Darts Buddy

Teflon Tape For Nylon Shaft Threads
Regular nylon shafts aren't designed for o-rings, but depending on how well a barrel is tapped they often need frequent tightening.  Yesterday I thought of trying Teflon tape which worked out quite well.

Teflon tape is called by a few names so here is Wikipedia's definition:
"Thread seal tape (also known as PTFE tape or plumber's tape) is a polytetrafluroethylene (PTFE) film for use in sealing pipe threads. The tape is sold cut to specific widths and wound on a spool, making it easy to wind around pipe threads. It is also known by the genericised trade-name Teflon tape; while Teflon is in fact identical to PTFE, DuPont (the trade-mark holders) consider this usage incorrect, especially as they no longer manufacture Teflon in tape form. Thread seal tape lubricates allowing for a deeper seating of the threads, and it helps prevent the threads from seizing when being unscrewed. The tape also works as a deformable filler and thread lubricant, helping to seal the joint without hardening or making it more difficult to tighten, and instead making it easier to tighten."

The great thing about this tape is that it is quite thin and you can wrap on as many layers as needed to make the shaft thread a snug fit in the barrel.

It's cheap and is available from any hardware retailer.

Once I break a shaft off, I'll let you know just how hard it is to remove the remaining threads.
Juniper Terrace Soft-Tip Darts - Possibly the first and only soft-tip darts group in Atlantic Canada!
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Soft-Tip: 18g McCoy
Steel-Tip: 18g Crusader
with conversion points
You can also use plastic wraps then remove the excess.
Much the same can be achieved by cutting a narrow strip of plastic bag or cling film& wrapping the threads in the same way
Yeah its a great tip and know a few that have done it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I usually use teflon tape with nylon stems. HOWEVER… mid-match, I recently had a nylon stem break off flush,* and the tape worked TOO well -- made the remains of the stem impossible to get out, even with a little brass stem-remover tool. I was able to get it out later on by heating a jewelers' screwdriver and jamming it into the stem, but what a headache!

Moral of the story being: there's such a thing as too much tape. Go easy.

* Also bear in mind that these were colored stems, which are more brittle than unpigmented. They were orange -- bought from Milky on eBay! -- and I had broken them out for Halloween. Nothing quite like re-learning a lesson you thought you already knew. I've never had an unpigmented nylon stem snap off like that.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Brent i thought those were Tuflon stems that you were using. Lol. The black stems with red tops. I bought some sets at Voks. They still have them.

PS: Guess who's playing at Div B at SCDA league!
Brent, by unpigmented am I correct in assuming that that means black stems?
Juniper Terrace Soft-Tip Darts - Possibly the first and only soft-tip darts group in Atlantic Canada!
with conversion points
(01-26-2016, 01:47 PM)Scorpion Wrote: Brent, by unpigmented am I correct in assuming that that means black stems?

I understood him to mean the natural (off white) stems
(01-25-2016, 05:13 PM)majeek Wrote: Brent i thought those were Tuflon stems that you were using. Lol. The black stems with red tops. I bought some sets at Voks. They still have them.

PS: Guess who's playing at Div B at SCDA league!

I think these over this side of the pond are Trulon brand if the one you are refering to are the same the last lot I had were very brittle & the red replaceable tops kept falling out seem to have more or less disappeared from sales listings
(01-26-2016, 03:55 PM)Little al Wrote:
(01-26-2016, 01:47 PM)Scorpion Wrote: Brent, by unpigmented am I correct in assuming that that means black stems?

I understood him to mean the natural (off white) stems

Yes, the natural off-white.  Compare the stiffness/bendability of those and some colored ones and you'll see what I mean.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

I wonder if the same holds true for the bendability of natural white nylon soft-tip tips. Many come in various colours and most usually in natural white and/or black.
with conversion points
Instead of o-rings..i use teflon tape on conversion tips...
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I use thread locking fluid, which behaves like teflon and is easier to apply. It is also more economical as a tube will last you for a decade. USE THE BLUE ONE NOT THE RED ONE!

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Fred

DODB: 31/12/14

Have darts, will travel!
(Western Alberta/ Edmonton Area)
I use loctite sometimes.
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mending nylon shafts. woodmagnet 9 721 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM