Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Struggling to find a throw
Hi, i have found a comfortable grip and darts but i'm still struggling to find a throw. I don't know how i should throw as there are so many ways to throw. What do you suggest? I have tried different throws but all of them seems comfortable so i don't know which one to stick with
Darts - Red Dragon Rowby-John Rodriguez - 26 gram 

Flights - Amazon Standard White Flights

Stems - Target Pro Grip Medium Stems White
I've said it a thousand times before and I'm sure I'll say it another thousand times in the future. Comfortable, natural, practice.
Your natural throw is always best, just try not to think about it too much and keep practicing it, good luck Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-18-2016, 09:39 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: I've said it a thousand times before and I'm sure I'll say it another thousand times in the future. Comfortable, natural, practice.
Your natural throw is always best, just try not to think about it too much and keep practicing it, good luck Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

that's the problem, i have only been playing for about 3 months and since i started i still haven't found my "natural throw" i don't know what my natural throw is
Darts - Red Dragon Rowby-John Rodriguez - 26 gram 

Flights - Amazon Standard White Flights

Stems - Target Pro Grip Medium Stems White
(02-18-2016, 09:40 PM)twiggy Wrote:
(02-18-2016, 09:39 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: I've said it a thousand times before and I'm sure I'll say it another thousand times in the future. Comfortable, natural, practice.

that's the problem, i have only been playing for about 3 months and since i started i still haven't found my "natural throw" i don't know what my natural throw is

Here's my advice  - don't pick up a dart -
pick a pencil and throw it at your board -
that's your natural throw
Just don't think about it mate just pick up the darts, stand at the oche and throw. Don't think about it just do it, that's your natural grip, stance and throw. Over thinking is like darting cancer, that's when things start to go tits up
I'll offer a different opinion...

If you have a few different ways of throwing that all seem as natural (or unnatural) as each other then pick the one that is most technically correct.  Film yourself throwing in these different ways and take a look - it's probably not how you perceived it to be.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
When I started out a few months ago I found that Im able to throw a few different ways and a few different stances.  But at the end of a session, all but one style of throw and one stance gives me issues.  A good hour or so doing the same thing will let you figure out what is comfortable or not.

For example, I found good accuracy with right foot forward, a decent lean in towards the board and being front on.  Sure it was good accuracy, but after a while my darts were landing tail down and to the right and my front leg was getting sore.  Would end up with a headache and scores and accuracy would go down the toilet.  Ive ended up standing side on and lining myself up square to the board, get the arm out and elbow up, aim, and watch my draw back, release and watch follow through straight down the line.  Not trying to throw hard, not trying to spin the dart, just focus on straight back, release and follow through.  Its possible to feel when Im not doing it correctly which is good for self improvement and in the end I can stay in the shed for hours throwing and throwing and not get sore.  Apart from my ears when the missus yells out for not doing the dishes or making the kids bottles or such Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Initially I wasnt getting the scores I could the other way and tried to persist with something that would score better but wasnt comfortable.  Doing that made it all unpleasant.  Comfort and practice has made my darts alot better than they were (which still aint great but its a work in progess)

Good luck
 Its all a work in progress... one throw at a time Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Mr. Yates analogy is a very good one indeed. Since you are still very early in your darting game you are going to have to go through the school of hard knocks to learn YOUR throw, not just the physical throw, but stance, speed, dart tuning, and more. Although the throw appears to be straight forward, each and everyone's is marginally different so it is difficult for anyone to tell you how to do it. As Mr. Yates said get a good solid, repeatable grip first and foremost and then don't change it. Now you can develop your stance and so on. Dart tuning is also a very important aspect that can't be overlooked since a poorly tuned dart is not going to fly straight, or as straight as it should and your results will suffer. Once you have the above in relatively good and comfortable shape then do the A1 segment of flight school. Keep track of your progress with a certain stance and then make a change. Compare the results of the 2 or 3 or 4 different setups and see which works best. This may take several months to find a repetitive, comfortable, reliable, overall throw that works for YOU. More than likely it won't be exactly right for anyone else, just the nature of the beast. Spend the time, be patient, be open minded, and willing to change/adapt and it will all magically fall into place one fine day and away you go. I've been messing around with your scenario now for over a year and I've progressed pretty good in my opinion. But some night was ready to scream in frustration, but that's the beauty of the game. Best of luck and hope things work out quickly and well for you. And have fun doing itGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.:
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(02-19-2016, 12:41 AM)Brad Yates Wrote: When I started out a few months ago I found that Im able to throw a few different ways and a few different stances.  But at the end of a session, all but one style of throw and one stance gives me issues.  A good hour or so doing the same thing will let you figure out what is comfortable or not.

For example, I found good accuracy with right foot forward, a decent lean in towards the board and being front on.  Sure it was good accuracy, but after a while my darts were landing tail down and to the right and my front leg was getting sore.  Would end up with a headache and scores and accuracy would go down the toilet.  Ive ended up standing side on and lining myself up square to the board, get the arm out and elbow up, aim, and watch my draw back, release and watch follow through straight down the line.  Not trying to throw hard, not trying to spin the dart, just focus on straight back, release and follow through.  Its possible to feel when Im not doing it correctly which is good for self improvement and in the end I can stay in the shed for hours throwing and throwing and not get sore.  Apart from my ears when the missus yells out for not doing the dishes or making the kids bottles or such Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Initially I wasnt getting the scores I could the other way and tried to persist with something that would score better but wasnt comfortable.  Doing that made it all unpleasant.  Comfort and practice has made my darts alot better than they were (which still aint great but its a work in progess)

Good luck

Some really good advice there. I would concur with the sentiment that comfort is vital. Find a comfortable, repeatable stance, get your elbow up and bring that arm back and forward on a straight plane.
There's a decent video from Wayne Mardle here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJqP6xvDrNw
Although I wouldn't take in everything Wayne says, he does make some good points here and getting the basics right and the arm flowing in a straight line will serve you well over time. Even practice just the arm movement with no dart in your hand to work on getting a motion that suits
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

This is my way to correct my throw.

When I start to struggle with any part of my throw i.e., my stance, grip or release, and I don’t hit where I should hit then I do as follows. 

1. I fix my stance if required.
  2. Then I check my grip and release.
  3. I throw some darts to the board to check them out.
  4. I pick my favourite double (D16) from the dartboard and start to throw darts there. Cause I have hit that under pressure and it feels more natural to throw it and if I miss it it’s quite easy to analyse why I didn’t hit it.  When I have hit it 3 – 4 times at the first dart D16 and my throw feels still good I change the target something more challenging (Tr9). When I have hit it 3-4 rounds a row that treble and my throw feels good then I change again my target. I keep on throwing. (D18, Tr15, Bull, Tr20). When I feel that my throw and focus are okay then I will continue my practise session.

I hope this one will help someone else too.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

With regards,

Jusa
relax and it will come good as soon as you find something that works for yo just stay with it.
Go Flight School...its the answer to your problem.. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Struggling with the 1st dart eskoo 1 206 04-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Struggling with Throw and Release joelrussell19 4 492 02-05-2020, 04:47 AM
Last Post: YoungStarDC
  cant find a throw or grip that feels right, need advice Liam Twigg 7 1,035 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dj_stat8
  Struggling in matches Namesoom 5 435 12-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Struggling in most areas... clem1995 21 1,552 08-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: nightcrawler
  Struggling with my throw and need outside advice. watsontotty 10 1,718 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: watsontotty
  Help me find a new set of darts. Tez Tickle 11 1,711 05-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Viking
  Struggling to find a comfortable grip? twiggy 11 3,788 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: TheCrane180
  Struggling with throw, grip!! Joshthomas1203 9 1,456 03-08-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Chardotz
  Struggling to group the darts? twiggy 9 1,646 02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Getagrip