Double Top Darts.

How to overcome emotional barrier?
Hi guys. I'm relatively new to darts. I just started about a month ago (around 2-3 times a week). I understand that it's hard to find consistency especially for beginners but sometimes, I'm really frustrated at the amount of bad throws. I feel pissed at the number of tries without hitting my desired targets. I feel that I really need to overcome this emotional barrier of mine. I tried to be positive but sometimes, I'm just frustrated at the throws. I need some advice on this. One more thing, I realized that I can throw quite a number of bull for the first 1 to 2 hours and after that, I started to lose my touch. Why is this happening? I just can't play more than 2 hours.. My throws will become worse... Any advice on this? If yes, how did you guys overcome this ? I know I'm quite hard on myself but I just want to improve my consistency. Usually, when I start a darts session, everything is fine but after an hour or so, my touch is gone just like that.. Advice is much needed. Thank you..

I just need some advice on how to overcome the emotional frustration especially playing cricket. It's frustrating when you fail to close the number and your bud is getting points after points out of it.
Honestly it's too soon for you to be judging yourself.  You need to play for several months before you develop any kind of consistency, even then it will be choppy.  You should try flight school as one of the main objectives is developing your stroke and consistency.  If you struggle to play longer than 2 hours I would say stop at that point.  No need to reinforce any bad habits -

Give it some time - consistency only comes with practice - lots
(02-01-2016, 05:58 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Honestly it's too soon for you to be judging yourself.  You need to play for several months before you develop any kind of consistency, even then it will be choppy.  You should try flight school as one of the main objectives is developing your stroke and consistency.  If you struggle to play longer than 2 hours I would say stop at that point.  No need to reinforce any bad habits -

This makes good sense ...

Match Darts=Target Darryl Fitton,s® 22g

Back ups= Hmmmmm??? ®

And..A few sets of spares .®   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Cheers,
 Ken 
(02-01-2016, 05:58 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: Honestly it's too soon for you to be judging yourself.  You need to play for several months before you develop any kind of consistency, even then it will be choppy.  You should try flight school as one of the main objectives is developing your stroke and consistency.  If you struggle to play longer than 2 hours I would say stop at that point.  No need to reinforce any bad habits -

May I know what is flight school? Sorry, I'm new to this forum and the world of darts as well. There are many terms that seem fresh to me.. Haha. 

Yeah, I guess it's just me being too hard on myself. I shall play for a few month first.. I just can't stand the amount of bad throws especially during cricket. Sigh. Thanks once again.

Very good advice there, take that on board.
I've been playing on and off for years without any great consistency, only recently I've started to properly knuckle down and practice I've started to notice more consistency to my game. My advice would be to not think about it all too much at the moment as you're only starting out. Just throw your natural throw don't try to emulate anyone, and keep at it! You'll start by noticing you're hitting 41's/45's alot more than 26's and it'll just build from there. Try not to make practice too repetitive either I find it helps to vary it between hitting trebles, doubles, bulls, practicing different checkouts etc
(02-01-2016, 06:09 PM)Bullzeye501 Wrote:

Very good advice there, take that on board.
I've been playing on and off for years without any great consistency, only recently I've started to properly knuckle down and practice I've started to notice more consistency to my game. My advice would be to not think about it all too much at the moment as you're only starting out. Just throw your natural throw don't try to emulate anyone, and keep at it! You'll start by noticing you're hitting 41's/45's alot more than 26's and it'll just build from there. Try not to make practice too repetitive either I find it helps to vary it between hitting trebles, doubles, bulls, practicing different checkouts etc

I play soft darts as there are soft darts machines nearby my area. Do you think I should keep competing with others because this might be the factor why I'm pissed. I might take results too seriously at this stage which leads to frustration for losing too much. I feel demotivated whenever I lose for failing to checkout.
Practice makes perfect. Which is completely untrue but it can get you pretty bloody close!
And nothing beats experience, win or lose experience is invaluable
How can you throw darts if you are frustrated? Won't that breed more frustration from ever poorer darts?  Handling frustration is the first step towards becoming a better player.  

How you learn to manage that is up to you. 

What many people do is they look at how the pros throw, and try to mimic key points. The most important of which is to follow through, with palm down at the end of the stroke.

At first, don't care about developing accuracy, just care about developing consistency.  Learn and develop *your* stroke. 

So, Eric Bristow's advice to throw a dart and follow with the other two applies here.  If you're not able to group darts, the big scores are far away.  Grouping is the first tool to master to scoring heavy.  This also happens to be the Flight School drill A2.  Do this for 5-10 minutes at a time and rest.

If you are throwing mindlessly, stop and rest.  Your job is to remember what your arm was doing from stroke to stroke.  Skill in darts is largely a matter of the quality of your sense of proprioception -- knowing/feeling where your arm is when you are holding/driving it away from your body.  

Well thrown darts are what you need to remember.  Poorly thrown darts are what you need to detect and correct.  If you cannot feel what you did, you cannot fix it.  Get a video of yourself, and compare to the pros. Well thrown does not necessarily mean good scoring.  If you snatch or stop short or stab at a number and it goes in, that was a good result from a lousy toss. If you are wiring dart after dart into the T5 T1 T7 T3, those are well thrown, but lack perfect aim.... pinpoint accuracy will come.  I know i would prefer to throw well and miss than to spastically deliver a dart and hit..... though if it is a match winner, I'll take it.  I;ll just work harder to stop doing that.....

There is no sense standing in front of the board and throwing without a plan.  Having a plan is the first step towards being a better player.  Having the right plan often requires finding a coach.  Doing the plan is all about your dedication..... The worst thing you can do is to stray and start mindlessly throwing at the T20.  A good plan has drills that you must score. A good plan suits your skill level.

Flight School is great because they give you a very good plan.  Stick to it.  Don't over-reach by working more than A1 and A2.  A3 is out until you can put all three darts in the area of a flight 9 times out of 10.   Don't stray into doing weird challenges like 100 darts at 20.... I mean when do you need to have that skill?  Good games of 501 are in the 20 dart range.....throwing 100 *will* tire you out.

Break practice down into at most 30 minute sessions.  Even this is too long for most people.  I use drills that take around 15-20 minutes to complete.  Then I think "Can I do another?" if I can, I will.  If there is doubt, I stop and rest.  

Throwing wasted darts teaches you that it is ok to throw wasted darts. A wasted dart is not one that misses, it is one that you cannot throw mindfully or that you are too tired to throw well......
(02-01-2016, 06:34 PM)BigE Wrote: How can you throw darts if you are frustrated? Won't that breed more frustration from ever poorer darts?  Handling frustration is the first step towards becoming a better player.  

What many people do is they look at how the pros throw, and try to mimic key points. The most important of which is to follow through, with palm down at the end of the stroke.

At first, don't care about developing accuracy, just care about developing consistency.  Learn and develop *your* stroke. 

So, Eric Bristow's advice to throw a dart and follow with the other two applies here.  If you're not able to group darts, the big scores are far away.  Grouping is the first tool to master to scoring heavy.  This also happens to be the Flight School drill A2.  Do this for 5-10 minutes at a time and rest.

If you are throwing mindlessly, stop and rest.  Your job is to remember what your arm was doing from stroke to stroke.  Skill in darts is largely a matter of the quality of your sense of proprioception -- knowing/feeling where your arm is when you are holding/driving it away from your body.  

Well thrown darts are what you need to remember.  Poorly thrown darts are what you need to detect and correct.  If you cannot feel what you did, you cannot fix it.  Get a video of yourself, and compare to the pros. Well thrown does not necessarily mean good scoring.  If you snatch or stop short or stab at a number and it goes in, that was a good result from a lousy toss. If you are wiring dart after dart into the T5 T1 T7 T3, those are well thrown, but lack perfect aim.... pinpoint accuracy will come.  I know i would prefer to throw well and miss than to spastically deliver a dart and hit..... though if it is a match winner, I'll take it.  I;ll just work harder to stop doing that.....

There is no sense standing in front of the board and throwing without a plan.  Having a plan is the first step towards being a better player.  Having the right plan often requires finding a coach.  Doing the plan is all about your dedication..... The worst thing you can do is to stray and start mindlessly throwing at the T20.  A good plan has drills that you must score. A good plan suits your skill level.

Flight School is great because they give you a very good plan.  Stick to it.  Don't over-reach by working more than A1 and A2.  A3 is out until you can put all three darts in the area of a flight 9 times out of 10.   Don't stray into doing weird challenges like 100 darts at 20.... I mean when do you need to have that skill?  Good games of 501 are in the 20 dart range.....throwing 100 *will* tire you out.

Break practice down into at most 30 minute sessions.  Even this is too long for most people.  I use drills that take around 15-20 minutes to complete.  Then I think "Can I do another?" if I can, I will.  If there is doubt, I stop and rest.  

Throwing wasted darts teaches you that it is ok to throw wasted darts. A wasted dart is not one that misses, it is one that you cannot throw mindfully or that you are too tired to throw well......
Thanks for the advice there. Spot on, I can't throw mindfully after throwing for 1 hr or so.. That should be the better term. So, I guess I should split my practice session into smaller scale e.g 15-20 mins per session. I guess it might be more effective rather than throwing wasted darts as what you've said. Thank you once again. Cheers..
When you play, just hide your frustrations as it motivates your opponent. Make this a habit. Be conscious on those negative behaviors on the oche.

Constant practice builds confidence and with confidence, you enjoy a lot of room to have fun while playing.
(02-01-2016, 06:42 PM)Aaron Chan Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 06:34 PM)BigE Wrote: How can you throw darts if you are frustrated? Won't that breed more frustration from ever poorer darts?  Handling frustration is the first step towards becoming a better player.  

Thanks for the advice there. Spot on, I can't throw mindfully after throwing for 1 hr or so.. That should be the better term. So, I guess I should split my practice session into smaller scale e.g 15-20 mins per session. I guess it might be more effective rather than throwing wasted darts as what you've said. Thank you once again. Cheers..

Take a look at the thread on Deliberate Practice. I find it is very hard to do, but very effective.
(02-01-2016, 06:48 PM)majeek Wrote: When you play, just hide your frustrations as it motivates your opponent. Make this a habit. Be conscious on those negative behaviors on the oche.

Constant practice builds confidence and with confidence, you enjoy a lot of room to have fun while playing.
I don't really show my frustrations but I guess it destroys me mentally (p.s I dont punch dart boards) haha... Alright, I will keep practicing.. Thanks!
i started where you are. and as i was told in archery, dont worry about the outcome. and don't worry about your past throws. just concentrate on your next throw.

you need volume to develop form, then your form becomes consistent, and voila you have some consistency. practice practice practice
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362
Hi been playing off/on for almost 60yrs..I started at 9yr old ...because it was fun and I enjoyed it..over the years I got fairly good at the game and I still enjoy a game..I think you are making hurdles for yourself with emotional issues, that really don't need to exist, like every sport you have you have a learning curve, its like life, but Iam shure you didn't start to play the game, other than to enjoy it, don't set yourself a time frame or schedule of practice if you get bored or annoyed with, that achieves zero, try and be constructive with your practice..ie..round the board even double odd the next day and so on..I even practiced as I got better by putting a sheet of Newspaper over the board..its surprising how close you can get to what you cant see..variation in your practice is they key, put the darts away if your getting to the point of being fed up, then its gets to be a chore, just be positive and think before you start..I am going to enjoy this and I am going to improve over the few months ahead because I like a good game of darts, because I ENJOY it..good luck be positive and have FUN.
It's just a game, relax and have fun. I don't know what else to say.

You are 'relatively new' to the game so why are you even worrying about this?

My arm also gets a bit sloppy after a couple of hours, you just need to take a break. It's no big deal.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Overcome Overthinking chak840 13 992 09-14-2018, 08:40 PM
Last Post: davee64
  Taking out a strong but 'emotional' opponent out of his top game Joe Darts 37 4,348 02-08-2017, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Hoppy
  Mental Barrier in Cricket schook 14 1,945 02-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Last Post: schook