Shot Darts

Flight protectors
I have found that I like the "bullet" shaped flight protectors as they deflect incoming Robin Hoods well. I tried some of the blunter shaped ones and had several bounces off of them ( I guess that is good that I am grouping tightly?) Before that I broke the prongs off the back end of several nylon and carbon shafts with incoming shots. I am not sure how much affect they have on weight or balance but it must be minimal and they look very aerodynamic.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.[url=https://imageshack.com/i/p5D19r7rj]Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.[/url]
[url=https://imageshack.com/i/p5iMGgRFj][/url]
Next, I really want to try a flight punch for the lock rings.
Weight is negligible.

Those. keep my flights straight and open. I put light glue to make sure they don't fall out. There's a plastic version of that which I use in my soft tip setup.
Great pictures KC!   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I like those bullet shaped ones, the fabric flights and Keramics. Nice combo. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You could also crimp them with forceps to keep them from falling off.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-12-2016, 01:29 AM)KCdartman Wrote: I have found that I like the "bullet" shaped flight protectors as they deflect incoming Robin Hoods well. I tried some of the blunter shaped ones and had several bounces off of them ( I guess that is good that I am grouping tightly?) Before that I broke the prongs off the back end of several nylon and carbon shafts with incoming shots. I am not sure how much affect they have on weight or balance but it must be minimal and they look very aerodynamic.
[Image: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/905/iMGgRF.jpg][Image: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/633/GVTdws.jpg][Image: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/905/D19r7r.jpg]
[url=https://imageshack.com/i/p5iMGgRFj][/url]
Next, I really want to try a flight punch for the lock rings.
 I found that punching the flights & using Titanium Lock rings reduced the stem tangs suffering breakage/damage a considerable amount, well worth mod. Also found the bullet protectors more prone to being knocked off & damaging the flight than the other type. I also gently squeeze the protector tangs together with needle nose pliers after fitting, this stops them coming off. If playing a match I take 3 spare sets of stems, flights & protectors already set up so can just do a quick swap if damaged.
Nice pictures. I have been through all of this and now prefer to just keep it simple. No flight protectors, and no rings. I tried the blunter ones first. When I discovered the bullet ones, I gave them a go. The bullet ones are harder to put on than the blunt ones. I ruined a few flights trying to put them on. Plus, if you try to take a point and spread the tangs a bit making it easier to slip them on, they break. The bullets are just easier to break, especially the brass ones. I actually prefer the plastic flight protectors best. The are the easiest to put on and take off. I still have some protectors on darts I don't play with much. But I prefer to fold the flights and carry them in a wallet when I go out and it is just way to much hassle to mess with them in a dark club. And actually, it is rare to land a point directly in the cross of a flight. So I do without. 

I hated my Phase two darts at first, because the flat nose of the barrel was causing a ton of bounce outs and were destroying my flights. Storm points were not a complete cure (for the Phase Two), but were a MASSIVE improvement in this regard. I would recommend at least using tridents because the nose of those darts is going to cause more bounce outs than the tip of the point. I believe tridents or Storm points are much better at resolving this issue than flight protectors.

I also ditched all the springs and rings. I only use Target Pro-Grip stems and modify my flights with a bit of cellophane tape. My flights rarely fall out now. These things were a constant headache. I keep it simple and have found that I stay happy.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

(02-12-2016, 10:40 AM)Dartbuggy Wrote: Nice pictures. I have been through all of this and now prefer to just keep it simple. No flight protectors, and no rings. I tried the blunter ones first. When I discovered the bullet ones, I gave them a go. The bullet ones are harder to put on than the blunt ones. I ruined a few flights trying to put them on. Plus, if you try to take a point and spread the tangs a bit making it easier to slip them on, they break. The bullets are just easier to break, especially the brass ones. I actually prefer the plastic flight protectors best. The are the easiest to put on and take off. I still have some protectors on darts I don't play with much. But I prefer to fold the flights and carry them in a wallet when I go out and it is just way to much hassle to mess with them in a dark club. And actually, it is rare to land a point directly in the cross of a flight. So I do without. 

I hated my Phase two darts at first, because the flat nose of the barrel was causing a ton of bounce outs and were destroying my flights. Storm points were not a complete cure (for the Phase Two), but were a MASSIVE improvement in this regard. I would recommend at least using tridents because the nose of those darts is going to cause more bounce outs than the tip of the point. I believe tridents or Storm points are much better at resolving this issue than flight protectors.

I also ditched all the springs and rings. I only use Target Pro-Grip stems and modify my flights with a bit of cellophane tape. My flights rarely fall out now. These things were a constant headache. I keep it simple and have found that I stay happy.

Interesting and helpful post.  Thanks.
How do you modify with cellophane tape?
(02-12-2016, 02:19 PM)MadMike4 Wrote:
(02-12-2016, 10:40 AM)Dartbuggy Wrote: Nice pictures. I have been through all of this and now prefer to just keep it simple. No flight protectors, and no rings. I tried the blunter ones first. When I discovered the bullet ones, I gave them a go. The bullet ones are harder to put on than the blunt ones. I ruined a few flights trying to put them on. Plus, if you try to take a point and spread the tangs a bit making it easier to slip them on, they break. The bullets are just easier to break, especially the brass ones. I actually prefer the plastic flight protectors best. The are the easiest to put on and take off. I still have some protectors on darts I don't play with much. But I prefer to fold the flights and carry them in a wallet when I go out and it is just way to much hassle to mess with them in a dark club. And actually, it is rare to land a point directly in the cross of a flight. So I do without. 

Interesting and helpful post.  Thanks.
How do you modify with cellophane tape?

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=17327
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Flight Protectors....Yes Or No? Gazzabnorthern 72 10,117 01-05-2021, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Dorian
  Flight protectors B2B180 14 640 08-27-2020, 09:14 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  Flight shapes and flight trajectories and land angle B2B180 6 751 01-19-2020, 10:26 PM
Last Post: JAMSGOLF