Harrows Darts.

Throw changes
Have someone experienced that your throw changes when you play ?I am talking about when its not intended by you. When it`s happening natural ?
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(02-07-2016, 07:13 PM)Troll Wrote: Have someone experienced that your throw changes when you play ?I am talking about when its not intended by you. When it`s happening natural ?

Yes.
I think every single dart player has experienced this from the top professionals down.

Part of practice (in my opinion) is to groove your throw to such a degree that it doesn't break down when you need it most.  That's not easy to do.  I've also found it necessary to try to develop methods for "resetting" my throw when it goes to pieces in competitive play.  There's no way to fix the dart that has gone but I find it useful to have mental drills that allow me throw somewhat like I want to.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Are you talking about throwing speed?

I think that happens with most rhythm players. Players like Phil Taylor are very deliberate while throwing and if you timed his 3 throws in the beginning of a match compared to near the end, he'll most likely be throwing at the exact same speed.

Where as rhythm players tend to throw a little faster when they get warmed up or feel like they're in the zone. Lot of times those types of players base their throwing speed on their current level of accuracy, confidence, pace of their opponent, and/or where the first dart landed (like if the first dart hits in the middle of the T20 bed, the next two darts might be thrown fast because they'll often follow that first dart in).

You'll often hear announcers mention this in pro matches with rhythm players or when two of these types play each other. Barney and Lewis are both known for speeding up their throws when they start throwing hot/hitting their numbers...this especially often happens when two faster players are throwing hot while facing each other. That's one of the main reasons that so many of MVG and Lewis matches turn out to be so exciting...when Lewis' gets in his groove while playing a fast opponent, he goes into high gear.

To me it mainly comes down to confidence and something I'm not consciously aware of (I don't tell myself, "You're going to throw faster this game/next round.") It happens naturally. If I'm playing cricket and hit a T19 first dart, often the next two darts will quickly follow.

It can be good and bad though. Good because it sometimes stops you from overthinking and you go into auto-pilot. Bad though if your head is not in the game nor keeping track of the score. Like forgetting to switch to a different triple/number and leaving yourself with no out...or in cricket when you score points but then forget to close out an opponents number at the end.

I've also had times where I throw really well and start playing faster...but then go in a slump for a few rounds and will have a teammate say, "Be a bit more deliberate next throw/go a little slower." You'll see the same thing with pros too....players like Michael Smith will sometimes get used to playing fast in a rhythm but miss an important out because it was rushed too much.

You just have to follow your gut and do what feels natural to you. Just throw at your most comfortable pace and if you do naturally speed up/slow down, just go with it if it's producing good results.
I experienced this speed change just the other night. I was hitting every mark and felt confident without thinking of my throws. I never thought about how I was holding the darts I just threw them where I wanted them. But I've found when I throw like crap I realize that I'm holding the dart different or I'm not standing on the oche in the same spot as usual. My routine changed for some unknown reason.