Unicorn

Brilliant MvG Retains Unibet Masters Title
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.BRILLIANT VAN GERWEN RETAINS UNIBET MASTERS TITLE 

MICHAEL VAN GERWEN retained his Unibet Masters title with an imperious 11-6 defeat of Dave Chisnall at ArenaMK on Sunday night, after surviving seven missed darts against Phil Taylor on his way to glory. 

Van Gerwen had kicked off his 2015 challenge with victory in Milton Keynes before going on to win a further 17 events during the year, and again came out on top in the battle of the world's top 16.

After storming past both Stephen Bunting and Michael Smith for the loss of only four legs as he reached the semi-finals, van Gerwen then overcame a huge scare to see off a revitalised Taylor 11-10.

Taylor himself had come through a deciding leg in his quarter-final win over Peter Wright, but missed seven darts to defeat van Gerwen before the Dutchman produced a 12-darter to move into the final.

There, he took the opening five legs without giving Chisnall a dart at a double, hitting four 180s in the process, and went on to finish 110 as he led 7-1.

Chisnall - who had hit back from 8-0 down to win his first round tie with Robert Thornton before also defeating Vincent van der Voort and James Wade - took three of the next four legs to threaten another comeback as he cut the gap to 8-4.

The next four were shared as Chisnall matched his rival's tally of six 180s, but the world number ten was unable to claim another break of throw as van Gerwen held on to hit double five for the title.

"I'm really happy to win this trophy," said van Gerwen, who averaged 104 for the tournament. "I really had to work for this and it was a hard day.

"I had a bit of luck but you can't ask for anything more than to be holding the trophy at the end. Phil missed seven match darts, which he normally never does, and when someone gives you a chance like that you have to take it.

"At 5-0 in the final I knew the game was over. I had a couple of good finishes afterwards, held my own throw and it was enough to win the game.

"It was a tough day and I feel fantastic. It means a lot to me and I'm really glad to win this Unibet Masters again.

"I started last year exactly the same and we start the Premier League this Thursday, so that's my aim now. I'll enjoy this win and get myself ready to play James Wade in Leeds."

Chisnall was appearing in the fourth televised final of his career, having hit a thrilling 12 maximums in his 11-6 semi-final win over James Wade, but the St Helens ace was left to take home the £25,000 runner-up prize.

"After being 8-0 down in the first round I didn't expect to get through that, so it's a great weekend to reach the final," said Chisnall. "I'm not happy with how I played in the final but there were a few tired darts.

"I beat Michael in the World Grand Prix a couple of years ago and he's punished me for it ever since! You can't give him a head start like I did but he was too good there and he showed why he's the world number one.

"I'm playing really well but it wasn't meant to be and I'll try again in the next tournament."

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]2016 Unibet Masters 
[/font]

Sunday January 31 

Evening Session
Semi-Finals 

Dave Chisnall 11-6 James Wade

Michael van Gerwen 11-10 Phil Taylor

Best of 21 legs

Final 

Michael van Gerwen 11-6 Dave Chisnall

Best of 21 legs

MATCH UPDATES 

Dave Chisnall v James Wade 

Dave Chisnall powered into the fourth televised final of his career by landing 12 180s in a superb 11-6 defeat of James Wade at ArenaMK.

Five of those maximums came in the opening five legs as Chisnall also landed a 174 score in opening up an early 4-1 lead, before Wade finished legs of 14, 12 and 12 darts - hitting five maximums of his own in a three-leg burst to level.

Wade also landed a 180 and a 138 checkout to level in the tenth leg, but Chisnall found another gear to take the next five legs without reply and move 10-5 up, hitting another three 180s and claiming two breaks of throw.

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wade took out double eight to keep his hopes alive but it would prove a brief rally as Chisnall took out 117 to seal his spot in the final.
[/font]

Michael van Gerwen v James Wade 

Michael van Gerwen survived seven missed match darts from Phil Taylor to continue his challenge to retain the Unibet Masters title with a nerve-shredding 11-10 semi-final win over his great rival.

Taylor's bid to return to winning ways on the big stage had seen him take leads of 3-1, 7-4 and 9-6 in a high-quality contest, only for van Gerwen to take out finishes of 161, 130 and 144 as he levelled at nine-all.

Taylor landed a 174 score before double 16 put him 10-9 up, only to then miss seven match darts in leg 20 as van Gerwen scrambled in double 16 to send the match into a decider.

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]The world number one scored 140, 140 and 134 to leave 87, and when Taylor was unable to take out 122 the Dutchman stepped in to finish the combination on double 12 to seal his great escape[/font][/font]

Michael van Gerwen v Dave Chisnall 

Michael van Gerwen retained his Unibet Masters title with an imperious 11-6 defeat of Dave Chisnall at ArenaMK on Sunday night, after surviving seven missed darts against Phil Taylor on his way to glory.

Van Gerwen had kicked off his 2015 challenge with victory in Milton Keynes before going on to win a further 17 events during the year, and again came out on top in the battle of the world's top 16.

After storming past both Stephen Bunting and Michael Smith for the loss of only four legs as he reached the semi-finals, van Gerwen then overcame a huge scare to see off a revitalised Taylor 11-10.

Taylor himself had come through a deciding leg in his quarter-final win over Peter Wright, but missed seven darts to defeat van Gerwen before the Dutchman produced a 12-darter to move into the final.

There, he took the opening five legs without giving Chisnall a dart at a double, hitting four 180s in the process, and went on to finish 110 as he led 7-1.

Chisnall - who had hit back from 8-0 down to win his first round tie with Robert Thornton before also defeating Vincent van der Voort and James Wade - took three of the next four legs to threaten another comeback as he cut the gap to 8-4.

[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]The next four were shared as Chisnall matched his rival's tally of six 180s, but the world number ten was unable to claim another break of throw as van Gerwen held on to hit double five for the title.[/font][/font][/font]
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Well MVG!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
He was superb had to fancy him to do a good job on Chizzy after his match with Taylor. Going into a final with that kind of buzz and win was always going to put him in a good light. His checkouts were amazing.
Ayup Comrades

Great night of darts, theres life in the old dog yet!
Phil will be kicking himself for letting MvG off the hook, the best I've seen Wade play in yrs.
Deserved winner in MvG.

Shed
MVG had absolutely no fear of Chisnall in the final, to him it was a when not an if he would win. Confidence earned by overcoming Phil Taylor in the semi final.
Could not believe Taylor playing so well with the new darts so soon, the final was within his reach!.
If this is how comfortable he is with them already it will not be long before he starts collecting silverware again.
Great to see signs of Wade raising his game too.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
He was a lucky lucky boy , taylor let him off the hook big time
(02-01-2016, 02:32 PM)Del Wrote: He was a lucky lucky boy , taylor let him off the hook big time

There is nothing "lucky" about Van Gerwen he is the best player in the World right now.  Michael is the best player I have ever seen throw a dart since I have been watching darts.
(02-01-2016, 05:06 PM)kevmode Wrote:
(02-01-2016, 02:32 PM)Del Wrote: He was a lucky lucky boy , taylor let him off the hook big time

There is nothing "lucky" about Van Gerwen he is the best player in the World right now.  Michael is the best player I have ever seen throw a dart since I have been watching darts.

There's always luck.

Sure he's the best right now, not really up for debate, but there is still luck involved.

(02-01-2016, 05:06 PM)kevmode Wrote:

The fact that he is world number 1 on merit is indisputable but the fact that Taylor missed SEVEN match darts surely means he was lucky to make the final.
Once in the final against a player he has beaten their last 10 meetings he had no fear of losing
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
He was a lucky boy full stop
I cant stand him
Ayup Del

Sometimes you make your own luck, and just coz you dislike him.
Shouldn't stop you aknowledging him, as the best at this moment in time.

Shed
His talent is undoubtable , his persona on that stage makes me sick
To be fair, MvG missed a crap load of doubles early going to even allow the match to be close. Match evened out at the end when Phil missed a bunch of doubles when it really mattered.
MvG is world #1. That is undeniable.

MvG was very lucky to see Taylor miss 7 match darts. That too is undeniable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2020 Unibet Premier League mc1958 288 15,859 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  2019 Unibet European Championship mc1958 74 4,367 11-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Last Post: SamCarter501
  2018 Unibet European Championship mc1958 125 7,102 10-30-2018, 11:18 PM
Last Post: ChrisTheFish
  2018 Unibet World Grand Prix mc1958 108 6,747 10-07-2018, 01:57 PM
Last Post: sjmattitude1982
  2018 Unibet Masters discussion Cosmo 68 6,203 01-29-2018, 02:52 AM
Last Post: Brazen
  2018 Unibet Masters Draw & Schedule mc1958 16 3,068 01-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Last Post: jonathanelder
  2018 Unibet Premier League Fixtures mc1958 0 801 01-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  2017 Unibet European Championship discussion mc1958 68 8,039 10-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Askew180
  2017 Unibet World Grand Prix discussion mc1958 185 24,743 10-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: SpoonyG
  2017 Unibet World Grand Prix Draw mc1958 20 2,986 09-19-2017, 09:25 AM
Last Post: hamo