Unicorn

Springs or Clips (Rings)
Hey Nutz,

I'm about to give Nylon stems a try for the first time, but don't understand the difference in the clips or rings/coiled spring types. These wil no doubt wound up lost, but what's the difference?  I'm going to try Super Grip and Pro Grip stems for my first round, but I want to order the correct "rings" for spares. If anyone would advise, I would be most  grateful.
I use the Target slot lock rings. they are great and hold better than stem rings what are standard on Target stems
may all the doubles be with you

Do those require a special flight set up? Sorry, I've seen those I think, but not sure...
(01-31-2016, 07:23 PM)SixGun Wrote: Do those require a special flight set up? Sorry, I've seen those I think, but not sure...

Your flights need to be (punched) to make the rings fit in a flight.
may all the doubles be with you

You can use the rings that come with the stems, plenty of choice in stems with lots of different lengths too.
RD do big packs of nylon ring grip stems and flight punches are not very expensive
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
I see, so the rings that come with the stems really do no good until you punch the flights I guess? I was wondering, and it didn't make any sense to me. Sorry for the dumb questions fellas, and thanks. Very much.
SixGun,,,No questions are dumb,,,,,,,The spring rings that come with the dart shafts/stems such as ,,,Target ,,Harrows,,L-Flight,,,ect,,, All are intended to sit right in front of the non punched flight ,,,

On these most of the time you carefully slide the spring/ring up to loosen the tangs to except a normal non-punched flight ,,,by sliding the flight down if tightens up as your flight slides on,,, if your flight bottoms out ,, you may be able to push the ring/spring further down tightening the grip even more,,,,,,

I like others may use a combination of Stem/spring rings with slot rings for even more holding power,,, and them some may even add a cap punched cap to the end of the tangs to protect the whole setup from robinhoods,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I use nothing with my nylon or plastic stems. It's a wast of time.
(01-31-2016, 08:26 PM)DDDeadeye Wrote: I use nothing with my nylon or plastic stems. It's a wast of time.

If that works for you fantastic,,,,, Then may you never get Old and Fat and lazy like me,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I prefer never to have to ever chase down parts because may dart hit the floor and exploded when it hit the floor,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Everyone is different and what works for me today ,,,I'll pull a "Peter Wright" and change tomorrow,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks all, and I appreciate that oldjoblo. I see how this works now for sure.

Although I'm not sure it's a waste of time altogether, it's seems like a lot of fiddling about with little bits and gizmos. I can see the pain of re-inserting flights all the time as well. I sure like the looks of some of these stems, and I've read the cons on curtains colors being more brittle. Still, parts for this game are pretty cheap so there's not much to put out when they are broken. I think for the moment, I'll try some out with thicker flights, and see how it goes. I really appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks a ton.
SixGun if you throwing soft tip ,,, Nylon stems and regular flights are all that you will likely need ,,, Throwing steel tip will eventually wreck whatever setup you choose ,,,, the rings and caps just make them last a lot longer ,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Thanks joblo, and nope, I may eat Crow someday, but currently there isn't a sliver of a chance I'll be throwing soft tips. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that. I default to steel without even thinking it over.

Your statement makes me wonder though, do the punched flights with rings reduce wreckage from Robin Hoods or is it something else? As the rings versus springs, I guess some just prefer one to the other? I won't be trying either this round, just curious. Anytime you guys get tired of these questions, just tell me.
Sixgun anytime you add a spring or a punched ring you are adding a potential to catch the point of the oncoming dart ,,provided it gets past the tangs of the dart ,,,,,The smaller stem spring/rings are usually toast after the first good shot ,, on the other hand ,, the Punched Target Titanium rings are super tough and can withstand 10 x the abuse,,,,

Ya depending on your choice of flight ,, some stems hold really well without stem rings ,,,I use really thin flights and some stems with not hold enough to keep the flight on when it hits the floor,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I made kind of a guide for keeping flights on stems. A lot of it is personal preference but you can find the link in my signature.
(01-31-2016, 08:42 PM)SixGun Wrote: Thanks all, and I appreciate that oldjoblo. I see how this works now for sure.

Although I'm not sure it's a waste of time altogether, it's seems like a lot of fiddling about with little bits and gizmos. I can see the pain of re-inserting flights all the time as well. I sure like the looks of some of these stems, and I've read the cons on curtains colors being more brittle. Still, parts for this game are pretty cheap so there's not much to put out when they are broken. I think for the moment, I'll try some out with thicker flights, and see how it goes. I really appreciate all the feedback guys, thanks a ton.

I think you will find if you use 130/150 micron flights without rings/springs if you then try to use a 75/100 flight the stem will not hold it without a spring/ring, also if you hit a stem end with another dart it will more than likely either bend one or more of the stem tangs down or break it off making the stem US.  & although as you say they are cheap & easy to replace this could happen several times in a game/match With a spring/ring if this happens there is a good chance the stem will survive & still be usuable  Useing with various set ups will give you the best for you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do Punched Flights and Springs Increase Longevity? Eddie_Arrow 12 783 02-08-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: nixer55