Double Top Darts.

Red Dragon Darts Mini Reviews/Comparisons
I've been buying a few similar shaped darts from Red Dragon, so I thought I'd share my thoughts and do a bit of a mini-review/comparison for people. (if the mods want to move this to another section please do, I wasn't sure where to put it.)

Red Dragon Retro 24g 90% - £21.90 - W:8.0mm L:38.1mm – According to the sticker on the back of the packet these are ‘Retro 3 V2’ … These are my favourite darts right now, they have micro groove on top of the rings, which feels nice and grippy and a mini grip at the back, this might be shark style, hard to see with it being so small but it feels like it, they come with a tri-fold wallet, 3 sets of stems (Pink, Yellow, Green  bubble) 3 sets of flights (Pink, Yellow, Green RD Hardcore) these seem  really good value to me. They fly really nice and feel great in the fingers.  If you are after a dart this size and shape and don’t want to spend a fortune I think these are a very good choice. They also come in 26g which is a slightly longer 42.3mm barrel. I’ve set mine up to look a bit like the ‘Snakebite 8’ with the RD yellow fluro ‘street art’ stems and Snakebite flights because I love how those darts look but I don’t like long barrels. UPDATE 22/2/16: Still love these darts, I've changed the snakebite flights for my usual Harrows size/shape, I didn't think it would make much difference but I can notice it, it's a shame because I love the look of these snakebite but they still look great with the green retina I have on them now and they feel more 'familiar' when I throw them.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Red Dragon Matra 1 24g 80% - £11.90 - W:8.0mm L:40.6mm – I chose these as my free darts with my fairly large order the other day. They have a simple ring grip, they feel good and fly straight but I’ve not given these much attention as they arrived at the same time as the Retro which I prefer.  For a free set of darts though I’m happy as they are certainly in line with the style that I like to throw but I have some others from the same ‘flightmaster’ range that I prefer.  These come with the bar wallet and black RD logo stems (which I really like) and a couple of sets of (non-hardcore) RD flights. I’ve put some Harrows marathon flights on these which are my usual flights. UPDATE 22/2/16: I've grown to like these quite a bit and for a cheaper option I think they are the business. Plain, simple and functional and are on par with the Megaton, it would probably just depend on which grip you prefer as to which you choose.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Red Dragon Plasma 25g 90% - £29.90 – W:8mm L:40.6mm – At the moment I’m not totally convinced by these, mainly because they are almost £20 more than the Matra above and feel pretty much identical to throw, they are the same shape and size and other than the 1g difference in weight (which I don’t  notice) and having the extra grip rings at the rear (which don't feel very grippy to me) they are the same dart for all intent and purpose.  Also they just don’t feel as nice as the Retro to me. They do however look great, the finish is a satin finish and not as bright and shiny as they look in the RD catalogue and it feels pretty good to hold. They come with RD clear stems with a small RD logo (x2) and some hardcore flights (x2) that are in similar colours to the barrels. They come in the tri-fold wallet. I suspect I will end up liking these but for now they are over shadowed by the Retro. I’ve set mine up with the good old black logo stems and some holographic snakebite which look great. UPDATE 22/2/16: These are the darts that have probably grown on my the most over the last couple of weeks, the coating is holding up well and I like the fact it doesn't feel 'coated' like the Shockwave below. The coating feels pretty much the same as an uncoated dart and is very similar looking to something that's been anodised like those bicycle parts, or those titainium piercing rings that come in purple/rainbow etc. I'd imagine it's a similar thing. Again I've had to revert back to the Harrows flights, I have purple 'optix' on these and they look great.

Red Dragon Megaton 23g 80% - £11.90 - W:8.0mm L:38.1mm – According to the sticker on the back of the packet these are ‘Megaton 23g V2’ I don’t know what V1 was like so don’t ask me. Until very recently (when I got the Retro) these were my favourite darts,  they are basically the same size as the Retro above but a slightly different shape and grip pattern but if you get on with one, you’ll get on with the other, they feel very, very similar to throw to me. These have the smaller (mini?) ring grip, a ring on the nose and a smooth back. I threw my first (and only) 180 with these, so there isn’t anything wrong with them in my book and I think they are excellent darts and certainly the winner on value.  They come with the usual Red Dragon logo black stems, 2 sets of standard weight flights (I got plain black and plain white with small RD logos) and the bar wallet. I have mine set up with RD ‘crossfire’ carbonised stems and Harrows marathon. These also come in a 25g if you prefer something a little heavier.

Red Dragon Torpedo 26g 80% - W:8.7mm L:38.1mm – These were the first new darts I bought and on reflection I wish I had got the 24g version, I don’t think an extra gram or two would be such an issue on any of the darts above but because all the extra weight is right on the front here, it feels like a lot of extra weight when you throw it. I always liked this shaped dart to look at but I realise now that I prefer the ones above that are more centrally balanced in the barrel. I still enjoy throwing these for fun sometimes but I don’t think I could play a ‘serious’ match with them. I throw ok with them once I’ve warmed up with them and got used to the feel a bit but it’s not an easy transition like it is going between the others. These came with the usual black RD stems and black and white RD flights. These come in a large selection of even number weights from 22g to 30g. 

UPDATE 22/2/16: I bought these the other day as they have £10 off at Red Dragon and I couldn't resisit the temptation! £16.90 down from £26.90. They are Red Dragon 24g Shockwave 2. W:7.8mm L:40.6mm 90% Tunsten with a PVD rainbow coating. They look great if you like this kind of thing. They throw straight and feel very similar to some of the other darts for obvious reasons but there's something that feels a little 'off' for me in the grip, I'm not sure if it's the smooth edgeless 'wave' section or the coating but I don't like it very much personally. I just feel that they lack grip overall when I hold them in my fingers, even though RD list them as having a 4 out of 5 grip level. Maybe it's just the way my fingers are with the coating or the way I grip them but it's a very different feel to the plasmas which really don't feel like they have a coating at all. They come with a single set of plain ali stems (which I took right off) and a couple of sets of standard thickness flights one of which are a particularly hideous 'brushed gold' effect. They arrived in what RD call the 'XS' wallet which is like a thinner, cheaper feeling leatherette version of the tri-fold. So for me personally the 'extras' weren't the best with these darts. At the sale price I guess they are a bit of a bargain for 90% PVD coated darts but I'm kind of glad I wasn't tempted at the full price. I have been having some fun throwing these though, so I don't want to sound too negative about them and they do the job perfectly fine, I just prefer some of my others, not least the excellent Retros and I much prefer the feel of the Plasma coating to the PVD on these. Overall rating would be 'Good but not Great' for me personally. Also the grip at the rear feels practically non-existent to me, I'm guessing that's because the coating has somewhat filled the rings and taken off the edges to a degree. I think these would feel quite different if they were not coated.

No doubt at some point in the future I’ll be adding to my RD short barrels with Swingfire, Chiefs etc so I’ll update and compare when that happens. (may not be a while though after my last spending spree)

Favourite Overall: Red Dragon Retro (available in 24 and 26g in this shape) I think these are really great darts that look nice, feel great and come with a whole wallet full of stems and flights. For a more colourful look and slightly less grippy feel try the Plasma.

Best Value: Red Dragon Megaton (available in 23 and 25g) These win for me if you are on a really tight budget or just want to try a short barrel dart without gambling too much money on an experiment. Really nice darts, with a good grip, for a low price. For an alternative the Matra a really nice too if you prefer a wider ring grip.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
Great post, +1

I do like the look of those Plasmas though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Good looking darts! I may have to look more closely at these as my grip seems to be changing from a rear grip to a more middle front to front grip. Guess I'm watching too many dart reviews on the Dart Review Channel. Thanks Getagrip!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(02-10-2016, 01:19 PM)Getagrip Wrote: Great post, +1

I do like the look of those Plasmas though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

yeah, they look great. I've been throwing them this morning and they are certainly growing on me.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
Cool darts! I like that there's such a wide variety of darts in a similar shape, and those ones for £11.90 seem like a bargain. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Currently throwing 22g Michael Smith darts at a One80 Gladiator III board
Great photos and descriptions. The retro's look like an old brass dart I used to full around with. I've only ever thrown that short of a dart 20+ years back. Maybe it's time I took a step back down the Retro lane?
Nice review, pics and information on the darts. RD produce quality darts and at a good price too. Some cracking looking arrows up there
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.
Very nice review Thank you.

Going to have to give Red Dragon Darts a go one day. But I'm a stick with the Darts you're comfortable guy.
(02-10-2016, 06:40 PM)Jaws Wrote: Very nice review Thank you.

Going to have to give Red Dragon Darts a go one day. But I'm a stick with the Darts you're comfortable guy.
Good for you. I wish I was, I really can't help myself every time I see a new dart I want to try!!!
+1 from me. Useful post for anyone thinking of those style of darts.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Nice. I have a set of those Retro 24s and I've had some good luck with them. Classic shape and grip in all the right places (for me).
Nice review mate, have a +1 from me
some good looking darts there. We seem to share similar taste in dart shapes. I think the first one on your list may well be my next purchase. This shape dart with rear grip seems to be few and far between but I recently ordered a set of Winmao assault which I'm waiting for delivery. I'll let you know how they are.
Retros in 24g : a modern classic?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New darts reviews! Mac-attack99 19 881 03-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Shot Darts have had a complaint about my reviews Getagrip 18 1,234 09-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Mini Camera on my board wayupna 5 1,983 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Crusher17
  Any reviews on the monster Rapier IV? andjayik 10 1,975 02-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Last Post: Tommy9dart