Target Darts.

For a new player, Is it good or bad to try new darts every few weeks?
as the title asks, For a new player, Is it good or bad to try new darts every few weeks? I like lighter darts but i didn't like the shape i had so i tried heavier and felt to heavy and i was hitting waay above where i was throwing, now i am looking for lighter darts but with a shape i want. Is it bad i am doing this?
Darts - Red Dragon Rowby-John Rodriguez - 26 gram 

Flights - Amazon Standard White Flights

Stems - Target Pro Grip Medium Stems White
Bitta both in my opinion. You gotta find the right dart for you, that goes for weight, shape, grip, the works. But you also gotta give each dart some time and practice with them so you can figure out if it's right for you and where to go from there if it isn't. Everyone's different, some people find the right dart real quick and some take years, and some, like me, are still searching lol.
(02-16-2016, 09:41 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: Bitta both in my opinion. You gotta find the right dart for you, that goes for weight, shape, grip, the works. But you also gotta give each dart some time and practice with them so you can figure out if it's right for you and where to go from there if it isn't. Everyone's different, some people find the right dart real quick and some take years, and some, like me, are still searching lol.

Ye, i have been using the Gary Anderson Phase 3's for about 3 weeks now and i like them but they are just too heavy for me. So i'm going to go back to 22g. Probably XQ Max Vincent Van Der Voort's 22g Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Sounds fine to me, I found out my prefered shape pretty quickly (well to be honest there isn't that many, most are just derivatives of others with different grip etc) and for me that's more important than weight, I'm pretty happy anywhere between 23-26g as long as it's my shape and my usual stem/flight set up.

I wouldn't over do it though, decide what shape you like, a rough weight within a couple of grams and stick with that .. if you stick with the same shape that feels 'right' when you grab it, it's far easier to get a feel for weights as to me different shapes feel like different weights even if they are the same.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
(02-16-2016, 09:45 PM)FireInTheCity Wrote: Sounds fine to me, I found out my prefered shape pretty quickly (well to be honest there isn't that many, most are just derivatives of others with different grip etc) and for me that's more important than weight, I'm pretty happy anywhere between 23-26g as long as it's my shape and my usual stem/flight set up.

I wouldn't over do it though, decide what shape you like, a rough weight within a couple of grams and stick with that .. if you stick with the same shape that feels 'right' when you grab it, it's far easier to get a feel for weights as to me different shapes feel like different weights even if they are the same.

I found my preferred shape with my most recent set, they are just too heavy so i'm going to get a lighter set with a similar shape and stick with them Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. thanks f or the reply

(02-16-2016, 09:43 PM)twiggy Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 09:41 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote: Bitta both in my opinion. You gotta find the right dart for you, that goes for weight, shape, grip, the works. But you also gotta give each dart some time and practice with them so you can figure out if it's right for you and where to go from there if it isn't. Everyone's different, some people find the right dart real quick and some take years, and some, like me, are still searching lol.

Ye, i have been using the Gary Anderson Phase 3's for about 3 weeks now and i like them but they are just too heavy for me. So i'm going to go back to 22g. Probably XQ Max Vincent Van Der Voort's 22g Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

To be fair them VVdV's are lovely darts! Always wanted some myself. Good luck on your darting journey anyways mate. Just keep having fun with it
In my case it was a little disturbing, I got used to my old darts and they worked very well for me but I wanted a new set so bad. So I got myself an new set and they didn't fly like my old ones and I had to throw them for a couple of days until they worked for me the way I wanted. What I want to say is that if you are not sure about your throw, stay with the same darts until you have a consistent throw.

On the other hand if you don't feel right about your current darts, get a set that suits you and get a consistent throw with that set. Hope this can help you a bit...

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Target Perfect Storm 22g  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A new player was throwing heavy darts and they were going too high you say Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Yes, being new is a great time to try everything and anything you can
Do what ever you enjoy , we all only play for fun and are not pros
Consider me a beginner of sorts ... I stuck with just one at first for several months thinking of how much money I was saving, till the Nutz virus infiltrated my system, then all hell broke loose!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Kept buying several sets every few weeks, many of which I never even tried, sold them off, and my friend who's competitive and a fairly high ranked player told me straight to my face, "You switch too often. Stick to one and get used to it."

So I did.

Stuck with one set, my cheapest and most banged up BTW, and after four months, I throw best with them. I know that there are other sets that WILL work better for me, but that means I am denying myself the chance to play properly. This set I have been using is fantastic, but it keeps you honest in the sense that it punishes bad form.

The moral of my long-winded story is: stick to one set for several months. Get to know it's strengths and weaknesses, and try to make it work for you. And if at the end of say three months, it doesn't work, you would have gained valuable knowledge why it didn't, and what to look out for in your next dart.

But that won't happen if you keep switching every few days or weeks.

But the thing is, part of the fun of it all is trying out new equipment, and there also lies untold frustrations.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-16-2016, 10:08 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote: Consider me a beginner of sorts ... I stuck with just one at first for several months thinking of how much money I was saving, till the Nutz virus infiltrated my system, then all hell broke loose!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Kept buying several sets every few weeks, many of which I never even tried, sold them off, and my friend who's competitive and a fairly high ranked player told me straight to my face, "You switch too often. Stick to one and get used to it."

So I did.

Stuck with one set, my cheapest and most banged up BTW, and after four months, I throw best with them. I know that there are other sets that WILL work better for me, but that means I am denying myself the chance to play properly. This set I have been using is fantastic, but it keeps you honest in the sense that it punishes bad form.

The moral of my long-winded story is: stick to one set for several months. Get to know it's strengths and weaknesses, and try to make it work for you. And if at the end of say three months, it doesn't work, you would have gained valuable knowledge why it didn't, and what to look out for in your next dart.

But that won't happen if you keep switching every few days or weeks.

But the thing is, part of the fun of it all is trying out new equipment, and there also lies untold frustrations.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Spot on IMO - theres blokes in the team I used to play for only ever had 1 set as thats all they could afford or was available to them when they started playing, some very crude darts but they will wipe the floor with the younger lads who turn up to league with their Phil Taylor 70 odd quid darts.

They have spent 15-20 years, if not more, getting used to their darts and are some of the top players in the league even though their darts are old and battered and look aweful compared to the delights on offer today.

I will agree, its 'fun' to try new darts but if you want to be a decent player stick with one set and rather than expecting a particular type of dart to suit your throw put the time in to make your throw suit the dart, it is lazy to expect to find a 'perfect' dart, it does not exist without the practise to make the dart 'perfect' for you - in my humble opinion Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Top and bottom, just enjoy playing darts  (easy to say I know....   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. lol )
I remember back when I was 18 and very little money and no internet it was not possible to get the amount of darts I have now. My mam bought me a tungsten set which I had no choice but to stick with but I dont think they ever quite suited me but I got used to throwing them sort of. About 2 years later I lost interest and when I started again a few years back it was just far too easy to get darts with online shopping, I must have had nearly 40 sets in my first month. I think the variety was overwhelming really and it was almost a year before I "Got A Grip" and decided I needed to find out what worked, it was only when I settled down that I started to improve.

So its kind of a double edged sword, you need to find something that works but I believe you have to finally stick with something and knuckle down with practice to improve.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Try some different (cheap) sets until you find one that feels nice in hand and has a nice weight to throw.
Practice practice practice!

In my opinion switching too often does more harm than good especially in the beginning.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-17-2016, 09:53 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I remember back when I was 18 and very little money and no internet it was not possible to get the amount of darts I have now.  My mam bought me a tungsten set which I had no choice but to stick with but I dont think they ever quite suited me but I got used to throwing them sort of.  About 2 years later I lost interest and when I started again a few years back it was just far too easy to get darts with online shopping, I must have had nearly 40 sets in my first month.  I think the variety was overwhelming really and it was almost a year before I "Got A Grip" and decided I needed to find out what worked, it was only when I settled down that I started to improve.

So its kind of a double edged sword, you need to find something that works but I believe you have to finally stick with something and knuckle down with practice to improve.

(02-17-2016, 10:25 AM)Red Wrote: Try some different (cheap) sets until you find one that feels nice in hand and has a nice weight to throw.
Practice practice practice!

In my opinion switching too often does more harm than good especially in the beginning.

I guess the internet, online shopping and the variety of darts nowadays is a good thing. One could get a range of different shaped McCoys or Nodors to find out what suits a player, and then invest in more expensive darts later on. But a lot also involves how much the beginner wants to learn/research and discern, and wants to listen to more advanced, technique-rich experienced players. However, not all advanced players are good at imparting knowledge in a way that beginners can apply.

But there again, I suspect form and grip evolves quickly for a beginner as they learn and correct along the way, assuming some sort of consistency.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
With you being a beginner I would say it is a good time to try some things out to find out what feels best for you. However, once you have decided on a dart that you like, feels good and you are happy to throw you gotta stick with them for a prolonged period of time and put the practice in to see real improvement.
So spend a week or 2 now trying things out to find a set that you want to play with and then spend the next number of months honing your skill with that set.
Good luck Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broke in 3 weeks - Unicorn Jelle Klaasen 20g tsbatm 17 2,442 10-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: 9toes
  Lost grip for 2 weeks or so Dartsenzo 3 572 01-26-2017, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Alex
  Hollowness in darts, is it good or bad? Samuel MK 10 2,342 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Last Post: Samuel MK