Double Top Darts.

AFC Pilot 17g darts review

Video link = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV4wilAb8Yk

Thanks to Darwin Talbot for sending these darts for review.

Darwin is a member of the forum and he lives and works in South Korea and is original from the U.S.

He plays for a soft tip darts team called Ambassador Flight Crew (AFC) and they had a dart designed and had 100 sets made and this is the result the Pilot 17g soft tip dart.

It is barrels only and they are 90% tungsten and if you wish to buy a set they cost 110,000 Korean Won which is approximately £64 but he has kindly sent 3 sets so I will be giving 2 sets away at some point very soon so keep your eyes peeled Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You can buy them from the team here: https://www.facebook.com/a.flightcrew/

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

As stated it is barrels only but they come in a very neat little round tin with lots of foam padding to keep them safe and secure:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The darts have a very interesting accordion style grip on the rear which is enhanced a little by grooves and notches its a great design that has a nice feel.  I would say its probably close to a high medium level of grip.  The barrels are etched with the teams logo and name and also each barrel is uniquely numbered out of 100.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

The barrels are closely matched, just four hundredths of a gram difference between lightest and heaviest:

Here is an example of what they may weight with a full set up:

BALANCE:

With a soft tip point attached the balance is towards the front:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems, lip points and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

These worked rather well from the rear so I was gripping there Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

CONCLUSION:

I think the AFC guys have done really well with this dart, its got a great design and looks good and the grip is kind of unique and they are very nicely machined.

Of course its another design for rear grippers and although it did not fly too bad with my front grip I cant say I would recommend it for a front gripper.

It did fly quite well from the middle and where I gripped it in the middle was kind of like a scallop but it was comfy and the darts kept a stable flatish flight so could be a good dart for middle grippers.

Out of all the grip positions though I think I did best throwing from the rear.  As is usual for me it feels a little weird and was a bit awkward at first but I hit more bulls eyes with the rear grip and it had a more similar arc to my steel tips when throwing from there.  The balance is rather nice with the rear grip and the accordion style grip of the barrel provides enough grip but releases nice and cleanly.  So should certainly work well if your a natural rear gripper.

Overall its a very well made dart and only 100 sets made so its a limited edition too I guess, well worth it for rear grippers and worth a look for middle grippers too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 8 (nice design)
Grip: 7 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (Close)
Quality: 9 (rather good)
Value: 7 (only 100 sets so not too bad)
Suitability for me: 6.5 (worked quite well with my rear grip)

Best Feature: Accordion style grip. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Those are very cool. I'll keep my eyes open for when 2 go up for grabs. Love the tin too
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
Yeah hopefully will do something soon, not had much time to do stuff lately as my favourite uncle has been ill and he passed away yesterday morning sadly.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Oh dear ... my condolences to you and his family, Darren.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks Chris Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review ,,, I would love to own (and throw) a set of these,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Very nice, great review as usual, eyecatching design and that tin is a great little addition :thumbup:
These look stunning.
Thanks for your Review and for tempting me.

Sad to hear the other Part. My heartfelt sympathy to the whole Family.
(02-19-2016, 07:49 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Yeah hopefully will do something soon, not had much time to do stuff lately as my favourite uncle has been ill and he passed away yesterday morning sadly.

Oh sh*t, so sorry to hear this Darren. My condolences to you. Nows not the time to worry about doing stuff on here.
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
Another great review Grip

Thoughts with you regarding your uncle.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Ah Darren I feel for you losing your Uncle. Really tough and maybe doing this review was good therapy for you. I sure think the darts look good but throwing softies isn't my style
Thanks everyone! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

My condolences and an excellent review as ever.
I do not play soft tip but if i did I'd fancy these. Love the packaging.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

(02-20-2016, 09:54 AM)jc14 Wrote: My condolences and an excellent review as ever.
I do not play soft tip but if i did I'd fancy these.  Love the packaging.

Thanks John Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review and an interesting dart with nice tin packaging Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. +1

Member previously known as Daveheald