Target Darts.

Faster than Standard?
Hi all!

Once again I am having problems with my set up. Currently using 22g desgina orion smooth with a medium length stem. Currently using standard flights and finding them too slow in the air and too wide. I've tried slims but they go all over the place and because I float my darts I need a flight with is going to stay stable.

I have a medium speed throw by the way and some days go all the way through like MVG or stop and aim like Taylor. All depends on my mood, confidence and previous practice. Will be trying to just use one throw soon.

Does anyone know a shape or shapes of flights which will be quicker than standard in the air but still stable?

Thanks all Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I'm not sure - I'm reckon more knowledgeable people here will comment.

What I'd suggest is putting together a kit of various stem lengths and flight shapes/sizes and testing the combinations.  Everyone's throw is different and what works for me may not work for you.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Thank you for your help and advice. Will do that tomorrow and hopefully find something that works Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Pear shaped
I'd say order a few sets of different shape flights & different length shafts play around see if a combo works
To slow, that's a joke right..
I'd say :

1) Pear
2) Vortex (mini and regular if you can find then in smooth surface. To me, these are fairly quick and the regular offers the same stability of a medium-larger standard)
3) Kite
4) V-wing (Try it. You might be surprised)
5 ) Small Standard like the Harrows Standard

Get all smooth surface, not the dimple or ribbed surface. 100 micron may offer more stability than a 75 micron.

I would also try the Target Pro Grip Intermediate Size #3 (38mm) and #4 (41.5mm).

They are all so cheap so I'd also recommend buy all of them and try out a set for at least half a week - one week, and then decide on what works for your set-up/you.
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
You want "Shape."
Slightly smaller than standard but definitely fly different. They'll fly a little faster than standard, lay flatter, but you only lose a tiny bit of stability.

The best version in my opinion are the Harrows Marathon in the matte colors.
Like the solid black, red, white, blue, versions on the top 2 rows.
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/harrows-marathon-flights/

The side fins are cut inward. Even thought it looks insignificant, it makes a difference. My new Barney Phase 5's were landing at a bad angle and it felt like I was having to throw them extra hard to fight the drag. I switched over to the smaller "shape" size (L Style was one of the first companies to offer this size and named it "Shape") and it solved everything without a loss in stability.

Plus those Harrows flights are very durable/hold their shape well.
Kites with an intermediate stem work well for me. Pears or oversized pears work well too.
Any brand listed as #6 these are slightly smaller than STD & vary in how they end up smaller With my set up on some darts the Shot/Puma brand seen best suited
(01-13-2016, 06:23 AM)majeek Wrote: Pear shaped

Yup, I agree with this.

Or if you are using a Cosmo or l-style setup, try "shape"

The more surface area on the flight the more resistance therefore SLOWER.

So look at this pick and test.

https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=160
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Darts: 22g Rebel One80 / 22g John Part Golden Hero
Stems: Harrow Magnetic Mediums
Flights: Combat
Board: Blade 4
Board Light: Circumluminator

Highest checkout: 167
Favorite checkout: 125 (50-25-50)
Fave players: Anderson, Wright, Part
Fave double: D16
Fave double in: D20
Best Game: 9 Dart 501

Best Darting Moments: playing John Part at an Exhibition / Being in attendance at World Grand Prix in Dublin 2014
Sorry to beat on this topic, but how does one determine what size of "standard" flight one has and/or needs? I am becoming quite annoyed/confused trying to figure this out. Not only do we have standard standard, small standard, over sized standard, big wing standard, and now various # sized standards? Looking through the online stores you can look at 2 "standard" flights from the same company and see that two of the same "standard" flights have different shapes. See Target Pro Vision and Carrera "standard" flights, both listed in stores as "standard" size. I know they aren't very expensive to buy, but when you have to try and find what "standard" flight works best for you, you end up with a whole spares kit full of flights you do not want or use. Is this a conspiracy by the manufacturers to get you to buy more flights? All the slim/pear/tear drop/etc flights all look basically the same, why can't we have some sort of standard measurement or something to differentiate "standard" flights. This flight is a #2 standard and has approx. X number of square centimeters, size #3 has more sq. centimeteres etc. Sorry for the rant, just trying to figure this out.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(01-13-2016, 03:14 PM)AD18 Wrote: Sorry to beat on this topic, but how does one determine what size of "standard" flight one has and/or needs?  I am becoming quite annoyed/confused trying to figure this out.  Not only do we have standard standard, small standard, over sized standard, big wing standard, and now various # sized standards?  Looking through the online stores you can look at 2 "standard" flights from the same company and see that two of the same "standard" flights have different shapes.  See Target Pro Vision and Carrera "standard" flights, both listed in stores as "standard" size.  I know they aren't very expensive to buy, but when you have to try and find what "standard" flight works best for you, you end up with a whole spares kit full of flights you do not want or use.   Is this a conspiracy by the manufacturers to get you to buy more flights?  All the slim/pear/tear drop/etc flights all look basically the same, why can't we have some sort of standard measurement or something to differentiate "standard" flights.  This flight is a #2 standard and has approx. X number of square centimeters, size #3 has more sq. centimeteres etc.  Sorry for the rant, just trying to figure this out.

If you find the " smaller" std flight suits & you have a number of "standard" std you can always trim to the smaller size, Or if you play in a league, do as I do on occasions, bundle the unwanted ones into plastic bags & either sell them to your team mates /opponents, or swap in exchange for drinks.  On the times I've done this they have all gone within 5 minutes of putting out, telling the assembled " rabble"   I get rid of most of my unused/unwanted  kit in this way to the point where team mates have asked when the next sale was. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-13-2016, 03:14 PM)AD18 Wrote: Sorry to beat on this topic, but how does one determine what size of "standard" flight one has and/or needs?  I am becoming quite annoyed/confused trying to figure this out.  Not only do we have standard standard, small standard, over sized standard, big wing standard, and now various # sized standards?  Looking through the online stores you can look at 2 "standard" flights from the same company and see that two of the same "standard" flights have different shapes.  See Target Pro Vision and Carrera "standard" flights, both listed in stores as "standard" size.  I know they aren't very expensive to buy, but when you have to try and find what "standard" flight works best for you, you end up with a whole spares kit full of flights you do not want or use.   Is this a conspiracy by the manufacturers to get you to buy more flights?  All the slim/pear/tear drop/etc flights all look basically the same, why can't we have some sort of standard measurement or something to differentiate "standard" flights.  This flight is a #2 standard and has approx. X number of square centimeters, size #3 has more sq. centimeteres etc.  Sorry for the rant, just trying to figure this out.
"Standard" is consistent with most manufacturers. It wasn't until a few years back that L Style came out with the "Shape" standard (I mentioned earlier in my post) that has the edges cut inwards.
It's easy to tell when shopping for flights online. Just look at the edges of the flight.

If they're straight = Standard

Angled inward = "Shape"

Shape has really caught on and a lot of darts are coming with these now. The Target Lewis Gen 1 has the full size Standard flights, the latest versions have the smaller flights. The smaller "Shape" size has become more popular because it shares the stability of a full size standard but flies a little faster with less drag.

Target Pro Vision = "Shape size."
Don't get too wrapped up in terminology. Just look at the flights when ordering. Compare the border of the frame to the side of the flight.
Example...

Obviously a full size standard....
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
A "Shape" or Harrows Marathon or Target Pro Vision, etc..
The company that screws this up is Unicorn.
A Unicorn "Standard" is actually smaller. Their "Big Wing" is actually a normal Standard if I remember correctly. For the life of me I can't figure why they won't adapt. They make it confusing for everyone.

A few companies had a "small standard" or "mini standard" back in the day but I rarely if ever see them anymore. They were tiny. Ignore those. Barely anyone uses them.
If you buy from a big retailer and get their generic blank/single color flights, 99% of the time it's going to be the Standard size.

Also a few companies have tried new models where they stretch out the dart....like Harrows Max Air. Those are their own deal though.
So when ordering, just pay attention to the edges....that's all that matters.

A-Z darts actually has all of the dart shapes in categories.
So if you can't tell if a dart you're looking at is a full size standard or a "Shape" size, refer to this. They even have a "Shape" section for easy reference.
https://www.a-zdarts.com/Category/Flights/Shapes.aspx

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harrows standard bowles180 7 325 04-01-2021, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Davey Jones
  Is anyone using punched flights on bog standard nylon stems? skinnygav 16 1,769 03-29-2021, 11:10 AM
  Standard flight size question baasj2 3 253 03-29-2021, 10:57 AM
Star Winmau mega standard flights B2B180 3 287 01-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Spangle
  Standard embossed flights? Hazza 14 530 05-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rich345
  Inbetween standard and kite? B2B180 16 1,130 02-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Last Post: B2B180
  Standard Flights: Quick review/opinions JP Ahinko 14 1,334 08-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Last Post: thurgood107
  Bigger Than Standard AD18 12 3,027 03-28-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Noj
  Cosmo Standard vs. Shape... Great White North 12 3,013 02-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Cutting Standard Flights To A Customised Shape. WizyDarts 13 3,361 02-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: WizyDarts