Target Darts.

Japanese Platinum 195USD/135GBP Dart Trashed ... and restored!
When someone passed the Joker Driver Platinum NM darts to me to photograph, I was shocked!

Less than a month old and this was the condition it was in! All from close grouping. But they also look pitted overall, and that removed the mirror-like finish that Joker Drivers are famous for. There was no way i could have photographer them in that condition, so I decided to get to work.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They may not look too bad, but here's a typical close-up of how much damage the darts had sustained. Believe it or not, the grip actually felt a bit slippery!!!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My main objective was to bring them back to life ... and hopefully restore their previous mirror-finish shine. Unfortunately, the owner took the darts back before I could get to an 8000 polish. In fact, I only managed to get to 1500.

There was some work with files but only by hand. For the most part, I lapped and polished them. 

First lapping I managed to take off some of the pitting, and the grip looked much better. The definition of the grip was starting to show:

Not too bad looking, but there was loads of work to be done still.

After the second run, and polishing into the grooves, the grip was starting to look more defined with the 'lip' on the insides of each cut showing, as well as the very slight burr on the edge that give the cut grip. Even though it does not show in the photo, it was no where near a mirror-polish. In comparison, the other two darts were untouched. I think by this time, I was at 800 or 1200.

Fast forward, and this is slightly better, after many more rounds with a 1500 and polish. As mentioned, I was far from getting a mirror-polish, but had to return the darts by then. I'm sure if I had more time, and went up to 5000 or 8000 with jewellery polish it could have looked better:

I think it's not too bad ... hopefully!

And finally I managed to get the best piece to photograph!

Overall there was virtually no reduction in the weight.

If you have cherished darts in your collection that are damaged, you could do this as well, with some patience and time!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Here are a couple of vids I took, but the quality is not great. 

Thanks for reading and watching.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thats a really nice job man
They look fantastic.
Jeeez man you did put some time into them but they look great for a short time at least.
Wow! Incredible work
Awesome would be cool to see like a how to video on that
Wow - that's lovely, painstaking work

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Photoshopped!!!!

Just kidding! Diligence and patience in action!

Good job my friend!
Excellent work but if they were mine I'd have been inclined to return them to who supplied them & ask for a refund or replacement The El Cheepo's at £10 a set last better than that
Great job Chris! All by hand? How long did it take to do?

On another note I think its a great restoration, but they are by the nature of their intended use going to get dinged up and oxidised again so ultimately I dont think there is much point in doing this every few months but its still very nice to see its possible so +1 from me Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the appreciation guys, Darren.

Yes, they will unfortunately. But it was nice to see what I could do. All by hand Darren. Took me about 1-1/2 weeks, but that was probably about one to two hours a day. Perhaps the polishing could have been done with power tools, but given the cost of the darts, i didn't want to take any risks. It's also much easier to control by hand at any rate. If I had something that revolves with a very low rpm, perhaps!

Edgar, it's amazing what you can do with PhotoShop!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 

I've seen many soft tip darts from much lower prices to these sort of price levels getting banged up
... even the well-loved Monsters.

Part of it has to do with wider, more aggressive and protruding grips, and I suspect that somehow, the way the soft tip darts enter the board and sit there has something to do with the angle of attack, which would be wider from an incoming dart, as opposed to a steel tip in sisal where the sitting darts and the incoming dart are both at an angle. I'm not sure if this description is clear.

Soft tip: Sits at 0 deg - incoming dart clashes it at a 30 deg angle (difference: 30 deg)

Steel tip: Sits at 30 deg - incoming dart clashes it at a 20 - 40 deg angle so it kinda just 'slides' in instead of clashing so violently (difference: 10 deg) 

Also, for soft, the darts oscillate quite violently especially if another incoming dart clashes against it, so that might contribute slightly to the damage. Given a month of consistently tight groupings ...

In that sense, I don't think price point as anything to do with the quality of the darts. As mentioned, I've seen loads of damaged soft tip barrels of all price points. Don't think you can return them after user wear and tear.

Cheers!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
beautiful Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I like the looks of them too!
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Well you have done a great job and takes a lot of patience to do that but the result is great!!! Well done! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks Darren, James.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Now let me pop my old Harrows onto my Lathe and find meself some 5000 grit Sandpaper ...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Darts Fans: Yusuke from Japanese Guy TV Dartsweb 32 2,355 12-04-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Japanese Guy TV darts by Winmau LethalEagle 14 809 04-12-2020, 10:48 AM
Last Post: LethalEagle
  Japanese darts blog vanJupp 13 2,410 11-02-2017, 09:07 PM
Last Post: hiho9
  Japanese Surfer Babe Darts! Ancient Darter 11 1,553 08-11-2017, 02:50 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Custom darts with Japanese grip Troll 17 3,373 02-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Last Post: weswrestle10