Unicorn

The Upper Arm
Hello fellow Beginners!

Occasionally I post on this thread regarding my "Ah-Ha" moments.  Just had another, so I thought I would pass it on.

If you have seen my other posts, you know how I am very analytical.  I have evaluated (as many of you have I am sure!) my stance, grip, wrist action, elbow position, etc.  My biggest issue is keeping my elbow from rotating outward which causes a left to right motion in my throwing hand (I am right handed).  26's are not uncommon nor is the occasional "what the heck happened?" dart (throwing at 20 and hitting a 12).  Here is where I am so far.

1)  I tune my darts for the best flight by testing different shaft and flight combo's.  Right now, short stems and regular flights work best for me with 24 gm steel tips and short stems and pear shaped flight on my 18 gm soft tips.  Keep a log and write down what works best for each of your darts, especially if you are a bit of collector.

2)  Found a repeatable, comfortable grip that allows a consistent release with modest wrist action.

3)  Toe 45 degrees to the oche.  For me, this is the most comfortable and sets me up to be in my best starting position.

4)  Pointing not only my shoulder, but my elbow towards the target.  I achieve this by starting a bit further back on the draw which naturally brings my elbow up as I sight my dart at the target.  The elbow is pointing at the target from a left to right perspective and aiming just below the intended target.  I did this to decrease the chance of my elbow rotating.   This lead to my big, recent Ah-Ha! moment.

5)  The big Ah-Ha! - I focus on keeping my upper arm steady as a rock when I draw and throw.  This has done wonders to prevent my elbow from rotating or my pushing instead of throwing the dart.  You also have to visualize that your throwing hand is coming a bit over the top (as Priestley says).  With the set up I described above, I am starting with my elbow much closer to the classic finish which has your arm fully extended and pointing at or just below the target.  There is a small amount of upward movement by my elbow and the end of the stroke to get to full extension, but the dart is long gone by then.  This has greatly decreased or eliminated any rotation of my elbow and my hand goes over the top straight towards the target.

6)  Avoid "Analysis Paralysis" - Something I posted in another thread.  What I mean is, focus on something, make a small, well thought out tweak, then just throw.  Quit thinking and just do it.  My problem was that I fell into the trap of overanalyzing and this lead to me changing my grip or something about my stroke every few darts.  This is the absolute death knell for consistency.  And consistency is the first step to accuracy.

The results:

1) My 501 # of darts has dropped from 40 or so to around 22.  This is absolutely phenomenal for me personally and as a beginner.  Also, I am hitting or just barely missing my doubles with a much higher frequency.

2)  I am closing half or a little more of my numbers in Cricket with trebles.

3)  My A1 routine has come down from taking around 24 rounds to around 11-12.

All of this is incredible progress for me.  Now, I continue to work on making this throw second nature thru muscle memory.  About 75% there and improving daily.

I know many who read this come by much of the above naturally, but I know some do not so I wanted to put this out there to see if it would help anyone else.

I look forward to your comments and hearing about the things that have helped you in your game!
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I was having a problem with my throws going all over the place because my elbow was drifting instead of staying level to the board. I practiced actually holding my elbow in place with one hand to gain that muscle memory and it really helped. You see pro basketball players lining up for free throws sometimes taking a ghost shot doing the same thing throwing with no ball. Check it out sometime
To add to your Ah-ha and quote John Part:

Quote:The elbow should be extended fully towards the target. Really extend and stretch the elbow out. It may feel unnatural at first, but it is an excellent habit to develop.

This will drastically minimize movement in upper arm as well.
Good to hear your finding solutions that work, try not to be too analytical though as that can lead to problems which I think your already aware of re: overthinking Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If I fully extend my elbow "at" the target, my throwing hand is in front of my forehead and I can't see squat. If I point my elbow at a spot a foot below the board, I'm fine.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(02-06-2016, 05:18 PM)brenthahn Wrote: If I fully extend my elbow "at" the target, my throwing hand is in front of my forehead and I can't see squat.  If I point my elbow at a spot a foot below the board, I'm fine.

Agree completely.  Your description is actually what I am doing.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system.