Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Tridents
I've been using Tridents for a few months now, and while they do significantly increase the longevity of your flights,  I have noticed some truly bizarre behaviour.  With no other setup have I seen this happen, and it happens quite a bit.

I have noticed this: With a dart already in the board, a second dart can hit the flight of the first dart in such a way that the second dart is and literally launched 6-8 feet away from the board! As if the dart in the board is a spring board. 

To make things worse, it appears to me that the deflections with tridents *may* be worse than without. Without the trident I suspect that the following dart will damage the dart in the board and push its way through. With the trident, the dart in the board springs the follower into a neighbouring segment.

Perhaps switching to spring steel points will help decrease deflection distance?

Has anyone else noticed more deflection distance with a trident installed?

( I suppose that I could sacrifice a set of flights by taking a trident off a dart and seeing if that dart deflects as badly as the others....)
Nope - try storms.
(01-13-2016, 09:04 PM)BigE Wrote: I've been using Tridents for a few months now, and while they do significantly increase the longevity of your flights,  I have noticed some truly bizarre behaviour.  With no other setup have I seen this happen, and it happens quite a bit.

I have noticed this: With a dart already in the board, a second dart can hit the flight of the first dart in such a way that the second dart is and literally launched 6-8 feet away from the board! As if the dart in the board is a spring board. 

To make things worse, it appears to me that the deflections with tridents *may* be worse than without. Without the trident I suspent that the following dart will damage the dart in the board and push its way through. With the trident, the dart in the board springs the follower into a neighbouring segment.

Perhaps switching to spring steel points will help decrease deflection distance?

Has anyone else noticed more deflection distance with a trident installed?

( I suppose that I could sacrifice a set of flights by taking a trident off a dart and seeing if that dart deflects as badly as the others....)

Are those what I think they are?
(01-13-2016, 09:12 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Nope - try storms.

God, thousand times this.
(01-13-2016, 09:20 PM)Gada Wrote:
(01-13-2016, 09:12 PM)*Saber* Wrote: Nope - try storms.

God, thousand times this.

It is the same feathering from point to barrel with a Trident.  Why does it matter what material the transition from barrel to point is made from?

Cyanide, the spring steel points are the skinny ones where the dart vibrates in the board upon landing.  The notion is that the dart in the board will move a bit out of the way on contact thus absorbing the impact instead of the second dart bearing the entire deflective force.
I have thrown darts with spring points, admittedly it was an old vintage set and it hit a wire and sprung so far back I had to doge out the way of it.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question about Steel Points with Tridents User17736 30 663 08-04-2021, 03:26 PM
Last Post: User17736