Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Is it a good idea to eliminate backward move
Is it a good idea to eliminate  backward move from your throw?And what I need to take into account if I do so.
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Do your natural throw - I wouldn't change , but thats me.
I tried to eliminate that part of my throw and it felt so awkward I just said to go with what I felt had to be done
IMO any movement you can eliminate you should - saying that i couldn't get rid of it either.
I had a severe learning experience the other day. I entered my 3rd LOD and first match had to play the N Carolina champ. Along with his deadly accuracy, I was really amazed at the steadiness and smooth measured pace of his throw. Somebody on another thread said something about keeping your head still and your body will follow. It seems the really good players do this.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

The only person I know of who has almost eliminated the back-stroke with some degree of success is Mayumi Ouchi. She brings up her hand, cocks, aims and let's loose with a distinct, quick move. But during the Wimnau masters, you can see her moving her hand back ever so slightly. I guess back-stroking and pushing forward seems like a more natural way to throw. I suspect it would take extreme discipline to eliminate it, and be consistent.

NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Gary Anderson is close too - unless i have misunderstood his writing this is also how George Silberzahn describes the stroke.
Any pull back will help to pre-load the arm, specifically the tricep.  I wholly disagree that Anderson does not pull the dart back.
Seen him pull back double pumps, especially on his first throw, but sometimes it appears that there's no pull back, more on his second and third throw, but his entire arm movement up can be taken as a pull-back?

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I don't see how a fully cocked arm could not be seen as being pulled back. Most people will aim pullback and push. Gando seems to pullback aim and push. But it is still being pulled back. Gurney has a very small pullback but it is still there.
(02-17-2016, 05:23 PM)BigE Wrote: I don't see how a fully cocked arm could not be seen as being pulled back. Most people will aim pullback and push. Gando seems to pullback aim and push. But it is still being pulled back. Gurney has a very small pullback but it is still there.

Righto!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Are there any other players, other than perhaps Mayumi that has eliminated the pull back? Or would you classify Mayumi as having some sort of pull back as well? It looks like she raises to her eye, moves forward an inch, stops dead, aims, then launches forward quite violently.

I think the drawback helps set up the forward motion so I say its worth keeping
It depends on how stable your elbow remains on pullback. If I pullback too far it feels I have to be extremely careful not to let the elbow wander. Too little and I cannot push effectively. There is a point that is just right...right now. I wish I could pullback all the way with confidence. It is variation in where pullback ends and push starts that I am still struggling with. I feel if I can sort this out my game would leap forwards.
My throw suffered severely when i did no backward movement. In my experience, no backward movement leads to a jerky and tense release.

I am still working to correct this part of my throw and incorporate a nice backward movement. Whenever i do it, i feel a nice fluid release and my darts go where i want them to.

So i think, a backward movement is a essential, either as a preset pullback before you aim, or as part of your whole motion. However small, i think it helps alot
Ignore the "how you are doing it" in favor of "where you are sending it."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this good idea? Troll 1 758 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Leaky
  backward movement too long Troll 22 8,255 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM
Last Post: NylonRaider
  backward movement Troll 4 2,440 12-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: mc1958
  first bad loss in ages: how to adjust mindset to move on NiteEyez 9 2,831 12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip