Shot Darts

When to enter tournaments?
Hi all,

A question regarding tournaments.

Let's say for argument sake there are three level of tournaments (excluding the PDC based stuff): - 

1) Local Tournaments
2) Larger non-BDO tournaments
3) BDO Opens.

If the goal is to get better and to eventually reach tournament level 3 standard rather than any tournament win importance....

When is too early at each level? Is there a "too early"? I come from a chess world where we are always told to play the best players possible. The better the player, the better habits you develop. People that enter the lowest level of tournament (the Minor) can languish down there forever.

Does that apply in darts?

Cheers

Paul
Same principle applies Paul.

What you are doing here is trying to get that unique experience that will boost your confidence such that anything you encounter that is lesser than that will just be easy to handle.
(01-24-2016, 01:28 AM)Paul Blair Wrote: Hi all,

A question regarding tournaments.

Let's say for argument sake there are three level of tournaments (excluding the PDC based stuff): - 

1) Local Tournaments
2) Larger non-BDO tournaments
3) BDO Opens.

If the goal is to get better and to eventually reach tournament level 3 standard rather than any tournament win importance....

When is too early at each level? Is there a "too early"? I come from a chess world where we are always told to play the best players possible. The better the player, the better habits you develop. People that enter the lowest level of tournament (the Minor) can languish down there forever.

Does that apply in darts?

Cheers

Paul
I guess it's trying out to see the level you're at. I started in a level 2 comp after a long lay off, as it was local to where i live, thinking as I was making up the numbers I would get a battering, as I imagined the opponents would be at a higher skill level than I was, much to my surprise from 128 entrants  l got to the  last 16 losing that on the last leg. My suggestion would be go & spectate at a comp you think is at or slightly higher than your  level  & see whats required to do OK. then enter a comp & go from there. Again don't go to far above your capabilities or a never ending losing streak will get you disillusioned,You need a few match wins to aid your confidence Best of Luck, & as said  "You have to be in it to win it."
I think if you feel ready then you just go for it
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Chess is different.  Chess is about mental prowess and game knowledge.  As was suggested, darts has a HUGE confidence component.

If you enter a small local tournament, you will know immediately if that level is competitive enough for you.  It does not take much to see that.  If there is a medium sized tournament coming up in your area first, there is no harm in entering that as well. At least you will have first hand experience regarding what that is like.

Nothing beats experience.
I say if that's your goal jump right in the deep end and go for it.
Match Darts: Target Carrera C3 25g
Shafts: L-style carbon locked
Flights: L-style champagne shape C3 dimple

High in: 160 Matchplay / High out: 170 Matchplay
I've always been a very strong proponent of finding, and playing, the best players you can possibly play against.   Nothing is gained by playing people you have no trouble beating and all that does is develop a lax attitude as you take your play for granted, often leading to bad habits.

Personally, I jumped into local blind draw tournaments when I got comfortable with my ability to compete on a decent level.   At first I had mixed results, but as I played in more and more of them I got better as I became more relaxed in the situation.   Of course Blind Draws can be an "up in the air" thing depending on who you draw for a partner.

I say go for it as soon as you feel like you have the desire to compete in that level.   It is all a learning process, and sometimes the curve is gentle, and sometimes it's filled with potholes, but either way you'll likely come out a better player.
When you feel comfortable, never to early it's all experience
(04-03-2016, 08:47 AM)TNSIN Wrote: I say if that's your goal jump right in the deep end and go for it.

Definitely.

Go to tournaments, volunteer to chalk games... Play games on the side. Rub shoulders and mingle. If your goal is to participate in these regularly, why not start right away?

Go into them with no expectations. Who knows, you may surprise yourself.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I would enter as soon as possible. If you get beat really bad it could be the motivation you need to practice more. If you do okay same thing. If you do really well then you know where you are.
I agree with the others and think you should have a go.

You'll learn not only about your opponents but about the setup of the event. When to turn up... How to best warm up... How to stay warmed up... Etc... Etc...

If you think of it as spending the entry fee for the experience and the fun of competing then it's money well spent.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
When YOU feel ready, simple

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What happens with me in tournaments? Skywalker 9 756 10-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Last Post: Banz
  Running Tournaments guest2 14 2,662 05-23-2014, 05:05 AM
Last Post: Milkysunshine