Harrows Darts.

Merv King Bamboo Holiday Romance
While on holiday I discovered a bricks and mortar darts shop where you could try out the darts. The other day I threw Carrera C6 and Hankey 14g. I didn't think anything would top the Hankeys but today I threw the bamboo style Winmau Merv Kings.

Well, the scallops didn't quite match where my fingers naturally fell but needed only a slight change to sit right. Once I got it it was like a dream. A bit inconsistent but 5 140's in 15 minutes was a much better than average return. They just get right, and the scallops ensure a consistent grip.

I'm committed to my current set so didn't buy them but I can't imagine I'll be able to resist their charges indefinitely.

Anyone got a set who'd like to comment on how they get along one the honeymoon is over?

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
I tried them and a few of the penetrators as well. As much as I liked them there was never enough grip for me. In theory a scallop dart should be great as you hold them in the same place every time. But I get the impression a lot try them and move on. I have not seen anyone here that uses them as their go to dart but I could be wrong on that.

There is also a nice bit of a difference between the 22 and 24g as the heavier one is longer and the scallops are bigger.
If you like a dart with a medium or low grip they could be a runner though.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

I found them to be surprisingly comfortable to throw but I think it does depend on where your grip sits if its ok in the scallops then its very good Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I threw the datadart ones really well and the 24g winmau silver ones
Thanks for the info everyone.

Interesting about the difference between 22g and 24g. The ones I threw had no weight on the packaging so I'm not sure what they were. I normally throw 22g but don't have enough experience to spot the difference. If they were the 24s then the 22s may still be a good fit as I have small hands.

I have to say I'll probably end up getting a set the next time I'm in the area. They're an iconic dart so happy to have it as a keeper, even if it never becomes my daily throw.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
I have Datadart version with microgrips, and 2 Black MKs which I both "nicked" from Spartan. All 22g.

I am a rear gripper. MK darts works perfect if you know where to place those fingers and if you throw it like you're "slinging" it. With extra long points, it does wonders to me. The only thing - after an hour long session with it, I find it hard to adopt to my straight barrels. Lol!

MK's darts are magical!
I bought the black ones to try, they feel look and great but the grooves are not where I would like them. 30 minutes and back in the box
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. 
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
"MK's darts are magical!"

If they truly were, he'd still be using them!  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I still use and enjoy my Mervyn King 24 gram Datadart version. I am a fan of scallop darts and switch back and forth between these and my Nodor NR-502's.

Jeff
I really like the look of the Winmau Mervyn King scalloped darts, same for The Whitlock darts but without being able to hold them ( no actual store near me) I have been very hesitant to pull the trigger. Afraid my grip might not fit in the scallops as designed.
Robert,
I say just buy them and try them and see if they fit your style. If not, you can just put them up for sale and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Jeff
(05-05-2020, 04:01 AM)Robert Burns Wrote: I really like the look of the Winmau Mervyn King scalloped darts, same for The Whitlock darts but without being able to hold them ( no actual store near me) I have been very hesitant to pull the trigger. Afraid my grip might not fit in the scallops as designed.

So, I must have a fever. LOL - I would actually offer to send you a couple different sets I have if you'd like to try them out. I would ask that you pay for the shipping...to you and BACK to me.

They're soft tip, but you'd get an idea if a scallop section would work for you. Adding the conversion point will add about one gram to the weights. I've got Simon Whitlock The Wizard Natural 20 grams, Winmau Snipers both 18 and 20 grams (different designs - 20 might be closer to what you're looking for), Winmau Vendetta Razor 18 grams, Winmau Vendetta Scallop 18 grams.

Another option might be the Harrows ICE Snow 18 gram...

One more thing to consider: Look at the difference between the Harrows ICE Snow model and the Alpine model. After making numerous purchases of darts with a scallop section, I came to realize I was more interested in models similar to the Alpine model because it's the "leading edge" of the scalloped section which I like. It allows me to have a consistent finger placement along with a part of the dart in order to propel the dart forward. The rear of the scallop is unnecessary (for me).

Anyway, it's a trust thing...let me know if you'd be interested in trying any of them out.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 60 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)
(05-06-2020, 03:08 AM)JAMSGOLF Wrote:
(05-05-2020, 04:01 AM)Robert Burns Wrote: I really like the look of the Winmau Mervyn King scalloped darts, same for The Whitlock darts but without being able to hold them ( no actual store near me) I have been very hesitant to pull the trigger. Afraid my grip might not fit in the scallops as designed.

So, I must have a fever. LOL - I would actually offer to send you a couple different sets I have if you'd like to try them out. I would ask that you pay for the shipping...to you and BACK to me.

They're soft tip, but you'd get an idea if a scallop section would work for you. Adding the conversion point will add about one gram to the weights. I've got Simon Whitlock The Wizard Natural 20 grams, Winmau Snipers both 18 and 20 grams (different designs - 20 might be closer to what you're looking for), Winmau Vendetta Razor 18 grams, Winmau Vendetta Scallop 18 grams.

One more thing to consider: Look at the difference between the Harrows ICE Snow model and the Alpine model. After making numerous purchases of darts with a scallop section, I came to realize I was more interested in models similar to the Alpine model because it's the "leading edge" of the scalloped section which I like. It allows me to have a consistent finger placement along with a part of the dart in order to propel the dart forward. The rear of the scallop is unnecessary (for me).

Anyway, it's a trust thing...let me know if you'd be interested in trying any of them out.   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thank you for the very kind offer JAMSGOLF, I would love to try them but I would be worried they might get lost or damaged in transit. I would like to tap into your experience if you wouldn’t mind. I am a middle gripper and one of my main concerns is it seems like scalloped darts are usually set up for a rear grip. It appears to me the Harrows ICE snow and the Winmau sniper favor a rear grip. I like the look of the Winmau Vendetta scallop and the Simon Whitlock which appear to be a little more of a middle grip.  I like the Harrows Alpine. When you reference the leading edge are you saying you grip the dart on the smooth section where the Harrows is printed or at the knuckle where the razor portion of the grip meets that section? Have you thrown the Mervyn King dart and if so how would you compare the grip to the darts you mentioned, in particular the alpine? Sorry if I am hijacking this thread.
Also thanks for the advice Jcturbot you are probably right. They really are not very expensive and it is always fun to play around with a new set of darts!
(05-06-2020, 05:02 AM)Robert Burns Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 03:08 AM)JAMSGOLF Wrote:

Thank you for the very kind offer JAMSGOLF, I would love to try them but I would be worried they might get lost or damaged in transit. I would like to tap into your experience if you wouldn’t mind. I am a middle gripper and one of my main concerns is it seems like scalloped darts are usually set up for a rear grip. It appears to me the Harrows ICE snow and the Winmau sniper favor a rear grip. I like the look of the Winmau Vendetta scallop and the Simon Whitlock which appear to be a little more of a middle grip.  I like the Harrows Alpine. When you reference the leading edge are you saying you grip the dart on the smooth section where the Harrows is printed or at the knuckle where the razor portion of the grip meets that section? Have you thrown the Mervyn King dart and if so how would you compare the grip to the darts you mentioned, in particular the alpine? Sorry if I am hijacking this thread.

We did kind of hijack the thread, but it was from 2016...

Due to the way I grip the dart, it's easy enough for me to switch from front-middle, to middle, to rear. I have a problem with extreme front gripping as it feels awkward, but I have tried it and can use it in a pinch. However, I do understand your concerns with being a middle gripper.

When I was referencing the "leading edge" I was talking about the concave shape of a scallop. Take the Mervyn Kings for example. There are three scalloped sections - front, middle, and rear. In each scalloped section there's the leading edge, the lowest section, and then the rear edge of the scallop. The lowest section is generally where you would be holding (i.e. gripping) the dart - presumably with your thumb and index finger. The rear edge of the scallop literally does nothing. The leading edge of the scallop is what your thumb and index finger CAN be used to propel the dart, much like any type of grip in the dart (e.g. shark grip or micro grip) is used to propel the dart forward.

If you're not using the leading edge to propel the dart, and only using it for a reference point for finger placement, then my concept still rings true. The rear edge of the scallop is pointless in that regard, since the leading edge can used for the reference point.

My point was, after I had realized the rear edge of the scallop does nothing, I started looking at darts which had a "leading edge" of a scallop, and a "lower section" of a scallop, but no rear section. That's where the Alpine came into play. Yes, it has grips built in, but there is a "leading edge" of a scallop, a lower section of a scallop, but no rear section to a scallop. A dart like this gives me the reference point I was looking for with a scalloped dart. Essentially, the Alpine creates 2/3 of a scallop (in my opinion...)

I realize I personally no longer need a "scallop" section necessarily, but rather a "reference point" so I know I'm gripping the dart in the same exact spot (without looking) each and every time.

Here is where I grip the Alpine:

EDIT - SEE MY NEXT POST FOR EXAMPLE OF A "SCALLOP" CREATED WITH THE ALPINE
Jason S - Middle of USA - South Dakota
Darts: Over 60 sets - Currently Using Whichever One Feels Right
Board: Target Nexus / One80 Gladiator III
Highest Out: 170
Best Leg: 12 Darts (Many shots at a 10 darter - Arghhh)
2020 Maximums: Goal set at 200 - Goal of 200 reached on 3/29/20 - Should've set higher goal.  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Favorite Quotes:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela
"Life becomes easier when you learn to accept the apology you never got." - Robert Brault (Told to me by someone who never knew how much I needed to hear it.)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mervyn King Onyx copy? thurgood107 6 394 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM
Last Post: Zero
  New Mervyn King Darts Red'75™ 7 1,667 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM
Last Post: NvG55
Star King back to new darts Fred-180 7 1,025 12-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Last Post: Fred-180