Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Great Way For Removing Broken Point Out of Barrel
Hi Guys,

I broke a Storm Point in my PT Power 9five and was going to start the soak in vinegar when I continued to look around for something faster and I found that Alum will do it in about 6-8 hours or faster! 

The method described below is for removing a broken tap but works the same for broken tips.

“METHOD: - Using a non-ferrous saucepan (aluminium or glass/Pyrex is best) - add boiling water from a kettle and stri in the Alum until no more will dissolve (a saturated solution). - Dont use a steel saucepan.
Immerse the casting in the solution so that the broken tap is covered and leave on a low heat (just below boiling point - this is essential). Top up with boiling water periodically so that the broken tap hole is always immersed in the solution.
A stream of 'fizzy' bubbles will emerge from the hole. - It may take 2 or 3 hours of simmering to completely dissolve the remnants of the tap, but eventually the hole will be completely clear and shiny new.
There is no nasty odour or chemical fumes. The ferrous material is just slowly dissolved away !  - That's it.
The length of time for the chemical to work depends on the size of the cross-section of the item to be dissolved.
NOTES: This method only works where the broken bit is lodged in non-ferrous materials - ie. where the broken tap is in brass, bronze, gun metal, aluminium.
The solution must be kept at just below boiling point - just a few bubbles rising and the surface of the solution gently seething.
It will remove broken taps, drill bits, reamers. The bigger the size, the longer it takes - be patient.
This method will only work on iron/steel based broken tool tips - not tungsten carbide etc
If you try using a stainless steel saucepan - the Alum will try dissolving that!”
Interesting.
How much Alum per cup of water?
In the Philippines, we use alum (tawas) as deodorant. It doesn't make our armpits dark that's why it's the most preferred item.

And now, it's an effective point dissolver. Thanks for sharing.
(02-11-2016, 12:53 AM)majeek Wrote: In the Philippines, we use alum (tawas) as deodorant. It doesn't make our armpits dark that's why it's the most preferred item.

So if we see you with a dart barrel tucked in your armpit we'll know why

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Alum can also be used to stop shaving cuts. I'm assuming the Alum used to dissolve points can be bought in bulk powder?
Any apparent defects to dart? Still looks the same?
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Medicine Hat Darts League---------------------------------                 Darts Used: 22g One80 R2 Renegade's
(02-11-2016, 12:31 AM)Regulatori Wrote: Interesting.
How much Alum per cup of water?

I used 6Tsb to 1 cup of water and that it. 

The trick is to keep the solution with the dart in it hot and it will continue to bubble away!
(02-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Leaky Wrote: Any apparent defects to dart?  Still looks the same?

Still looks the same. 

The Alum reacts with the steel (ferrous) and leaves the tungsten (non-ferrous) alone.
(02-11-2016, 01:01 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Alum can also be used to stop shaving cuts. I'm assuming the Alum used to dissolve points can be bought in bulk powder?

I'm sure you can on Amazon.

I got mine at the grocery store in the spice section.
(02-11-2016, 12:54 AM)Banz Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 12:53 AM)majeek Wrote: In the Philippines, we use alum (tawas) as deodorant. It doesn't make our armpits dark that's why it's the most preferred item.

So if we see you with a dart barrel tucked in your armpit we'll know why

Lol Yes. I'm sure Leonard Gates would love licking my darts too. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-11-2016, 01:16 AM)CTsan Wrote:
(02-11-2016, 01:04 AM)Leaky Wrote: Any apparent defects to dart?  Still looks the same?

Still looks the same. 

The Alum reacts with the steel (ferrous) and leaves the tungsten (non-ferrous) alone.

Any chance that it might damage special barrel coatings?
I could have used this a few months back when I tried to remove a point with vinegar and it took weeks before I called in the troops and Matt helped me at "Hand-on-Darts"

I guess in USA we can get Alum in the spice section as well, or so my wife guessed
I use an alum block after shaving. Also as majeek says it's a great deodorant too. Just if you have a block be careful not to drop it or you'll unintentionally end up with hundreds of shards of the stuff!
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
Great post, if ever I have my first ever point snap I will give it a try
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I will remember this should I (God forbid) ever break another point. The last point I broke was a Storm and took 8 weeks to dissolve in 6% vinegar. Vinegar works, but I nearly went insane during the wait. +1 for ya buddy.

Thunk, thunk, thunk, walk, chalk, pull, turn, walk, turn, repeat...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what a great player I used to be notjimpike 8 393 12-09-2020, 09:10 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Broken point in Alum observations RobJon 8 310 10-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  Broken point StaafMan 10 503 06-07-2020, 10:30 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  How to protect black points when removing paint? Rollback 7 337 04-12-2020, 10:42 PM
Last Post: elevendarter
  My first ever broken point gumbo2176 43 2,052 12-12-2019, 11:15 PM
Last Post: CalixNL
  Point broken in Tournament DAVEISTHENAME 15 714 03-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Last Post: LKH9
  Broken Storm Point Club Banned 75 21,570 05-27-2018, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Twenty-one
  Difficulty removing broken Carbon shafts? Ancient Darter 6 1,687 02-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Broken point removal The Niner 3 1,205 02-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Zaza
  Best way of removing RD tridents Jim_sol 11 1,288 02-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: DanC.Licks