Target Darts.

Struggling to find a comfortable grip?
Hi, i posted here a few days ago about the way i grip the dart and if it was a bad habit and most suggested to get rid of the way i was throwing. I wasn't feeling comfortable with the grip i had. I looked at all the PDC players grips and i noticed they all seem to grip the dart with 2 finger and maybe a third to keep the point straight. But i tried using only 2 fingers and it was impossible, i don't understand how they throw with 2 fingers on the dart. It's really dragging my game down that i can't find a grip that i feel comfortable with. Any suggestions on ways to find a grip? Thanks!
Often the first time you grip a dart is the right grip, but its hard for people to tell you what will be comfortable for you because its only you can know that.

How do you grip a pen?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts is a simple game to play,people put way too much thought into their grip. Just pick up the dart and throw it and have fun doing so that is the only way to find a grip. Now that you have a grip that's natural you can tweek it here and there but don't do too much at once,just little things here and there to improve consistency. I changed my grip for a while and it was great but it just never felt right and I had to constantly think about the way I was holding it taking away from the job at hand which is throwing darts. So now I'm back to how I used to hold them,may not be perfect throw but it works and doesn't involve any thinking about and negatives can be worked on over time.
All just my opinion obviously.

One thing I will say. Do not try to spin the darts out of your hand on purpose if it happens naturally all well and good but adding it yourself is a bad idea and its just one more thing to go wrong.
180's in 2016 so far - 29
180's in 2015 . - 119

Highest out this year. - 117
Highest out 2015  - 170

Highest Checkout - Practice 170,Match 152

Best 501 - Practice 10 darts,Match 13 darts

Darts used - Red dragon Invicta 97
Just pick up the dart and hold it whatever way feels natural, don't think about it just let it happen. That is your starting point
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I agree. I found the more I tried different grips, the more difficult they were to consistently reproduce. Not to mention that some just felt "weak" and gave me almost no control.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I just throw my darts like I'd throw a pencil at someone's head. Never really thought about grip, what feels natural must be best I'd think, especially at first.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
(01-27-2016, 08:15 PM)FireInTheCity Wrote: I just throw my darts like I'd throw a pencil at someone's head. Never really thought about grip, what feels natural must be best I'd think, especially at first.

Lol - like throwing it on someone's head! Try imagining throwing it on someone's "behind" as well!
(01-27-2016, 08:18 PM)majeek Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 08:15 PM)FireInTheCity Wrote: I just throw my darts like I'd throw a pencil at someone's head. Never really thought about grip, what feels natural must be best I'd think, especially at first.

Lol - like throwing it on someone's head! Try imagining throwing it on someone's "behind" as well!

haha, I just imagine I'm back at school and I'm taking aim at the bully's head sat in front of me with my sharpened HB.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
(01-27-2016, 01:56 PM)twiggy Wrote: Hi, i posted here a few days ago about the way i grip the dart and if it was a bad habit and most suggested to get rid of the way i was throwing. I wasn't feeling comfortable with the grip i had. I looked at all the PDC players grips and i noticed they all seem to grip the dart with 2 finger and maybe a third to keep the point straight. But i tried using only 2 fingers and it was impossible, i don't understand how they throw with 2 fingers on the dart. It's really dragging my game down that i can't find a grip that i feel comfortable with. Any suggestions on ways to find a grip? Thanks!

I'm with you on this one Twiggy.  For one, I have recently bought WAY too many sets.  I'm new to the game, so shouldn't be trying SO many different darts, it's not helping.  It is really FUN though.  Too many different balance points and types of grip are confusing me further.  Must settle on just one (or 3 sets) and get very used to them.

Today, I'll try a 2 finger grip (although 3 feels more natural).  The quest goes on.
Many guides recommend a starting grip like how you hold a pen: https://www.darts501.com/Howtothrowdarts-Part2.html

Place the dart in your open palm. Then roll the dart to your fingers, and place your thumb just at or very slightly behind the COG of the dart, and hold it naturally like a pen.

Find what you're most comfortable with and try that for a week before any changes.

An integral part of how a person grips depends on the design of the dart as well, especially the cuts and where they are placed along the dart. If you have multiple sets of darts, use just one whose design suits your grip and stick with it for a few months till you have really established your grip. Change it if it doesn't, but stick to that new set for at least a few months.

NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Sit the dart on a table. Pick it up that's your normal grip.
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay
I use four finger to grip
Some suggestion: look at Ron Harrington and his darts
also look at Unicorn gripper CG
Do you know how aggressive you want your grip to be?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't find a "comfortable" dart grip RfcScotty97 15 475 02-14-2021, 09:47 PM
Last Post: Borisbbadd
  Struggling with the 1st dart eskoo 1 199 04-30-2020, 06:32 PM
Last Post: UncleJJ
  Struggling with Throw and Release joelrussell19 4 480 02-05-2020, 04:47 AM
Last Post: YoungStarDC
  cant find a throw or grip that feels right, need advice Liam Twigg 7 993 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dj_stat8
  Struggling in matches Namesoom 5 426 12-04-2017, 03:23 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Struggling in most areas... clem1995 21 1,541 08-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Last Post: nightcrawler
  Struggling with my throw and need outside advice. watsontotty 10 1,703 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Last Post: watsontotty
  Help me find a new set of darts. Tez Tickle 11 1,700 05-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Last Post: Viking
  Struggling with throw, grip!! Joshthomas1203 9 1,434 03-08-2016, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Chardotz
  Struggling to find a throw twiggy 11 2,045 03-01-2016, 01:11 PM
Last Post: nivla