Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Am i practicing correctly ?
Hi all. I use an app called darts scoreboard, I tend to play 5 legs against myself and record my average. My aim every time is to beat my personal best average which is currently 65. I do also indulge in the A1 and A2 from flight school but more often than not, I play against myself. When I started recording 2 months ago, I was averaging 48 so my results tell me I am improving. Is there any dangers to this kind of practice ? Should I continue or concentrate more on flight school ?
Personally I'd concentrate more on flight school and other practice games(loads on here) to mix it up and improve accuracy and grouping all around the board.While there is nothing wrong with playing games of 501 it will only get you so far throwing mostly just at 20s and a double here and there. Maybe at the end of each practice session have a couple of games of 501 to finish it off. I'm sure someone more experienced and knowledgeable than me will come along and give some suggestions.
180's in 2016 so far - 29
180's in 2015 . - 119

Highest out this year. - 117
Highest out 2015  - 170

Highest Checkout - Practice 170,Match 152

Best 501 - Practice 10 darts,Match 13 darts

Darts used - Red dragon Invicta 97
There is nothing wrong with using simulated games as a form of practice, however this shouldn't be your only form of practice. 
IMHO your practice should be used to develop various parts of your game independent from "practice matches"

So you should have drills that focus on improving your doubles - increasing your scoring - and developing your cricket numbers (if you play cricket)

Examples for doubles would be:  Around the board doubles - Bob's 27 etc
Scoring would be: 100 darts at 20 - - shootout (set a number of rounds and see how much you can score) - this helps in developing cover shots
Cricket - A1 is actually pretty good for developing your cricket game

You should also have focused practice on bullseye even if you don't play cricket as many matches hinge on your ability to cork and start -

There are a lot of challenges listed on this forum and they can provide a good mix of practice when old routines get boring

Hope this helps
Thankyou both. Some good info there. I don't play cricket, just standard 501 mostly. I'll have a read through some other practice games and mix it up a bit. Maybe finish off with 5 legs against myself. I think I did read somewhere that challenging myself on averages is a " rocket ship to lack of confidence" or something along them lines, but my improvement seems to suggest otherwise. I guess that was the reason for my question.
I do a practice around the board on dbl and trpls. then I play pro-darter so you get both. Or if I really have an off day I'll practice dbl and trpls after I get hammered with pro-darter
(01-12-2016, 04:05 PM)steve1 Wrote: Thankyou both. Some good info there. I don't play cricket, just standard 501 mostly. I'll have a read through some other practice games and mix it up a bit. Maybe finish off with 5 legs against myself. I think I did read somewhere that challenging myself on averages is a " rocket ship to lack of confidence" or something along them lines, but my improvement seems to suggest otherwise. I guess that was the reason for my question.

I think the online sites like WDA and Pro-Darter are purely based on averages. What I mean is, when people talk about their matches or bring up a time they shot well, it's always about averages. Imo, that's fine. When I was in top form I played online all the time so it certainly helped. 

2 things I would do if I was you. Crank up the format. Start doing best of 9's or best of 11's and always let the computer have the start. And secondly, make sure you're shooting at the right things when on certain numbers. Learn and memorize your setup shots.
(01-12-2016, 02:39 PM)steve1 Wrote: Hi all. I use an app called darts scoreboard, I tend to play 5 legs against myself and record my average. My aim every time is to beat my personal best average which is currently 65. I do also indulge in the A1 and A2 from flight school but more often than not, I play against myself. When I started recording 2 months ago, I was averaging 48 so my results tell me I am improving. Is there any dangers to this kind of practice ? Should I continue or concentrate more on flight school ?

I use Pro Darter and I'd recommend you take a look if you haven't already.  It records averages such as PPT and doubles percentage for 501.  Plus a bunch of other stuff.  Here's a game I played last night to give you an idea.  www.pro-darter.com/match-history.php?match=5910062541402681

(01-12-2016, 04:49 PM)Cyanide Wrote: I think the online sites like WDA and Pro-Darter are purely based on averages. What I mean is, when people talk about their matches or bring up a time they shot well, it's always about averages. Imo, that's fine. When I was in top form I played online all the time so it certainly helped.

2 things I would do if I was you. Crank up the format. Start doing best of 9's or best of 11's and always let the computer have the start. And secondly, make sure you're shooting at the right things when on certain numbers. Learn and memorize your setup shots.

When using Pro Darter I took the part of Cy's advice that I bolded and it makes a difference.  I've played well against T4 and lost because I just couldn't get the break of throw.  It makes a subtle to but important difference when you find the level that's your match.

Pro Darter's also good for doubles games (Round The Clock, Bob's 27) although I use Round The Clock to hone my doubles so I don't do it to "beat my score".  On that subject, have a look at this:  https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=17420    It discusses the two types of practice: practice to improve technically, and match-type practice.  I try not to have a competitive aspect (i.e. beat my record) when I'm just working on technique.  When practising technique I'd rather have three well-thrown darts on the wire than 2 a mile away and the third snatched into the target.  Be mindful of what type of practice you are doing and what you are trying to achieve.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Thanks for the advice everyone. A lot to take in so I'll try to take note of it all. Banz that app is simular to the one I use but yours maybe has a bit more info.https://www.dartsassist.com/match/20265 . After reading all this I'll be sure to concentrate on practice routines more often. I'll continue to track my progress by recording averages but maybe just a couple times a week, maybe flight school and other practice routines will speed up my progress. All I got to do now is transfer my practice averages to league games and I'll be a happy bunny. Easier said than done.
(01-13-2016, 11:07 PM)steve1 Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone. A lot to take in so I'll try to take note of it all. Banz that app is simular to the one I use but yours maybe has a bit more info.https://www.dartsassist.com/match/20265 . After reading all this I'll be sure to concentrate on practice routines more often. I'll continue to track my progress by recording averages but maybe just a couple times a week, maybe flight school and other practice routines will speed up my progress. All I got to do now is transfer my practice averages to league games and I'll be a happy bunny. Easier said than done.

Dart Assist looks pretty similar to Pro Darter in the stats it gathers per game. PD allows you to select date ranges and see the averages across those as well. Give it a try (or run them in parallel) to see which one suits your needs best. It's probably a good idea to take more time between visits during match type practice for it to be more.

This place will give as much information and advice as you want or need; you only have to ask. The great thing is that you're practicing and that your want to practice to improve. It's not enough to just to mindlessly throw darts. Make it fun and keep it interesting.

No-one, from MvG down, plays as well competitively as they do in practice. I think you just have to accept that. To get better averages in the league you need to get better averages at home. If the disparity is large then familiarity with playing competitively will probably help but that's the best you can hope for. If you do find the secret then remember us when you become the wealthiest sports trainer in history!

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
Few tips that i can give you

- play short session 20 -30 min. after that take a break for 5 minutes or longer
- work on you finishing. a good game for that is 121 in 9 darts. https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=15783

- play short games to work on you doubles finishing and scores. like 301 dido. start with a double and finish with a double. you can play against a computer or by you own.
- play against beter players or play against a higher level against the computer or app
- mixed up you routines. i play 121 a lot finishing and doubles wins matches mate.

hope this helps
Hi Steve1,

First of all, good to hear you are having success improving your game!

I agree with the others that playing 01 games should only be a part of your practice routine.
When you focus your routine around improving your throw/grouping/doubles instead it'll be easier to have the right mindset when playing tournaments or league which is getting your darts in the correct segment.

The main pitfall of only practicing 01 games is that besides your goal of beating your opponent you'll base your performance on your average. So you're basically playing both him and you instead of just him.

And now for the best part: If you can concentrate on putting your darts in the right spot your average will improve as well without it being the main focus. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers!
Red
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hello steve1...you should not compete with yourself...i would suggest flight school...its free its fun...and will really level up your darts... Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.: Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. darts for life..! :stressed:
Darts: unicorn blackstar 22 grms carbon shaft Robson plus flights
Board: Terton Craft Samurai
I have found that there are at least four distinct mindsets when practicing.

These are:

1) Learning to throw -- developing  a stroke
2) Learning to score --  creating tight groupings
3) Learning to setup finishes -- accuracy/spot shooting
4) Learning to finish -- accuracy/spot shooting

You can multiply this by two if you want to add pressure to each.   I make these distinctions because it is not enough to learn how to throw better and better.  

When it becomes necessary to score, that added pressure may destroy your stroke.
When it becomes necessary to set up a finish, it is possible to make a mess out of things from pressure.  
When it becomes necessary to end the game,  it is possible to make a mess out of things from pressure.

NB. I make the distinction between setup and scoring for various reasons.  Setup generally means one shot at each target in the sequence.  That is one sort pressure.  Finish means you win.  That is another kind of pressure.  Being good at doubles does not mean being good at setting them up and vice versa.  You can practice each in isolation or do both  ( eg. the routine called 81 will do both, with more emphasis on finishing, 121 will do both with more emphasis on setting up. )

Often the notion of  "I can score/set up/finish well at home but not at the pub/league/tournament" is true.  This indicates that there is something that the player cannot reproduce in their mental game.

Remembering/reproducing your mental approach to each successful shot is what you are practicing.  Some call it "getting into the zone".  If you like that term, use it.  I don't.  I just try to reproduce that mental state that gives me the best shot at success.  And that can be practiced.

Scoring is about getting that first dart close and grouping all three.  This "follow with two darts" mindset can be practiced.  In Flight school, that is A2.  You can measure your performance by 10 turns at the 20.  Score them, divide by 10 and you have a great idea of how well you can score.  It is not a game to try to beat your PPR each time out.  That trend of increased PPR ought to just happen as you learn to group your darts,  spot shoot better and have the right mindset to do it.  More PPR is not the goal, better groups, better spot shooting and increased stroke stability are.

Setup/Finishing is what A3 teaches  by spot shooting -- throw at most three darts at the target, switch to the next one when you hit it.  In a real game, you often have one dart at any target on setup, although you can have more -- eg. 96 = T20 D18 or S20, T20 D8... two shots at the T20.   When you get good at A3, hitting two or three targets in a row happens more and more often.  Once you can maintain the stroke you've developed in A1, getting good at A3 is more a mental thing.  

All of that can be practiced with practice games against a computer.  When practicing against the computer, my focus is not my PPR average, but the mental approach.  Bear in mind, you will not be perfect at this right away.  With enough practice though, you will learn how to reproduce a winning mindset.  First steps may be tough, but as you practice and hopefully improve, you are able to string more and more throws together that have the right mental approach whether that is for score/setup or finish.

Flight school suggests that they are really all the same thing, but here I disagree.  The pressures surrounding each of scoring/setup/finish differ, which in turn challenges the mental game somewhat differently. 

IN general, I view practice as first being able to settle into a comfortable, reproducible stroke.  Then learning the mindset/focus you need to reproduce that stroke when scoring, setting up and finishing. 

Do NOT confuse game results with success.  You can throw brilliant darts and be off just a little.  If that is happening more often than not, increase your A3 practice.  If you have a loose dart, increase your A2 practice.  If your arm becomes a spastic mess under pressure increase your A1 practice, with the goal to throw all the darts the same way....

In my opinion, this beats the heck out of mindlessly throwing at the T20.
Hey all,

Im new to the forum and live in the US. When you guys mention flight school and A1 A2 what are you guys referring to? When i practice i do 1) doubles challenge from 1-20 and double bull trying to beat my best score (finished in 62 darts was my personal best), 2) RVB's favorite game of 21- throw three darts at all the cricket numbers including bullseye and add up your marks. if you hit 21 or better you're probably warmed up (personal best of 34). then i have to hit 3 doubles each on double 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, 8, 4, 2, and 1. Then along with probably 20-30 darts at 20 and 19 and then I'm warm. But I'm curious what flight school is as well as A1 A2 ETC.

thanks,
cheers
Hi Steve, looks like your throwing well, just one thing to consider when looking at averages is the range of how many darts it takes to win a leg, for example it shows your averaging 23 darts per leg to get a 65 average, so if you go 23 23 23 23 its better than say 13 26 27 25 22, it will be the same average however you might be 3-2 down if you lost the legs its 26/27/25 etc, I've had games before with a 70+ average knowing I've had maybe a 12 or 14 darter to bump it up but Id be happier with say a 68 that was solid.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that averages can be a bit misleading, id focus more on how many darts it takes to win each leg. For example if you want to average above 60 try and finish each leg in less than 25 or 24 darts, if you want to average over 70 aim for every leg below 21 darts. I personally count 501 down in my head and try and finish each leg in 21 darts or below, If I don't then I lose that leg if I do then I win it (bo9).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A well rounded approach to practicing Dorian 5 550 12-25-2019, 02:46 AM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Practicing Doubles And Trebles..... Black Dog 13 3,993 07-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Dave0251
  practicing darts in a club on your own clem1995 25 2,678 06-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Last Post: clem1995