Shot Darts

Neck pain - help!
Oh no.  I've got pain in my neck.

I'm new to the game (2 1/2 months or so) but have been actively researching and practicing just about every day.  Some of you have seen me around and helped with questions.

My issue today is neck pain.  For the past day, when I take my position at the oche, set up, and try to throw I get a debilitating pain in the back/side of my neck.  Probably over use from spending so many hours throwing.  Some of you guys must have had this?  What have you found helpful for recovery?

My thoughts are, like with any strain ..... rest, massage, gentle stretching.  What do you think?
I have that aswell, I think we're just falling apart lol
Let's not list our aches and pains... or I'll be adding "fingers from typing this list" to my list.....

Long story short... stretch.... stretch.... and stretch....
yoga helps

Thanks guys. Now that I have pain, I'm fiddling around with posture and positioning .... and I think the ready position I have been using recently is a little tense and un-natural. Must try to find a more relaxed pose at the oche.
(02-17-2016, 03:54 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: I have that aswell, I think we're just falling apart lol

I went to your profile to see your age ...... and all I can say is, wait another 30+ years!

I ran 4 half marathons and one full marathon last year ..... and now I've injured myself playing darts.  Go figure.
(02-17-2016, 04:19 PM)MadMike4 Wrote: Thanks guys.  Now that I have pain, I'm fiddling around with posture and positioning .... and I think the ready position I have been using recently is a little tense and un-natural.  Must try to find a more relaxed pose at the oche.

You beat me to my reply.    I was going to say tension at the line and stiffening up the neck muscles are probably leading to the pain.    Good for you to realize that relaxation at the oche is a good thing.    Besides causing pain, tension at the line can really take it's toll on your throwing motion, which in turn leads to frustration, which in turn leads to even more tension.    It's a vicious cycle.
This is a Darts Forum not Web M.D lol
(02-17-2016, 04:25 PM)MadMike4 Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 03:54 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: I have that aswell, I think we're just falling apart lol

I went to your profile to see your age ...... and all I can say is, wait another 30+ years!

I ran 4 half marathons and one full marathon last year ..... and now I've injured myself playing darts.  Go figure.

Yeah got a lot to look forward to I know lol. I'd be fine if I wasn't so reckless as a kid with various breaks, fractures and injuries
Just from my running background I find that it's sometimes not a great idea to hit the oche after a longer run. The legs are too tight and that will radiate imbalances creating problems all along the spine. I've ran 26 marathons so know just a little about sore muscles. Don't twist at the line either.............or maybe stop running? Yea right like that's ever worked for me. I'm headed out now to run the dog
(02-17-2016, 04:32 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 04:19 PM)MadMike4 Wrote: Thanks guys.  Now that I have pain, I'm fiddling around with posture and positioning .... and I think the ready position I have been using recently is a little tense and un-natural.  Must try to find a more relaxed pose at the oche.

You beat me to my reply.    I was going to say tension at the line and stiffening up the neck muscles are probably leading to the pain.    Good for you to realize that relaxation at the oche is a good thing.    Besides causing pain, tension at the line can really take it's toll on your throwing motion, which in turn leads to frustration, which in turn leads to even more tension.    It's a vicious cycle.

Thanks Gumbo.  I think we've nailed the cause.  In trying to get more accurate/precise, my shoulders and neck have been getting tense ... add that to throwing for often 2 hours a day and I have a recipe for .... a SORE NECK.  It doesn't help that I'm short and I have to look up to the top portion of the board.
(02-17-2016, 04:46 PM)MadMike4 Wrote:
(02-17-2016, 04:32 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:

Thanks Gumbo.  I think we've nailed the cause.  In trying to get more accurate/precise, my shoulders and neck have been getting tense ... add that to throwing for often 2 hours a day and I have a recipe for .... a SORE NECK.  It doesn't help that I'm short and I have to look up to the top portion of the board.

I suffer from pain in the thorasic and cervical area I bought a bean filled sausage shaped neck support , that goes into the microwave, heat it up 2/3 sessions gives some relief for a short time maybe worth a try , not a cure mind, best of luck.
Big Red One - I suffer from pain in the thorasic and cervical area I bought a bean filled sausage shaped neck support , that goes into the microwave, heat it up 2/3 sessions gives some relief for a short time maybe worth a try , not a cure mind, best of luck.

Thanks! Yes, heat should help also.
do some stretching before and after your darts session, helps this old fool!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pain in knee Mumbles11 2 241 03-21-2020, 11:23 AM
Last Post: southpaw_8585
  Muscle pain codo180 4 487 01-23-2020, 04:09 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Pain under shoulderblade twentytwo 1 386 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Last Post: Cooper84
  Knee Pain experiences dj_stat8 11 821 05-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: theblindPew
  Neck Operation hplou 5 444 01-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Cat
  Pain in wrist/hand when throwing! ross.e 4 3,009 01-08-2017, 04:37 PM
Last Post: *Saber*
  Elbow pain/injury - has anyone recovered? skinnygav 12 1,810 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Last Post: copigme
  Pain in the back Toron 7 1,028 09-28-2015, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Getagrip