Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

CONTINUE AND DEVELOP OR CHANGE MY STYLE?
I have to take a decission, I don't konow if I shoul continue developing my own technique or start from zero adopting a standard one.

I play a darts league since one year and I have improve since my firts match.   I play electronic dartboard  and my numbers at this moment are PPD=21.5 in 501 and MPR=2.2 in critket.

My actual style is three fingers + thumb grip taking the dart behind the center of gravity, aiming with my arm in an angle of 120º with the dart pointing down (I have read in dartbase.com that this aiming pointing down is not good) having the barrel-shaft cross as reference and with a stance with my right foot paralell to the wall.    I'm happy with my stance but I don't know with the rest.

Watching PDC darts games I have check that most of the players throw in a "regular" way similar in tghe base with little variations depending the player.    Differenjt grips but the top players during the aiming have the arm in an angle of less than 90º with the dart pointing up.    Well a month ago I discovered Gerwyn Price that is a player with a throw similar to mine but the rest of top players throw in a more standard style.

Now I hesitate between continue with my actual technique, practicing and improving or start from zero and try to adapt my style to a more standard throwing.    I don't know if I can improve enough with my style or I can reach a higer level starting from zero in a different throwing style.   If I have to change my style probably I'll leave the league until I have a solid throw.

If anybody can advise me I'll be very grateful, because I need to take a decission in order to reach a higer level.

Anyway if you have read untill here, THANK YOU!!
I applaud your desire and dedication to improve.

I am a player who changed many things with their game ... the road isnt easy and it's filled with doubt, success and self loathing. It's a never ending process. Many people think I am good but I am the final judge and jury.

I disagree that most of the top 16 have a more standard style but I wont go into it as I think that in your case you already have developed a natural style that is similar to an existing pro and I would delve more deeply into Gerwyn's throw ... find video .. pictures ... front/back/profile ... study it deeply ... make the changes (one at a time) of something that makes sense for your throw .. hone it and THEN Own it.

Good Luck Mate.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
We have Jocky and we have Suljovic and Russian guy in Pally
180-1(33)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

To improve is to learn and explore. So go ahead and proceed with fun!
Evidently you are experiencing true passion in what you do. There's nothing wrong - just proceed and try to go "beyond normal" as well. What I mean - don't stick to current standards - you can innovate or try something which is "unorthodox" as long as it is effective.
Thank you all, your contributions and opinions, have been very usefull and interested for me. And please if you have more advises I'm open for all your suggestions.

Yes, Suljovic throwing it's similar to mine too. So my style maybe is not the problem if at least two guys have arrived to pro level throwing in that way.

So I'll try to maintain my throwing making the little variations neccesary to develop and increase my level, such as sometimes I discover that my throw is quite staright meanwile other times is more parabolic. I need more consistency and repeatability and the only way is training and practising. Anyway the path is funny because you don't stop playing darts

I hope to be a good pub player one day.

Thank you again.
its fine to try new things, but be careful that you don't overdo it. you sound like you are a pretty decent player right now. changing things is fine, but it can also lead to some problems.

the same thing happened with me. I wasn't very good but I was ok for the amount of time I had been playing. but then I started seeing how the guys on tv threw and it made me want to throw like that because it looked so easy. so I started tinkering around with my throw. one of the things that happened to me is that I started throwing one way and it seemed to work out ok so I started to tweak it, and tweak it, and tweak it and before I knew it I had developed several bad habits. you change one thing to correct something else and that leads to something else that's needs correcting, then something else. so before I knew it I was even worse than I was to begin with and to make matters worse by then I couldn't even remember how or what I was doing before I started tinkering.

it worked out for me in the long run. I think im a much, much better and much more consistent player now. but it took a lot of time and trial and error with different darts and different shafts and different flights and standing in a different spot, etc. if you were gripping toward the front and you want to change to the back then chances are youll probably need to change some of your hardware.

my advice is this: tinker around a little bit but before you decide to completely abandon what you are doing now, get someone who knows what they are doing and let them watch you throw to see if perhaps they can point out any mechanical flaws. or video yourself and submit it here and let these guys do it. they love doing that! it may be something very minor that's easy to correct and you had no idea you were even doing it. but if you do decide to change I think its important that everything else is in good working order. elbow and head still, posture correct, stuff like that. if you start with bad habits to begin with then chances are you wont see any improvement no matter how you throw it.

MC
(01-13-2016, 11:02 AM)beerfoxx Wrote: I have to take a decission, I don't konow if I shoul continue developing my own technique or start from zero adopting a standard one.

I play a darts league since one year and I have improve since my firts match.   I play electronic dartboard  and my numbers at this moment are PPD=21.5 in 501 and MPR=2.2 in critket.

My actual style is three fingers + thumb grip taking the dart behind the center of gravity, aiming with my arm in an angle of 120º with the dart pointing down (I have read in dartbase.com that this aiming pointing down is not good) having the barrel-shaft cross as reference and with a stance with my right foot paralell to the wall.    I'm happy with my stance but I don't know with the rest.

Watching PDC darts games I have check that most of the players throw in a "regular" way similar in tghe base with little variations depending the player.    Differenjt grips but the top players during the aiming have the arm in an angle of less than 90º with the dart pointing up.    Well a month ago I discovered Gerwyn Price that is a player with a throw similar to mine but the rest of top players throw in a more standard style.

Now I hesitate between continue with my actual technique, practicing and improving or start from zero and try to adapt my style to a more standard throwing.    I don't know if I can improve enough with my style or I can reach a higer level starting from zero in a different throwing style.   If I have to change my style probably I'll leave the league until I have a solid throw.

If anybody can advise me I'll be very grateful, because I need to take a decission in order to reach a higer level.

Anyway if you have read untill here, THANK YOU!!

Reading your description of your stance sounds like a clone to mine, except i 'm only at like 30 degrees to the wall with my foot. works fine for me soft tip and i have about the same averages as you, but I'm probably going over to steel tip in the near future and thats when i'll really see the kinks in my release.
Darts: 18g softtip Monster Cobra 2BA, 260 LStyle Champagne Shafts, L3 Flights.
Other Darts: 18g softtip Monster Soldier No.5
Best out (soft tip): 106 (16, Bull, d20).

Darts Connect ID: 1000002362
Thak you for your advices I'm very grateful.

I think my way at least for the next year is try to improve my natural throwing, correcting the little bad habbits and trying to add little variations that can help me to reach the next level. Record my throwing in video can be something useful.

I have installed a steeltip dartboard at home so I hope it can help me to train and improve. I think that if you play well steeltip the change to softip is easier because the technique in steeltip is more pure. If you play well in steeltip you can be strong in softtip, but not necesarily it works in the opposite way.
(01-15-2016, 05:13 PM)beerfoxx Wrote: Thak you for your advices I'm very grateful.

I think my way at least for the next year is try to improve my natural throwing, correcting the little bad habbits and trying to add little variations that can help me to reach the next level. Record my throwing in video can be something useful.

I have installed a steeltip dartboard at home so I hope it can help me to train and improve.    I think that if you play well steeltip the change to softip is easier because the technique in steeltip is more pure.    If you play well in steeltip you can be strong in softtip, but not necesarily it works in the opposite way.

Suljovic throws like he does as a result of having dartitis. I would not look to him as a model. 

I do not know why it is so hard to point the dart at the board .
(01-15-2016, 05:13 PM)beerfoxx Wrote: Thak you for your advices I'm very grateful.

I have installed a steeltip dartboard at home so I hope it can help me to train and improve.    I think that if you play well steeltip the change to softip is easier because the technique in steeltip is more pure.    If you play well in steeltip you can be strong in softtip, but not necesarily it works in the opposite way.

I used to point the dart downward myself when i first started playing but throwing like that took me about as far as it could. I got REALLY good really fast but plateaued. So i switched to pointing it slightly upward. Think as if you were aiming a gun or a bow and arrow- you want your arrow pointing at exactly what you want to hit. You have to find out what your dominant eye is and if you close your other eye leaving dominant eye open you should have the point of the dart pointing at triple 20 or whatever you are aiming at. I wouldn't quit your league though. Fight through it. Practice at home and in between league nights. True story- i changed my darts and throw the day of the start of league and hit 4 170+, 109 checkout, and went 5-1. if you can throw a dart you just can flat out throw a dart. just attack it. 

PS -- one piece of advice i can give you. If you listen to anything i say listen to this- make sure the dart is at your eye level always. arm mechanics are by far the most important part of your throw as well as your follow through. Reach out and grab that triple 20, follow through, palm facing down. But seriously..go from eye level with the dart...small backswing and straight at it and REMEMBER TO FOLLOW THROUGH.
Another problem with pointing the dart downwards is its just one more thing that can go wrong on your backswing. BC you eventually have to c0ck (won't let me wright the word)
your wrist back to throw the dart, even with keeping your arm fully straight your wrist can c0ck the wrong way and send the dart flying all over the place. Look at phil taylor's throw. Watch his set point. His arm is at the same angle, elbow at the same height, and wrist c0cked slightly back with dart pointed slightly upwards.