Double Top Darts.

Flicking darts
I have noticed that I'm flicking my darts out of my hand, making me quite inconsistent. Anyone know a way of stopping this?
practice your follow through, sounds like you are doing what I used to do and kind of throw in a stabbing motion I think thats what gave me wrist problems in the end.

Practise moving your forearm like a pendulum without a dart so you have an idea of the movement, then do the same throwing the dart but dont care where it hits, your just learning the movement while throwing the dart but make it a smooth complete move dont stutter or stab with it.

When your happy with that then work on your release point and try to release at same point each time and carry on after release with a smooth follow through, takes practice really Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Getagrip summed up just about everything.

Any chance we can get a pic of your grip? Is this a new habit or something you've always done? Sometimes it can be a finger getting in the way on release and your other fingers overcompensate by trying to flick/push past that one finger so it doesn't catch.

One last thing. Try standing a few feet back behind the oche line and throw at the board. You may have to move closer or farther. The whole goal is force you into a follow through. By moving back a little, it tricks your mind into extending your throwing arm farther out to get that extra power to reach the board. I used to do it with very light darts...if I didn't extend my arm out, the darts would fall short.
(01-25-2016, 10:49 AM)Getagrip Wrote: practice your follow through, sounds like you are doing what I used to do and kind of throw in a stabbing motion I think thats what gave me wrist problems in the end.

Practise moving your forearm like a pendulum without a dart so you have an idea of the movement, then do the same throwing the dart but dont care where it hits, your just learning the movement while throwing the dart but make it a smooth complete move dont stutter or stab with it.

When your happy with that then work on your release point and try to release at same point each time and carry on after release with a smooth follow through, takes practice really Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I'm still a beginner myself but I had the same problem a month ago.

I found when I tried focusing on the follow through, my throw got "worse".

HOWEVER I stuck with it. On hindsight, why it got worse is that I was learning a slightly new way of throwing so was almost starting again. So my "throw" wasn't weaker, it was my short-term results.. 2 weeks into it, the throw got better and I started hitting my first 100's/140's in matchplay. (I've only played seriously for 7-8 weeks to put things into perspective).

So yeah, as a beginner myself I strongly agree with all the above with the added point your results might slide briefly. But persevere.
(01-25-2016, 08:12 PM)Paul Blair Wrote:
(01-25-2016, 10:49 AM)Getagrip Wrote: practice your follow through, sounds like you are doing what I used to do and kind of throw in a stabbing motion I think thats what gave me wrist problems in the end.

HOWEVER I stuck with it. On hindsight, why it got worse is that I was learning a slightly new way of throwing so was almost starting again. So my "throw" wasn't weaker, it was my short-term results.. 2 weeks into it, the throw got better and I started hitting my first 100's/140's in matchplay. (I've only played seriously for 7-8 weeks to put things into perspective).

So yeah, as a beginner myself I strongly agree with all the above with the added point your results might slide briefly. But persevere.

Exactly the same, would adjust throw and then end up completely different. I'll try all of these, cheers guys!
(01-25-2016, 08:12 PM)Paul Blair Wrote:

I'm glad you worked through this phase.... some people confuse throwing properly with good results on the dart board.  They make a change, like follow through, give it all of 3 or 6 darts.  If they see a good shot, they think it is right.  If they see 6 poor darts, they think the change is bad, even though every pro on the PDC tour follows through....
Throw at tops and after it lead your arm down to 3
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Or learn to make it work....

Watch Stephen Bunting's throwing action....

Try slowing down your throw concentrating on the end of your throw and don't overanalyze your throw. That's the worst thing a dart player can do imo.
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dart ‘flicking’ out of hand Ed180 5 455 12-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Ed180