Darts Buddy

Unicorn Ian White Maestro 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMsIGe6prTw

Well these only came out today at retail but in spite of me having the flu bug that's going around I was keen to give them a try and very pleased I have Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you may or may not know it was announced that Ian White had signed for Unicorn recently and his darts have been added to the Unicorn Maestro range.

They are 90% tungsten and as well as the 23g version reviewed here there is also a 25g version and they retail for £33.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in a slimline box with a slide out cardboard tray holding the darts pre assembled in a small triangular point holder and they are provided with a set of short Gripper 3 stems and Ian White signature Diamond Big Wing XL flights.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

As you can see its a straight barrel dart with a rounded bull nose and has a ring grip which is mostly at the front. There is a ring and a couple of grooves near the rear. The rings are quite wide and have narrower grooves in between which are fairly deep so you can feel the edges of the rings a little more than you may at first think by looking at them so its quite close to a high medium level of grip.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

Two barrels were exactly matched and the third was just four hundredths of a gram heavier so very good:

Weight of the full setup as supplied:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrels are a little front weighted:

With the supplied setup the balance is just very slightly front of centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard fights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Grip was just right for my front grip style Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts landed in my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

Well I knew nothing about these darts until I actually got them and opened them up but upon inspecting them and testing the dimensions etc I seemed to be finding a lot of things which are in my preferred range for a dart, the length was just right the width was not too thin, it had a nice bull nose and the points were around the right length and of course the weight too but also they came supplied with the Big Wing XL flights which is pretty close to my normally preferred standard shape but upon checking its very slightly longer. The only thing that was not in my usual was the short stems, I tend to us medium a lot but will depend on dart too.

So a lot of good and promising signs there which meant I was looking forward to throwing them as I kind of expected them to suit me and I was right they do Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I have been full of Flu this past week or so but I was not going to let it stop me having a throw but although I usually wait until the starting of my video before throwing I actually gave them a quick throw after I had finished taking the main pics. My last pics are the ones with the yellow stems on and after I put the original stems back on I casually threw one at the board and it hit the 5 but it felt like it was pretty good in my grip so I took a more careful aim and the next two both went into the T20! Wow I thought that was good I will get a pic of that but I wish I had been more careful with the first dart now:

I actually did that on Thursday and left the darts in the board until I came back to do the throwing portion of my video this afternoon. As you can see from the video I hit 140 on my first throw, this is more typical of me though, I have done this so many times with a new set that it makes me happy and so frustrated too, I don't know if its just a honeymoon affect from a new set but it would be nice if the last dart went in the bloody T20 too for a change lol!

Anyway second throw was not great but had a 125 on the third and on the whole they just felt very nice to throw and something was just right with them. I think with my front grip they just feel well balanced and that may be helped with the short stems but the set up seems to be pretty good for me as it is. I have seen Ian White a lot on TV and I remember from the first time I seen him I thought he had a very good solid throw, a no nonsense throw that works well but I don't think I throw anything like him so its nice to find the darts working so well for me.

I tried the darts with a more central grip which was kind of mostly on the first smooth section with a little of my thumb on the rings and it worked very well from there too. So a very good dart for a front gripper and possibly for middle grippers too.

It was not too bad when I threw from the rear either but not much grip there for rear grippers.

Overall I think this is going to be a popular dart as it is a classic style that just works well, I have not tried medium stems yet but not sure I need to, I will try them just for the sake of experimenting and report back but they are working so well out of the box for me I am happy at that! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7.5 (classic look)
Grip: 7.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 9 (2 exact)
Quality: 8 (good)
Value: 8 (good)
Suitability for me: 9 (great for me)

Best Feature: Overall good darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

beautiful review Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Id probably get a set if they came in 21g Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
+1 Top notch review and fantastic pictures as ever.
Nice darts.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Great review as ever, but the paint makes them look terrible! Paint free they'd be a much better dart IMO
First 180: 19/3/2015
Best leg 501: 12 darts (11/4/16)
Back after a hiatus, getting over dartitis 
Nice darts Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. if you remove paint Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks guys, they may be grippier without the paint, I may try that but I am stickler for keeping darts in their original guise Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Another great review again GetAGrip! 

Your review does the darts more justice than the pictures show on the websites
(02-05-2016, 08:59 PM)Pug180 Wrote: Another great review again GetAGrip! 

Your review does the darts more justice than the pictures show on the websites

Thanks mate Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Will watch it tomorrow, but:

So you got a Set before Release?
+1 for You beeing that quick and +2 for Edward for another Gesture putting U´corn above Competitors.
Great review. I really like the look of these. Might have to give them a punt.
Great Review as Always Darren :thumbup:

Looks like Storm points fit great in them
may all the doubles be with you

Look like a nice dart, great review mate probably the best darts reviewer I've come across, your reviews on youtube are actually the reason I found out about this forum! keep up the good work Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I like them, great review Darren. Hope you get to feeling better soon mate
Great review!! A little thick for my liking but otherwise a nice dart.
Great review and pics ,,,, If only they came in a lighter version ,,, or a soft tip version,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 616 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 4,785 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
Wink NEW Mckicks Premium White Mighty Grip 25gr 90% tungsten Darts (the old style is back) copigme 89 46,927 10-30-2020, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 363 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 996 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 304 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,015 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,011 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Unicorn Lumina DNA 21g darts review Getagrip 40 26,270 05-14-2020, 03:14 AM
Last Post: Bart
  Unicorn Phil Taylor Phase 3 Purist Darts Review Paldini-fc 6 669 04-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Last Post: WhiskyPops