Shot Darts

Point that elbow!
As I continue to work through my issues with the dreaded 26 (left to right scatter) something occurred to me this weekend.  Sort of a lightbulb over my head or an "Ah-Hah!" moment if you will. 

I have a huge problem with keeping my elbow from rotating to the outside.  This caused me to move my throwing had to the left and then finish to the right.  In fact, my fingers would point right instead of at the target. 

I was watching Andy Fordham throw and tried to incorporate a few things. I have pretty long arms (I am 6'3") and if I start with my forearm verticals, I found that my elbow was pointing down.  By starting with the dart closer to my face I found that it brought my elbow up and pointing more towards the target.  This allows me to keep my upper arm far more stable and pointing at the board with 95% of the movement now coming from my lower arm and hand.  Shorter back stroke but great results on both boards tonight, especially considering that the treble is very elusive for me. Just curious if others have had the same experience?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

I've wrestled with this issue too. Often times I'll be pointed correctly but my elbow does this strange twist. My darts go straight but my follow through ends up pointing off to the left of the D11. I've watched myself in slow mo and have corrected it a little....but it's still difficult.

I think pointing your elbow AND shoulder are two very important tips for beginners. It basically lines up your whole arm. I've worked with a few people that would throw with their shoulders angled and soon as they had them pointing straight, the darts were significantly more accurate.

Watch someone like MVG....he's one of the best example of everything being perfectly lined up....head/shoulder/elbow, etc.. He draws back to his lip and just fires a straight shot at the board with little or non-existent twisting motion. It's like his shoulder/elbow has some type of invisible brace that keeps everything perfectly straight. He could throw darts through a narrow vertical slot in front of him and never touch the sides.

I actually tried to correct my arm twisting by putting a ladder off to the side. If I kept my arm straight during the whole throw, my arm would just move sideways past the ladder without issue....I tried to keep my arm going straight through the throw/follow through. Ended up with some bruised knuckles from banging into the ladder so much. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. lol

Overall, the single biggest thing that has helped was forcing to throw with my elbow in a higher position. It felt strange at first but now feels comfortable. I'll sometimes slip and throw from a lower elbow and my arm will do that strange twist.

You watch players like MVG and they actually throw with their elbows quite high....he just angles his whole body downward (front shoulder lower than rear) so his elbow doesn't look that high...but it really is.
One last thing, have you tried the string trick?
Take a piece of yarn/thin rope and take it above the board. Then pull it down so it cuts the 20/bull/3 directly down the center and tack it again at the bottom.

Try to visualize guiding your arm along the string while throwing. Almost like your holding a laser pointer and your goal is to swing the pointer down and keep the red dot following that string all the way down. It's a great reference point for forcing yourself to develop a straight follow through.
I was literally just thinking the same thing the other day. Been trying it out myself and it definitely helps
To quote the great John Part:

Quote:The elbow should be extended fully towards the target. Really extend and stretch the elbow out. It may feel unnatural at first, but it is an excellent habit to develop. When the elbow is fully extended, the shoulder is by default, pulled in under the chin.  Now the dart should be brought back to the dominant eye (or between the eyes). At this point your arm has effectively become a catapult and all that remains is to move your arm forward and release the dart.
I know what you mean, I tried to sort it out for me too, I did manage to get my elbow and then arm more in line with my target but it cause a pain in my shoulder so I don't try it anymore so I have had to kind of work out where the right line is so that I can get the dart straight but its very dependent on me releasing it at a certain point and making sure I try to follow through properly, I don't always get it right but its improved a lot since I have worked on body position too.

I kind of lean a little to the right from the left of centre and it helps bring a better line, I don't know it will be the same for others as I think my shoulder is slightly mis-aligned since I injured it so I have to work on ways to compensate.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Part also says that the dart goes "over top" of the elbow.  That's a good image as well.
There are so many things wrong with my elbow,wrist and hand that I'm lucky if I can get anything in line for a moment or two. I have tried to correct alignment but have since realized I have to work with what I've got. So the only thing that works for me is making sure every part of my throw stays as loose as possible( everything tends to tighten up and drag the throw low and to the right) now I have one thought as I throw....put the dart in the hole!
Match Darts:
Barney Phase5 25g
Best Leg 15 darts 501
Highest Checkout 145
Favourite double 16
I'm only here for the reviews.

My shoulders pretty f*cked too. Constantly grinds and clicks. Hurts like a b*tch if I play too long too
(01-25-2016, 05:23 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I know what you mean, I tried to sort it out for me too, I did manage to get my elbow and then arm more in line with my target but it cause a pain in my shoulder so I don't try it anymore so I have had to kind of work out where the right line is so that I can get the dart straight but its very dependent on me releasing it at a certain point and making sure I try to follow through properly, I don't always get it right but its improved a lot since I have worked on body position too.  

I kind of lean a little to the right from the left of centre and it helps bring a better line, I don't know it will be the same for others as I think my shoulder is slightly mis-aligned since I injured it so I have to work on ways to compensate.

Similar problem here.  Think it is caused by fracturing my arm twice when young.  If I try and line my arm up completely straight I get a pain from my elbow up to my shoulder.  So I try and get a comfortable angle and try to keep it consistent.

Maybe there is an exercise to remedy this?
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

(01-25-2016, 05:18 PM)Gada Wrote: To quote the great John Part:

Quote:The elbow should be extended fully towards the target. Really extend and stretch the elbow out. It may feel unnatural at first, but it is an excellent habit to develop. When the elbow is fully extended, the shoulder is by default, pulled in under the chin.  Now the dart should be brought back to the dominant eye (or between the eyes). At this point your arm has effectively become a catapult and all that remains is to move your arm forward and release the dart.

Thanks for posting this. I have the "loose" elbow issue too. I think this coaching may be the change to address - can't wait to try it out later today.
(01-25-2016, 07:17 PM)Woody Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 05:18 PM)Gada Wrote: To quote the great John Part:

Thanks for posting this. I have the "loose" elbow issue too. I think this coaching may be the change to address - can't wait to try it out later today.

Ok, gave this a shot and man was it uncomfortable feeling. Actually hard to get that elbow up. Gonna work it more because it makes sense
As Part says, you want the exact same extension every time so you can learn about release timing.  Vary stroke length and you are hosed.
So, at practice last night I noticed that I was drifting a bit even with the elbow pointed. Back to basics I went and made sure that I was able to see out of my peripheral vision the dart at full draw and followed my line of sight towards the target on the throw. Things straightened right out.

In fact, I did the A1 drill (and I admit that I am not doing it as often as I should) which can take me 20+ rounds to complete and did it in 11. For me, another dramatic improvement. Also played a quick game of cricket and closed 20, 18, 16 and 15 with trebles. Not bad for only playing six months or so (at least for me). Now to grind away to lock in the muscle memory.
Target Taylor 9 zero soft and steel tip 

Boards: Gladiator 2 with Target Vision lighting system and Gran Board 2 soft tip with Target Corona lighting system. 

(01-25-2016, 06:03 PM)jc14 Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 05:23 PM)Getagrip Wrote: I know what you mean, I tried to sort it out for me too, I did manage to get my elbow and then arm more in line with my target but it cause a pain in my shoulder so I don't try it anymore so I have had to kind of work out where the right line is so that I can get the dart straight but its very dependent on me releasing it at a certain point and making sure I try to follow through properly, I don't always get it right but its improved a lot since I have worked on body position too.  

Similar problem here.  Think it is caused by fracturing my arm twice when young.  If I try and line my arm up completely straight I get a pain from my elbow up to my shoulder.  So I try and get a comfortable angle and try to keep it consistent.

Maybe there is an exercise to remedy this?

Might be something that can help like some kind of physio or stretching routine?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.