Harrows Darts.

Mental Barrier in Cricket
Just wondering if anyone has worked through a similar problem.
The Scenario is: I have one mark in a number 2 darts in hand and opponent has not closed the number.

I take careful aim at the triple, bring my arm back, think hit the triple, throw my dart while thinking hit the triple.
OK, just missed wrong side of the wire for single. Now I have 2 marks. (So far not too frustrated yet)

Last dart, take careful aim at the triple, bring my arm back, think hit the triple, while bringing my arm forward to throw the dart my mind says, "You know a fat single will close the number."  At which point the dart may or may not land even in the fat single. Go to the board gather my darts while my frustration is growing, and wonder what the H*ll is wrong with my mind.
(02-15-2016, 08:54 PM)schook Wrote: Just wondering if anyone has worked through a similar problem.
The Scenario is: I have one mark in a number 2 darts in hand and opponent has not closed the number.

I take careful aim at the triple, bring my arm back, think hit the triple, throw my dart while thinking hit the triple.
OK, just missed wrong side of the wire for single. Now I have 2 marks. (So far not too frustrated yet)

Last dart, take careful aim at the triple, bring my arm back, think hit the triple, while bringing my arm forward to throw the dart my mind says, "You know a fat single will close the number."  At which point the dart may or may not land even in the fat single. Go to the board gather my darts while my frustration is growing, and wonder what the H*ll is wrong with my mind.

Before you even get to the game, heck a week before the game, decide for yourself which is the better shot.. 
if the mini-debate still goes on in your head step off the oche and ask a team mate..
I'm a firm believer that in normal league play, and playing Cricket, 3 in a bed every turn will win you a lot more games than not.   That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to get more than 3 marks per round, but on average, 3 marks per round will do the trick.

I like to have it set in my mind prior to stepping to the line just what I want to accomplish and not have those debates in the head you are describing in your post.  As you are finding out, it is detrimental to your overall game.     Knowing what to throw and when to throw it is just as important as being able to pull it off.

Quit having those mid throw discussions between the ears.
Ya thinking too much!
What those guys said.

Nothing good comes from being indecisive as you're throwing: pick your target and throw at it. If you're not sure then step away until you are.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(02-15-2016, 11:17 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote: I'm a firm believer that in normal league play, and playing Cricket, 3 in a bed every turn will win you a lot more games than not.   That's not to say it wouldn't be nice to get more than 3 marks per round, but on average, 3 marks per round will do the trick.

Quit having those mid throw discussions between the ears.

I agree with you on 3 in a bed, sounds like the same type of league I am in.   Now that I think of it maybe it is just a problem when I'm behind on points or trying to point to extend the game.   I guess I should step back and decide if closing the number is better than trying to point and missing the fat single all together and leaving the number open.
(02-15-2016, 11:17 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Ya thinking too much!

Ya I know.
Then again if you go for both the single AND the triple you can get 4 points with one dart..

err... right?
I wouldn't recommend stepping back at all. When the topic of cricket comes up here on Dartsnutz I'm always talking about how the pace of the game hinders a dart player from reaching their full potential. Watch most players in a league or in a tournament playing cricket. They're always stopping or standing around trying to figure out what to shoot at. Guess what you hardly ever see on tv when the pro's are playing? Yep, standing around. Those guys already know what they need to do BEFORE they shoot.

The only thing I can recommend is make sure you know what needs to be done BEFORE you shoot. Pausing, stopping or stepping back will never improve anyone's game imo. Throw with a confident and steady pace.

better yet just play 01
(02-16-2016, 02:23 AM)Cyanide Wrote: I wouldn't recommend stepping back at all. When the topic of cricket comes up here on Dartsnutz I'm always talking about how the pace of the game hinders a dart player from reaching their full potential. Watch most players in a league or in a tournament playing cricket. They're always stopping or standing around trying to figure out what to shoot at. Guess what you hardly ever see on tv when the pro's are playing? Yep, standing around. Those guys already know what they need to do BEFORE they shoot.

The only thing I can recommend is make sure you know what needs to be done BEFORE you shoot. Pausing, stopping or stepping back will never improve anyone's game imo. Throw with a confident and steady pace.

better yet just play 01

I think most of us here would agree that you should have your mind made up well before the game is even played.  
If however you get up to the oche and you are still undecided, how then can you shoot with confidence.  At that point, stepping back is not ideal, but perhaps called for.

Really though, there really shouldn't be that much standing around..
Look at the attachment for example.

Your down 40 points and it's your turn. Nothing fancy here. Step to the line knowing you plan to chuck all 3 at the 19 no matter what happens.

And sure, we could discuss what might happen if we hit 2 triple 19's. Do we take a hero dart at the 20's? Well in all reality none of us are going to do that playing steel tip. So the game plan should be to load up the 19's all the way. Nothing to think about, no reason to step back, just get on with it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-16-2016, 02:38 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Look at the attachment for example.

Your down 40 points and it's your turn. Nothing fancy here. Step to the line knowing you plan to chuck all 3 at the 19 no matter what happens.

And sure, we could discuss what might happen if we hit 2 triple 19's. Do we take a hero dart at the 20's? Well in all reality none of us are going to do that playing steel tip. So the game plan should be to load up the 19's all the way. Nothing to think about, no reason to step back, just get on with it.

I actually don't think the OP specified but I was going under the impression that he was either ahead or at least even on points and that the debate was over going for more points or playing it safe to guarantee he close the number by going for the 'fat single'.

So I don't think there is any issue as to whether or not to shoot 19s for three darts, that part at least is a go.  

Now if I am wrong, and he is behind then you are 100% correct and points is the way to go.
(02-16-2016, 02:53 AM)davidsproull Wrote:

I actually don't think the OP specified but I was going under the impression that he was either ahead or at least even on points and that the debate was over going for more points or playing it safe to guarantee he close the number by going for the 'fat single'.

So I don't think there is any issue as to whether or not to shoot 19s for three darts, that part at least is a go.  

Now if I am wrong, and he is behind then you are 100% correct and points is the way to go.

Yeah, I went a bit off track there. I guess my main point was to just know what needs to be done before stepping to the oche. Also, there's nothing wrong with going for a big fat single rather than a treble. Sometimes going for the treble causes problems. Like missing completely.
(02-16-2016, 03:16 AM)Cyanide Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 02:53 AM)davidsproull Wrote:

Yeah, I went a bit off track there. I guess my main point was to just know what needs to be done before stepping to the oche. Also, there's nothing wrong with going for a big fat single rather than a treble. Sometimes going for the treble causes problems. Like missing completely.

All good, and your over-all point is correct.
(02-16-2016, 02:53 AM)davidsproull Wrote: I actually don't think the OP specified but I was going under the impression that he was either ahead or at least even on points and that the debate was over going for more points or playing it safe to guarantee he close the number by going for the 'fat single'.

OK, so I think this is closer to what I am getting at.  lets say I'm even in points of maybe down by 1 darts worth.  I just need a mark to close the number but a triple would be nice to even points or to go slightly ahead.  So yes I'm going for triple all the way on my second dart, then comes the miss. 

So now I can either go for triple to close and point or single to close, which will prevent them from pointing on me on their next turn.  So as I line up my throw I'm fully thinking triple to close and point, but at the last second before release the thought pops in my mind that you know a single will close the number.  This seems to cause me to miss everything.

So maybe my problem is not so much "cricket strategy" as the mental focus I seem to loose just before the throw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elbow becoming a mental problem Carpy 2 536 09-03-2018, 10:22 AM
Last Post: Carpy
  Confidence - Mental Strength Snooks 3 611 04-19-2018, 02:42 PM
Last Post: wongerchi
  Mental blockage TaknMdwN 18 1,041 04-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Last Post: FBB62
  Practicing your "mental game" during solitary practice JohnK 24 33,908 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM
Last Post: William.dyer
  How to overcome emotional barrier? Aaron Chan 42 4,937 11-12-2016, 04:32 AM
Last Post: robert829
  It's Mental ..Right??? Grey Owl 6 1,292 01-11-2015, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Troll