Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Time Efficient Practice? Then "D P"
Lightbulb 
Most of you know I am a firm believer in having a great practice regime and love around the clock in Doubles. Sometimes though I find I'm very pushed for time and what I did was shorten the whole routine and simply do this little twist instead. Starting at D1 then go T2 ....D3 ...T4 ...D5 etc too easy aint it ?   Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I have found it a very time efficient method of covering both Double and Trebles when desperately short on time. Of course you could start on T1 instead, I find it challenging and enjoyable.

N.B. If you are an absolute beginner you may want to do say 1-10 or a 11 - 20 and work your way up to a full round, don't concern yourself too much about time and number of darts at this stage but in time keep some records to gauge your progress Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

D.P?

Contrary to popular belief .... Practice Does Not Makes Perfect

However  D P  goes a hell of a long way, as confirmed by recent scientific research which also states "Talent is overrated but what is D.P?

Those Nutz 'in the know' should be able to answer this easily...... those who don't know should first try to Google or simply start your own research after first looking at these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nxAuynoTUk

and this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBCA_5e1Pg

I'd be interested in your feedback  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  

By the way this is not new DP and Darts has been written about before. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

Very interesting and seems that I've known that "DP" isn't fun other than the results. It does take time and effort to get good at anything we want to excel at. I think there are very few musicians that have picked up an instrument and sat on any orchestra without "DP" for years.............

I think your practice routine looks pretty good. Timing it can be good as well. I can tell you that 5 - 10 minutes won't cut it for me. This routine might take me 2 hours. But nothing gained without work
(01-16-2016, 02:16 AM)SlingBlade Wrote: Very interesting and seems that I've known that "DP" isn't fun other than the results. It does take time and effort to get good at anything we want to excel at. I think there are very few musicians that have picked up an instrument and sat on any orchestra without "DP" for years.............

I think your practice routine looks pretty good. Timing it can be good as well. I can tell you that 5 - 10 minutes won't cut it for me. This routine might take me 2 hours. But nothing gained without work

Thank you Slingblade you're right the title made me sound a bit of a smarty....which I'm definitely not  so I've changed it.

Regards
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(Mission "KURO" M4 rear taper design- 23GmYellow Kite Shape Flights 100 micron & Solid Brass Stems)

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My father Merlin, once told me that "You should end up pointing to what you were aiming at when you've released the Dart."

I'm sure D.P. makes a great difference and it will make you the best you can be but we cant expect that alone to make us "the best", that I still believe takes an inbuilt natural ability.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Of which I'm coming to terms with not having and no amount of practice will ever gain me the results I so want
I haven't heard of this before, but I watched the videos and it makes good sense.  I would like to really understand and improve my mechanics and wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how I might go about that.  So far, I have been using Flight School A1 as the foundation of my practice, and it seems to be helping.
Levonster, Out
(01-18-2016, 08:22 AM)Levonster Wrote: I haven't heard of this before, but I watched the videos and it makes good sense.  I would like to really understand and improve my mechanics and wondering if anyone has some suggestions on how I might go about that.  So far, I have been using Flight School A1 as the foundation of my practice, and it seems to be helping.

One great suggestion I got here was to video my throw. How your throw feels and how out looks are probably a bit
different.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Thank you Banz, That is a great suggestion,  going to ask around my league and see who can help out wjth this.  I suspect the video on my phone won't be much help.
Levonster, Out
Thank you Banz, That is a great suggestion, going to ask around my league and see who can help out wjth this. I suspect the video on my phone won't be much help.
Levonster, Out
(01-18-2016, 04:31 PM)Levonster Wrote: Thank you Banz, That is a great suggestion,  going to ask around my league and see who can help out wjth this.  I suspect the video on my phone won't be much help.

I used the slo motion feature in my Samsung S-6.  It works well enough to capture the big details.  Not so good at seeing what your hand is doing, but *way* better than nothing.

Dorian,

Yes, I am a big believer in this.  It is what I use, and has opened the door to much more interesting though more difficult things to consciously practice.  ( "The talent code" is another stab at this)  It started for me with "detect and correct" sessions, then the concept of "chunking" works.

Chunking is breaking down the physical movements/elements of the exercise into the smallest possible parts.  So, a dart throw may be chunked into two sections: back and forward.  Elements within the chunk can be studied and practiced as well,  though not so much in isolation.  eg. wrist movement back/forth.  End position of follow through can be examined and practiced.

The only mirror you have for this are the slow motion throws on Youtube, vs the slow motion videos you take yourself.  Through study of the throw of the pros, you can determine what core movements are present in all throws.  Those would form the basis of practice. Secondary movements that support the core movements can also be studied.  eg. stance.

Same can be done with mental game, that is really hard, but the benefits here are immense.

Studies have shown that imagining stressful situations while practicing can help you deal with the stressful situation in real life.  That's true for many things... debating, public speaking, job interviews, game shots.....

Trouble is that people start D.P. and once they see how hard it really is, they give up.  To do D.P. you also have to learn how to do D.P. which has it's own learning curve.  D.P. is REALLY HARD.  But it is worth every bit of effort. 

It can take MONTHS of effort to get it. Bear in mind: there is no magic bullet. You will still have to put in hours and hours of effort.  But, it is hours and hours of directed effort that is known to produce results.  I cannot put a certifiable increase in performance vs playing games, but I could guess that it would be around an order of magnitude greater.... so 6 minutes of D.P. could be worth an hour or more of playing 501 against someone else... once you learn how to practice deliberately.

Look at Adrian Lewis.  He has stated publicly that he is now throwing more deliberately and the result throws more 11-12 dart games.  Of course, he has to practice throwing deliberately to do it onstage, so I would off him as an example of D.P. in action.  He has improved a LOT.
(01-18-2016, 08:48 PM)BigE Wrote:
(01-18-2016, 04:31 PM)Levonster Wrote: Thank you Banz, That is a great suggestion,  going to ask around my league and see who can help out wjth this.  I suspect the video on my phone won't be much help.

I used the slo motion feature in my Samsung S-6.  It works well enough to capture the big details.  Not so good at seeing what your hand is doing, but *way* better than nothing.

Dorian,

Yes, I am a big believer in this.  It is what I use, and has opened the door to much more interesting though more difficult things to consciously practice.  ( "The talent code" is another stab at this)  It started for me with "detect and correct" sessions, then the concept of "chunking" works.

Chunking is breaking down the physical movements/elements of the exercise into the smallest possible parts.  So, a dart throw may be chunked into two sections: back and forward.  Elements within the chunk can be studied and practiced as well,  though not so much in isolation.  eg. wrist movement back/forth.  End position of follow through can be examined and practiced.

The only mirror you have for this are the slow motion throws on Youtube, vs the slow motion videos you take yourself.  Through study of the throw of the pros, you can determine what core movements are present in all throws.  Those would form the basis of practice. Secondary movements that support the core movements can also be studied.  eg. stance.

Same can be done with mental game, that is really hard, but the benefits here are immense.

Studies have shown that imagining stressful situations while practicing can help you deal with the stressful situation in real life.  That's true for many things... debating, public speaking, job interviews, game shots.....

Trouble is that people start D.P. and once they see how hard it really is, they give up.  To do D.P. you also have to learn how to do D.P. which has it's own learning curve.  D.P. is REALLY HARD.  But it is worth every bit of effort. 

It can take MONTHS of effort to get it. Bear in mind: there is no magic bullet. You will still have to put in hours and hours of effort.  But, it is hours and hours of directed effort that is known to produce results.  I cannot put a certifiable increase in performance vs playing games, but I could guess that it would be around an order of magnitude greater.... so 6 minutes of D.P. could be worth an hour or more of playing 501 against someone else... once you learn how to practice deliberately.

Look at Adrian Lewis.  He has stated publicly that he is now throwing more deliberately and the result throws more 11-12 dart games.  Of course, he has to practice throwing deliberately to do it onstage, so I would off him as an example of D.P. in action.  He has improved a LOT.
 Thanks for a great post I appreciate it very much, the reason I wrote about it here was due to the amount of Nutz who mistakenly believe to get better you have to 'just practice' and when they don't improve..... they either give up, change darts, or get fed up and practice more.

Or accept that darts is one of those sports that necessitate that you must have a natural talent for the game that you're born with and that's that.

Hopefully members will do their own research on the topic and see that this is simply not the case and try it out.

Best regards

Dorian
Dorian
Son of Merlin

Caerleon - Wales

(01-16-2016, 11:28 AM)Getagrip Wrote: I'm sure D.P. makes a great difference and it will make you the best you can be but we cant expect that alone to make us "the best", that I still believe takes an inbuilt natural ability.

Then how do you know if you have the inborn natural ability unless you take the time to go through the DP?

If you presume that you don't have the natural ability, well you may as well be right, but you are cheating yourself.

If you have a passion why not follow it?  Don't self impose a limit and don't let others do it to you either.

Having an easy/early aptitude toward something means nothing.  It's all about the work. It's all about the focus. It is all about paying the price. 

Does that mean that you can become Phil Taylor?  I don't know. maybe.  I would bet that for sure you could become a lot better than you think you are capable of being.
Inborn ability is easy to determine.  Basically, it is a  meteoric rise or huge ability with very very little effort.   eg. Gary Anderson threw 140,180,140 the very first 9 darts he ever threw.  You don't need to do D.P. to tell.
(01-19-2016, 03:37 AM)BigE Wrote: Inborn ability is easy to determine.  Basically, it is a  meteoric rise or huge ability with very very little effort.   eg. Gary Anderson threw 140,180,140 the very first 9 darts he ever threw.  You don't need to do D.P. to tell.

yeah sure, and they spotted Gretzky pretty early too.  Seems like a bit of an exceptional example. I think most,even if they show a knack don't get there unless they work at it, and some take longer to develop than others.

Either way it is wrong to say "Oh I'm just not good enough anyway" or 'If I don't dream I wont get disappointed" 

Who cares if in the end you don't get to X level.  Just get to better than what everyone thought you could be.  :-)
(01-19-2016, 04:33 AM)davidsproull Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 03:37 AM)BigE Wrote: Inborn ability is easy to determine.  Basically, it is a  meteoric rise or huge ability with very very little effort.   eg. Gary Anderson threw 140,180,140 the very first 9 darts he ever threw.  You don't need to do D.P. to tell.

yeah sure, and they spotted Gretzky pretty early too.  Seems like a bit of an exceptional example. I think most,even if they show a knack don't get there unless they work at it, and some take longer to develop than others.

Either way it is wrong to say "Oh I'm just not good enough anyway" or 'If I don't dream I wont get disappointed" 

Who cares if in the end you don't get to X level.  Just get to better than what everyone thought you could be.  :-)

You're right about talent, even Gary Anderson played for a county team first, and those that have a knack still work hard to bring their game to a competitive level.

Don't forget though, that some people don't want to invest huge amounts of time at practice for whatever reason.  Previous injury, preference of playing social darts, time commitments, whatever....  I suspect my practice will go down a lot if I ever find another job....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best practice time - morning, afternoon or evening? SpoonyG 10 580 11-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Last Post: GreenDart180
  Practice time... Si "TheJoker" Anderton 16 1,712 12-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Banz
  Practice Duration (Continuous time) BigE 27 4,881 07-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Gada