Shot Darts

Puma Plus Robbie Phillips 18gm Soft Tip Darts Review
Hi everyone this is my first review on here and since I have a few new darts coming in the post I thought I would post a review of my current match darts. As the title says these are the Puma Plus Robbie Phillips 18gm soft tip dart. Unfortunately I do not have a scale to verify the weight my self but they claim a +/- 0.05gm match weighting. The darts are made from 90% tungsten. They come in a premium Puma/Shot darts ambassador case with a white cardboard sleeve over the case itself.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

The darts come with a set of red L-style lippoint soft tips, red Puma vignette standard shape flights with a hole punched for a ring and set of intermediate transparent red L-style LARO shafts as well as a spare set of intermediate white LARO shafts.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

They are a classic straight barrel design with squared rings that are made from cuts of 1mm in width. The dart is made up of a section with four cuts in the middle of the dart three cuts spaced 3.5mm from the ends of the middle cuts and an additional two cuts 3.5mm from the section of three cuts. The front has a slight taper of about 4.5mm. The rear has a smooth section of about 5.2mm and a scalloped taper of about 3mm. I would say the barrel has a medium level of grip. The length of the barrel is 46mm and the diameter is 6.2mm at it's widest point. The front is drilled to a depth of 13mm and the rear to 16mm. The balance point of the barrel alone is about 22mm from the front.

Here they are with the supplied setup without the flights as I won't be using the supplied setup myself.

My setup of choice consists of a short nylon shaft (36mm in length) pictured here beside the supplied shaft (42mm in length).

My soft tip of choice is L-style Lippoint short (the white tip pictured) which is 23mm in length and I use a conversion tip for my steel tip board which is 30mm in length. The supplied tip is 25mm in length.

Here they are in my setups for soft tip and steel tip with a standard shape Harrows flight. All setup the balance point moves to the smooth section right behind the middle four cuts.

On the first throw hit a nice 100 with the dart landing ever so slightly tail up as I like. After a few days of practice I hit a few 180's , a 171 and a hat trick.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Overall I would say this dart can suit all types of grips (I am a rear/middle gripper myself). There is a bit of fish tailing when gripped from the very back on the smooth section but that is likely due to my release. From a front grip the darts tended to land about 10 degrees tail up.

Summary Ratings:
Looks : 8 (Classic straight barrel not much can go wrong there)
Grip : 6 (Grooves have fairly sharp edges but the shallow cut means that it does slip once in a while)
Adaptability : 9 (Suits just about any grip however slight fish tailing in rear grip drops it down a point)
Value : 8.5 (Well made darts. They cost $32.50 USD or roughly £22.50)

Thanks for reading, leave me some feedback as I plan to review the Harrows Weapon Kunai and Designa Crusader type A soft tip darts when they arrive.
Darts: Target Rebel Blitz, 30mm Target titanium pro points, short ProGrip spin stems, No. 6 standard flights

Harrows Weapon Javelin, 30mm Target titanium pro points, short Supergrip stems, No.6 standard flights
Great review, well done! +1

Robbie is a member here so I think he will be chuffed you have reviewed his darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review. Another classic barrel design. Some lovely shooting with them too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  XQMax MVG Original Style 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 27 4,357 01-10-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: John Weita
  Harrows Dimplex 16g soft-tip review Cosmo 5 4,368 04-06-2019, 03:23 AM
Last Post: CalixNL
  Unicorn, RVB Phase 5, World Champion, 18G, 90% Tungsten, Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 6 2,205 02-28-2019, 11:30 PM
Last Post: Ehudakineyah
  Master Darts, Jyhan Artut, 90% Tungsten, 18G Soft Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 7 1,776 10-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Bloodycut
  DPC EXTREME Performance, 18G, 90% Tungsten Soft Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 6 1,436 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM
  Unicorn Golden Hero T95, John Lowe, 95% Tungsten, 16G Soft Tip Review Ehudakineyah 28 4,757 08-07-2018, 08:31 PM
  Unicorn Golden Hero T95, John Part, 95% Tungsten, 16G Soft Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 5 2,445 08-06-2018, 09:38 PM
  Unicorn Gary Anderson World Champion Phase 3, 90% Tungsten, 18G Soft Tip Darts Review Ehudakineyah 10 3,600 08-05-2018, 07:40 AM
  Harrows, Josh Payne MAX 180, 90% Tungsten, 18G Soft Tip Darts Mini Review Ehudakineyah 5 1,645 08-01-2018, 01:14 AM
  Bulls Fighter Gemini 19g darts review soft tip version Getagrip 8 3,354 07-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Getagrip