Target Darts.

Aiming sight vs throwing sight
Hi All

I am new to the forum. I played darts for a few years in my teens, now at 30, I am flinging the arrows again. One thing I have noticed is that I am cross dominant. Throw right and aim with my left eye. The dart would be around 2/3 the way to the left of my face. I notice that when my throwing hand comes back, this blocks the view of my right eye. Will this kill my depth perception and hinder my aiming. I have tried to keep the dart below my eyes on the pull back so that I have full sight of the target throughout the whole throw. I am also drifting into the 5's, which may be a factor of the right eye loosing its target and the brain overcompensating via the left eye. As a result the target will appear more to the right (for that instant) and the brain corrects the dart left. The result is a fat 5!!

What are your thoughts and how do you aim and throw from a sight perspective?
What i personally do is stay an inch to the left (or so very slightly) of the absolute center, positioning my feet - front foot at about 45% angle, left food being my pivot until i find the line between my left eye, my hand and my target. (obviously after a while you know automatically how to stand ).

Once you have found your line, you drawn back you have a clear sight to throw, and as long you stayed true to your line - you will find the target.

Being cross eye dominant is a very torturing process indeed, i have been battling it for maybe 7-8 months until i found that its more important to concentrate on having a flawless technique, stance, position , then keep thinking about it. To sum it up:

- Find position, set feet at correct angle
- Shoulder to the target
- Elbow stretched out ( very good habit , prevents moving left, elbow droping etc. hitches )
- Find your line
- Other dart basics still apply - no body english, full follow through, miminum unneeded movement in throw, practice, practice, practice
Welcome to the forum GONKO!
Good to hear you've started playing again.

I block my right eye too and spent quite some time trying to fix it once I found out I'm left eye dominant.

Want to know a secret?
I played better before I found out and started overthinking things. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My suggestion would be to just keep at it and use your natural throw. If blocking your right eye would impact your aim you wouldn't be throwing this way to begin with.

My 2 cents...

Cheers!
Red
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
i'm cross-dominant. After messing with it a lot, I've come to the conclusion that I'm fine as long as I don't try to sight with just my right eye. Using both eyes gets the job done, and I don't need to contort into a pretzel like Taylor does. And, again unlike Taylor, it doesn't help me to align the dart out in front of my eye. Baseball pitchers, after all, hit tiny spots from over 60 feet away, and they hide the ball behind their backs.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(01-12-2016, 04:54 PM)brenthahn Wrote: I don't need to contort into a pretzel like Taylor does.

Could you elaborate on this please?
(01-12-2016, 06:57 PM)Bomber Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 04:54 PM)brenthahn Wrote: I don't need to contort into a pretzel like Taylor does.

Just watch video of him.  He over-arches his back, turns his head to the right so he's facing the target straight on, throws his elbow out to the left side of his torso, and swings his forearm up so his right hand is in front of his left eye.  Then when he throws, rather than leaving the elbow in place while the forearm arcs, he thrusts his hand out in a straight line toward the target and the elbow snaps up.  He makes it look smooth and easy and (somewhat) natural.  But doing any one of those things would have me screaming in pain.  I could probably manage the "googly eyebrows" without hurting myself, though.
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

(01-12-2016, 07:15 PM)brenthahn Wrote:
(01-12-2016, 06:57 PM)Bomber Wrote:

Just watch video of him.  He over-arches his back, turns his head to the right so he's facing the target straight on, throws his elbow out to the left side of his torso, and swings his forearm up so his right hand is in front of his left eye.  Then when he throws, rather than leaving the elbow in place while the forearm arcs, he thrusts his hand out in a straight line toward the target and the elbow snaps up.  He makes it look smooth and easy and (somewhat) natural.  But doing any one of those things would have me screaming in pain.  I could probably manage the "googly eyebrows" without hurting myself, though.

Thanks. I see what you're saying. Obviously, it's comfortable for him, and I've tried to somewhat copy that, but I've found I'm better off finding my "own" way. I think we all should, including the "googly eyebrows".  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-12-2016, 10:49 AM)GONKO Wrote: Hi All

I am new to the forum. I played darts for a few years in my teens, now at 30, I am flinging the arrows again. One thing I have noticed is that I am cross dominant. Throw right and aim with my left eye. The dart would be around 2/3 the way to the left of my face. I notice that when my throwing hand comes back, this blocks the view of my right eye. Will this kill my depth perception and hinder my aiming. I have tried to keep the dart below my eyes on the pull back so that I have full sight of the target throughout the whole throw. I am also drifting into the 5's, which may be a factor of the right eye loosing its target and the brain overcompensating via the left eye. As a result the target will appear more to the right (for that instant) and the brain corrects the dart left. The result is a fat 5!!

What are your thoughts and how do you aim and throw from a sight perspective?

No.  This is simply incorrect.  

When you start the shot, you pull back and throw.  Once started, that cycle cannot be effectively controlled.  It is incorrect to suggest that momentarily blocking the right eye means you are going to throw left, because the instructions on what to throw/which muscles to fire have already been sent.

Darts is not a "closed loop" where your brain monitors your real time performance and corrects in real time.  It monitors your real time performance, but can only correct on the next throw.  That is a very slow control loop.  However, for each individual throw,  once you say "THROW" it's over -- that is called open loop control.

In other words, with enough practice and a good enough proprioceptive sense, you can throw blindfolded.  Phil Taylor can hit the bull blindfolded.  That is purely proprioception.  For him, that is similar to you being able to touch the tip of your nose with your eyes closed.

So, it is not your vision that is causing the issue, but perhaps your proprioception.... hitting the 5 when going 20 is like closing your eyes and poking yourself in the mouth when trying for the nose.  

Try dropping a plumb line down the middle of the board, and drawing your arm back and forth in the plane formed by the line and your elbow.  That's what a straight-on throw feels like. So, mind your elbow and keep the forearm in that plane when your throw.  That's a very traditional style.  It's not for everyone, but if you are looking for a mechanical solution, there is one.

Regardless of how you choose to throw, it just takes PILES more practice to stop doing it, until you can train your arm to feel what shooting straight at a target is all about.
I like Red's advice - just let things flow!
Welcome to the Nutz Gonko... Grow your own style....Nutz tend to do that! :-)
However, Flight School helps direct that growth ... Try it, it free! Sign up here on the forum.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Seconded.... Flight School is awesome.
Welcome to the forum mate and its a good question that a lot of people struggle with, I often find myself aiming sometimes then deciding not to aim but then I come back the next day and aim again, I think being a cross eye dominant is just something we have to learn to adapt with, you need to find the right way of doing it for you but body positioning and alignment of your throwing arm is something that takes time to learn and perfect.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for all the insights guys. Really helpful. I managed to hit my first 180 since my time away 2 nights ago, so I am guessing the body in on autopilot once the "fire" signal has been given, as BigE suggested.

I will keep up the practice and look at flight school. Loving darts again!
Cool, nice one! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aiming on the horisontal / vertical plane mascDK 14 403 02-03-2021, 01:45 PM
Last Post: mascDK
  Eye sight or Release Gooddark 6 431 05-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Aiming, or not Hazza 4 364 04-15-2020, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Hazza
  right handed and left eye dominant and winmau sight right 2 stormyinc 1 528 03-12-2020, 05:26 PM
Last Post: Danny Giles
  What do you use to aim or "sight" your dart? DeezBullsEyes 1 455 10-22-2019, 08:47 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  dart in front of eye when aiming? tjdetweiler 11 992 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Last Post: tjdetweiler
  Aiming at 19 but hitting 16? Ed180 18 1,694 08-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: Sultan Pepper
  Problems with aiming Stefan Gusko 11 1,946 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM
Last Post: DanC.Licks
  Aiming issue Troll 7 861 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Last Post: Musher
  Hitting/Aiming big number compared with treble Leetaylor17 3 966 01-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Last Post: wongerchi