Harrows Darts.

A true sportsman
Hi Matey's

So far my team remains unbeaten on my Monday night 301 league and last night I was faced with having to win the last game again (the same happened last week). The score was 13 - 11 and I had to win every leg. (Actually I enjoy the extra concentration needed to win.).

My opponent is a quality player and a gentleman he is tough to beat and he had earlier beat both my other team mates 3.0, so now it was up to the team captains' game to decide who won. The first leg he got away with 60 and I got a 100, he scored a 100 and I hit a 121 he hit a 97 so it was nip and tuck.
Left with eighty I hit a T20 and had a dart wired D10 with my second dart then as I was aiming with my last dart the scorer (his team-mate) ducked his head up and down and closer to the board which broke me concentration and although I paused etc, I wired it again. However my opponent promptly apologised to me and told the scorer off "Don't do that... keep still when Dorian's throwing ok!" Well he missed his double and I got my D10 and I thought what a sportsman. He could have said nothing of course and I was determined to remain cool so didn't speak up myself.  It was pure gamesmanship on the scorer's behalf and he knows better Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but as usual it made me play even better to win the second leg.
So now the match is level at 13 legs each and by this time a small crowd had gathered watching our game. Unfortunately some were very loud which annoyed my opponent and he lost his cool and firmly but politely told them too HUSH UP! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The last leg was also a tight one and we quickly got down to a double he was left with 32 and I had 20 having wired D20 again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. he hit a S16 then S8 and wired D4 I wired the D10 then hit a S10  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  and finally hit D5 with my last dart to win (good old 'Split Double Routine' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ).... The final score 14-13 couldn't get any closer!

A Great game.... not because we won but the competitiveness of the match and most importantly of all the sportsmanship shown by my opponent, he later apologised for losing his cool (in fact he never does.... but the noise level was really bad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) and hoped it hadn't put me off and again apologised for the scorer.

What a gentleman and sportsman,.....RESPECT!

Cheers
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

(02-15-2016, 10:11 PM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Matey's

So far my team remains unbeaten on my Monday night league and last night I was faced with having to win the last game again (the same happened last week). The score was 13 - 11 and I had to win every leg. (Actually I enjoy the extra concentration needed to win.).

My opponent is a quality player and a gentleman he is tough to beat and he had earlier beat both my other team mates 3.0, so now it was up to the team captains' game to decide who won. The first leg he got away with 60 and I got a 100, he scored a 100 and I hit a 121 he hit a 97 so it was nip and tuck.
Left with eighty I hit a T20 and had a dart wired D10 with my second dart then as I was aiming with my last dart the scorer (his team-mate) ducked his head up and down and closer to the board which broke me concentration and although I paused etc, I wired it again. However my opponent promptly apologised to me and told the scorer off "Don't do that... keep still when Dorian's throwing ok!" Well he missed his double and I got my D10 and I thought what a sportsman. He could have said nothing of course and I was determined to remain cool so didn't speak up myself.  It was pure gamesmanship on the scorer's behalf and he knows better Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but as usual it made me play even better to win the second leg.
So now the match is level at 13 legs each and by this time a small crowd had gathered watching our game. Unfortunately some were very loud which annoyed my opponent and he lost his cool and firmly but politely told them too HUSH UP! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The last leg was also a tight one and we quickly got down to a double he was left with 32 and I had 20 having wired D20 again Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. he hit a S16 then S8 and wired D4 I wired the D10 then hit a S10  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  and finally hit D5 with my last dart to win (good old 'Split Double Routine' Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ).... The final score 14-13 couldn't get any closer!

A Great game.... not because we won but the competitiveness of the match and most importantly of all the sportsmanship shown by my opponent, he later apologised for losing his cool (in fact I've never does.... but the noise level was really bad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) and hoped it hadn't put me off and again apologised for the scorer.

Cheers
It makes it all that much better doesn't it?
People say 'oh but the baracking is part of the game' but personally I think it is rubbish and can do without the antics.
It is good to hear that there is still good sportsmanship going on in darts. In my local area so many guys have no clue about etiquette it shocks me.
I like it.
(02-15-2016, 10:21 PM)davidsproull Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 10:11 PM)Dorian Wrote: Hi Matey's

So far my team remains unbeaten on my Monday night league and last night I was faced with having to win the last game again (the same happened last week). The score was 13 - 11 and I had to win every leg. (Actually I enjoy the extra concentration needed to win.).

A Great game.... not because we won but the competitiveness of the match and most importantly of all the sportsmanship shown by my opponent, he later apologised for losing his cool (in fact he never does.... but the noise level was really bad Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. ) and hoped it hadn't put me off and again apologised for the scorer.

Cheers
It makes it all that much better doesn't it?
People say 'oh but the baracking is part of the game' but personally I think it is rubbish and can do without the antics.

Yes....I don't like it either but it actually makes me try my level best then Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

That sounds like a great night at the darts. Good sportsmanship, close matches and all 01. Doesn't get much better. Thanks for sharing a good night out with us Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I put good sportsmanship right there in making the sport that much better for all involved. I'm a firm believer in karma, getting back what you give in sport as well as other aspects of life.
(02-16-2016, 04:50 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: I put good sportsmanship right there in making the sport that much better for all involved. I'm a firm believer in karma, getting back what you give in sport as well as other aspects of life.

Well what it comes down to is if you want people to respect darts, then act like a champion.
If you want people to think darts is a circus, act like a clown.

It really is that simple.
Thanks for sharing - great story.

I have found that many scorers in our league do not stand still, mostly out of ignorance to it being a distraction. One of my teammates moves a lot while scoring and I believe it isnt on purpose (I have spoken to him multiple times about it), he just can't help himself from the neck crane trying to see which bed the dart is in. I personally learned my lesson while scoring a playoff match when our team had won a lower level division and had a chance to play the A division champs. I was scoring a close game and did the "peek" and the A player scolded me. I was put off at first thinking he was just bitching because the match was closer then he felt it should be. One of the other A players talked to me afterwards and in a nice manor explained to me what I was doing and how to score properly (totally still, looking at board not shooter). I appreciated the lesson and have put his words to good use.
Great story Dorian and not just because you won!! It's nice to hear that there are still proper sportsmen and gentlemen of the game out there. It is heartening to hear stories like this Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Its stories like these that draw people to the game. Great stuff mate.
Win lose or draw, that guy is a champ and top end.
Sounds like a decent guy and a good game.

Well done on the win.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are you a Collector, or a tried and true true-blue? CalixNL 31 1,351 08-24-2019, 02:46 AM
Last Post: Jefferz
  Kosumo's Thoughts: The "true" World Championships Cosmo 32 6,376 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Last Post: Noj
  WHAT A NIGHT! Dreams came true! Seán4393 25 2,216 01-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Seán4393
  Must be true Little al 4 794 11-19-2017, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  If this story is true... djb 11 1,359 07-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Last Post: *Saber*