 02:44 AM)BigE Wrote:

All the best!

I bet you convince yourself to miss bulls, because it validates your feelings of frustration.

Or, you've just been throwing mindlessly at the T20, so you can hit them better.  The flight school suggestion is a lot better than you think. Flight school is hard. Flight school can be incredibly boring..... learn to deal with that too: think of that as improving your mental game while your tech game slowly improves.....make no mistake: it takes YEARS to get good.

It's like without follow through = better bull rates (bad habit) vs practice follow through but lesser bull rates and its frustrating.. Im getting a dartboard soon so I can start flight school. FOr now, I'm actually playing with my friends outside so no time for flight school prac. Just some casual games with friends..
(02-25-2016, 03:42 AM)Aaron Chan Wrote:

All the best!

It's like without follow through = better bull rates (bad habit) vs practice follow through but lesser bull rates and its frustrating.. Im getting a dartboard soon so I can start flight school. FOr now, I'm actually playing with my friends outside so no time for flight school prac. Just some casual games with friends..

Follow through.  Scoring is irrelevant in the short term..... a total distraction.  That will come in spades if you learn to follow through.
(02-25-2016, 04:42 AM)BigE Wrote:
(02-25-2016, 03:42 AM)Aaron Chan Wrote:

All the best!

Follow through.  Scoring is irrelevant in the short term..... a total distraction.  That will come in spades if you learn to follow through.

Alright, will try my best to get as comfy as possible.. If its steel tip, I'm progressing because I can hit 20s easily.. but its the fact that im playing soft tip where a bull scores higher..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  training darts for follow through Eso Rimmer 8 458 03-17-2020, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Eso Rimmer
  Best way to ensure full follow thru Eddie_Arrow 9 833 03-05-2020, 01:10 AM
Last Post: Corrosion
  working on follow through akprice 2 363 01-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: akprice
  Follow Through Xkyle813x 6 755 07-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Follow through help and tips GutshotGrant 6 782 03-28-2018, 05:05 PM
Last Post: GutshotGrant
  Follow through Roberts7286 21 4,726 01-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Increasing my follow through Banz 25 3,821 11-03-2015, 06:19 AM
Last Post: nivla
  Hands after release and follow through(NOW with pictures) Grey Owl 9 3,540 10-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Last Post: BigE
  I have follow through but ALWAYS end up pointing towards left of D11 Regulatori 12 2,806 11-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Last Post: brenthahn