Unicorn

Lightweight conversion points
Of all the (many) darts I own the ones that seem to fly best for me are my soft tip ones
Since I realised this I've been throwing them in steeltip matches using l-style carbon conversion points which are working great as they are short and light and don't mess up the balance of the darts.
The only problem is they wear out quite quickly and aren't cheap to replace
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what other points I could try
Are the titanium ones really light?
How do people find the one80 reflex conversion points?

Any opinions greatly appreciated
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

I agree, the L-Style ones are my favorites... that is until they start to wear out quickly. Then they become my least favorite. Junk.

I've tried a TON of conversion points and find that the Target titanium ones to be the best overall. Most important is the weight. They're right at 1 gram. The 26mm is barely under a gram, the 30mm is slightly over a gram. Another big factor is they hold their shape. I've battered a set of the silver ones for months on end and they're still in near perfect condition. Cost is great too. Around $5 from DC or A180. The gold ones stick amazing. Takes quite a tug to remove them from the board.
(02-13-2016, 09:30 PM)Cyanide Wrote: I agree, the L-Style ones are my favorites... that is until they start to wear out quickly. Then they become my least favorite. Junk.

I've tried a TON of conversion points and find that the Target titanium ones to be the best overall. Most important is the weight. They're right at 1 gram. The 26mm is barely under a gram, the 30mm is slightly over a gram. Another big factor is they hold their shape. I've battered a set of the silver ones for months on end and they're still in near perfect condition. Cost is great too. Around $5 from DC or A180. The gold ones stick amazing. Takes quite a tug to remove them from the board.

Totally agree with this,,,,,, Plus my 2 cents,,,,,I also like the Cosmo Solid Titanium conversion points ,,,they come in 3 sizes,,,,,a set of the short size weighs 2.64 grams so thats well under a gram each,,,,,the only other difference is they fit a smaller hole better ,,,a set of Target Titanium will not fit my Dynasty A flow darts at all,,,,the hole is not deep enough ,,, plus they just fit some darts better than the Target titanium ,,, ,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you don't intend to try and replicate the weight of a plastic tip (.3 -.4g), there are many options available, and one of the most popular seem to be the Target Ti points.

Other options include the ones from Japanese manufacturers like Dynasty, Monster and DMC. The reflex points IIRC weigh in about 1.75g. Another option, especially for the looks are the Voks Iron points at 1.8g (https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...ion+points).

For the lightest points, you need to look at Duralumin, which is supposed to be a hard aluminium, but it seems that some of them are soft. Duralumins from i9 weigh in about 0.48g and you can bend them by hand with some effort. I have the Viper points (like them and am sticking with them at the moment) which seem to be a harder alloy and weighs in at 0.7g.

Have you tried the US Lippoints or the newer, and harder Cosmo Fit Plus Points on sisal? Apparently it works on some sisal boards, but I'm not sure if you want to take them into a match. https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=14868 

On Sisal 2:42 onwards

Here's a post about some conversion point weights: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...per+points

Al the best!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks for all the replies folks.
Sounds like I need to give the titaniums a test run
Soft tips that work on some boards are out for league play due to the different boards used
If i dont get on with the titanium then I will probably move to the longer carbons, should still be light enough and give me a bit more life
County Durham's worst darter - Hitting single 1 for 22 years now

(02-13-2016, 10:36 PM)Random Trebles Wrote: Thanks for all the replies folks.
Soft tips that work on some boards are out for league play due to the different boards used
If i dont get on with the titanium then I will probably move to the longer carbons, should still be light enough and give me a bit more life

Crazy idea just occurred to me ... spray paint the carbon tip with 2 coats of matt paint. Matt so it might hold the board more. That might prolong it's life a bit, but make sure you get the point you want first. Might work, might not.

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I second the Target Ti Ponits.

They seem to be the best at weight vs. strength.
(02-13-2016, 10:56 PM)Ancient Darter Wrote:
(02-13-2016, 10:36 PM)Random Trebles Wrote: Thanks for all the replies folks.

Crazy idea just occurred to me ... spray paint the carbon tip with 2 coats of matt paint. Matt so it might hold the board more. That might prolong it's life a bit, but make sure you get the point you want first. Might work, might not.

Two possible problems with that. Paint is pretty thing and the friction of the dart/board fibers will wear that paint off quickly. Maybe a plasticoat type deal but I still think it wouldn't last long. The Lippoints have a hard carbon and I can wear those tips down to a nub in a hurry.

The biggest issue would be getting marks all off the board from the painted tips. If it's your home board, that's up to you...but most pubs wouldn't be happy if they have nicer boards.
Thanks for the heads-ip Regulatory.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I guess it's not much use then even if it's a clear lacquer. Is there any real way to protect the Carbon points from wearing down too quickly?

Not sure. I think it's just the nature of the material. Scraping the points with your fingernail, you would think they are really strong. I just remember playing with a set that were 3-4mm longer than a regular plastic Lippoint and after a week or so were almost the same length. At the time I was playing with an older board with a harder surface. Not sure if a softer board like a Blade 4 would make them last longer. Really disappointing because they're such an awesome lightweight point that perfectly mimics the balance of a soft tip point.
I wonder if a whole lot of darters write-in and feed-back that they should mix the carbon with some steel, what would happen? Some companies do listen to customer feed-back. Might be a long-shot, but who knows.

I also thought of heat-shrink that would be similar in looks to the DMC conversion points, but it struck me that as the carbon wears down, you'll be left with the shrink-wrapped portion only, so scrap that idea.

https://w-darts.com/dmc-2ba-conversion-point.html

The only other option seems to be Duralumin points, but so many places are out of stock, and I have doubts about the strength of the points (i9s bend, Gran is forever OOS).

I tried to paint them too. Flat Black and some kind of protective coating. Both without success.

What could work:
As the Material is conductive there could be an anodized Layer of Al or Ti to reduce wear.
Or make points using Carbon/Metal mix as in some 3D printing Filaments.

Until then, Target Ti-Points for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conversion Points weswrestle10 16 489 05-11-2021, 09:27 PM
Last Post: weswrestle10
  Short Conversion Points LethalEagle 3 224 11-22-2020, 05:41 PM
Last Post: philliesricky
  COSMO CARBON LIGHTWEIGHT Conversion Point Ancient Darter 7 343 10-29-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Cosmo Conversion Points bending LethalEagle 6 365 09-30-2020, 10:33 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Anyone tried Unicorn Sigma Ti conversion points - EDIT I bought some :) Humdinger 9 1,090 05-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Last Post: justin-tutboard
  Target 26mm Titanium Pro Grooved Conversion Points sandro-c 6 1,534 10-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Last Post: weswrestle10
  Alternative Light Conversion Points - The VIPERs Ancient Darter 5 1,162 02-18-2016, 06:42 PM
Last Post: Ancient Darter