Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

ended
Video 
ended
(01-25-2016, 10:42 PM)twiggy Wrote: hi, so i started playing darts only 3 months ago and i found a comfortable throw fairly quickly. I have tried different ways to throw but they just don't work for me. But recently i noticed i spin the dart when i throw, is this a bad thing? i can't really tell but it looks like some pro's spin it too, i might be wrong. When i try to NOT spin the dart it feels really uncomfortable. But i have a feeling spinning the dart might be making my grouping inconsistent, is it? or is it just because i'm new i'm really not sure. [Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUp3dbQV...e=youtu.be]

I've said if before and I'll say it again, I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. method of doing most things, as in Keep It Simple Stupid.

Not implying you're stupid mind you, just saying I believe the less unnecessary motion in your throw, the better for consistency.

Yes, some players darts do spin on their way to the board, but I don't think many of them rotate the dart as much as your video shows your doing it.
Get rid of that if you ask me...I see no practical use of it, spinning the dart into place, so you have a better grip is one thing - what you do, seems unnecessary and not really productive.
I am spinning the dart too and in my case it gives the dart a much more stable flight. But on the other hand, when you don't spin the dart exactly the same every time you throw, it will be an inconsistent part of your game. So I think you can keep spinnig your dart because you feel comfortable with it, same with me, and just keep practising until your throw gets consistent. The most important thing ist that you always have fun while practising! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Target Perfect Storm 22g  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts spin naturally and I think it stabilizes the dart IMO. I however do not roll them like u do Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-25-2016, 11:23 PM)*Saber* Wrote: My darts spin naturally and I think it stabilizes the dart IMO. I however do not roll them like u do Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I was gonna say my darts rotate clockwise a little when I throw naturally ... but that is something else.

Edit: Mind you, if you are banging out 180's everyday, then carry on.
.......................................................................................................................................
Darts: Red Dragon Recoil 25g, Red Dragon Andrew Gilding 25g. Stems: Harrows Supergrip, Flights: Harrows
(01-25-2016, 10:53 PM)gumbo2176 Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 10:42 PM)twiggy Wrote: hi, so i started playing darts only 3 months ago and i found a comfortable throw fairly quickly. I have tried different ways to throw but they just don't work for me. But recently i noticed i spin the dart when i throw, is this a bad thing? i can't really tell but it looks like some pro's spin it too, i might be wrong. When i try to NOT spin the dart it feels really uncomfortable. But i have a feeling spinning the dart might be making my grouping inconsistent, is it? or is it just because i'm new i'm really not sure. [Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUp3dbQV...e=youtu.be]

I've said if before and I'll say it again, I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S. method of doing most things, as in Keep It Simple Stupid.

Not implying you're stupid mind you, just saying I believe the less unnecessary motion in your throw, the better for consistency.

Yes, some players darts do spin on their way to the board, but I don't think many of them rotate the dart as much as your video shows your doing it.
Hi, in the video i am showing the motion multiple times. for 3 darts i do the motion 3 times, once each throw. rolling back as i bring the dart back and rolling forward when i throw
(01-25-2016, 11:06 PM)Gada Wrote: Get rid of that if you ask me...I see no practical use of it, spinning the dart into place, so you have a better grip is one thing - what you do, seems unnecessary and not really productive.

I understand where you are coming from. I don't consciously do it when i'm playing/practicing tho
(01-25-2016, 11:31 PM)twiggy Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 11:06 PM)Gada Wrote: Get rid of that if you ask me...I see no practical use of it, spinning the dart into place, so you have a better grip is one thing - what you do, seems unnecessary and not really productive.

I understand where you are coming from. I don't consciously do it when i'm playing/practicing tho

Uniboffin over at Unicorn says that the amount of spin on the dart that the general player uses is enough to stabilize it and correct for any weird equipment faults, like bent shafts. It is unnecessary to spin the dart purposefully to overcome equipment issues.

OTOH, it looks like a lot fewer players start playing that way, so there should be proportionally fewer spinners on the PDC tour, but there seems to be more spinners on the tour than in the general public.    It looks like spinners may be more successful.

But here is the kicker.... just spinning the dart won't necessarily make you any more talented.  

Which means a natural spin may be a sign of talent, but not necessarily a manufactured one.  Heck if spinning was the road to great darts, everyone would be doing it by now.

If you find it more natural for you, then continue.  What's the harm? It's your throw!
That's better than you spinning! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Agree that excessive spinning as you are preparing to throw could lead to problems. I know one of the Japanese players does rotate his dart into position as he brings his throwing hand up, but then it is locked into position.

My darts spin just a bit on the throw (and it seems a number of the Pro's do as well) and I am throwing relatively well with little fishtailing, so it seems that it has added a bit of stability.

Having said that, if it is working for you it might be a natural part of your unique throwing style. It just seems that the constant spinning as you prepare to throw might add another variable that can result in inconsistency.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I am going to go out on a limb and say that most dart players that read this have some sort of rotation in the dart as it reaches the board ,,,,,It is built in to the nature of our body make up ,,,righty's vs lefty's,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Just like you may try to take the spin out of your darts,,, I would venture to say you cannot eliminate it 100%,,,,,so just let them fly and don't worry about spin,,, it will naturally take care of itself,,,,,,,,Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Adrian Lewis rolls the dart.... just do what feels comfortable and practice a lot.

If it comes to you naturally then I think its fine, but if you try to make it a deliberate action I don't think its such a good idea. I seem to do it naturally but I often try not to as I think it slows the speed of my dart and tends to make it droop through the air.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-26-2016, 04:53 PM)Getagrip Wrote: If it comes to you naturally then I think its fine, but if you try to make it a deliberate action I don't think its such a good idea.  I seem to do it naturally but I often try not to as I think it slows the speed of my dart and tends to make it droop through the air.

I roll mine a bit too, and my darts come off spinning, I can't throw a dart without spin... it's just what I do... I didn't even notice I did it until somebody told me.

On the other side, my darts definitely do not droop in the air, they go pretty much flat like a rocket.