Double Top Darts.

3rd dart syndrome
anyone any tips on last or 3rd dart syndrome.. It happens me loads I can throw 2 perfect darts and the last one could go any where from the 1 and 5 to the 18 even outside the board. Just wondering has anyone suffered from this and how didthey fix it
(01-09-2016, 02:06 AM)willm150 Wrote: anyone any tips on last or 3rd dart syndrome.. It happens me loads I can throw 2 perfect darts and the last one could go any where from the 1 and 5 to the 18 even outside the board. Just wondering has anyone suffered from this and how didthey fix it

Make sure your off hand and head are just as still on the third dart. Don't step in.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-09-2016, 02:31 AM)Milkysunshine Wrote:
(01-09-2016, 02:06 AM)willm150 Wrote: anyone any tips on last or 3rd dart syndrome.. It happens me loads I can throw 2 perfect darts and the last one could go any where from the 1 and 5 to the 18 even outside the board. Just wondering has anyone suffered from this and how didthey fix it

Make sure your off hand and head are just as still on the third dart. Don't step in.
that's what I think I'm doing I'm going to get the darts before its hit the board I have been trying to stop that I think I'm just over thinking it now
its an issue I have often too, but mine is not so much how I throw its just mental really. You could try holding 4 darts just in practice and use all 4 but I would not do it for too long, just 20 or 30 mins.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(01-09-2016, 01:20 PM)Getagrip Wrote: its an issue I have often too, but mine is not so much how I throw its just mental really.  You could try holding 4 darts just in practice and use all 4 but I would not do it for too long, just 20 or 30 mins.
I defo think it mental with me too.. I'm going to give your 4 darts idea ago and see how I get on. thanks for that ???
when you are practicing try throwing your third dart at a different target. so if you are practicing 20s or playing a game against a computer or bot throw two darts at 20 then switch the third one up and throw it at 19. not only will it improve your concentration but it will also help you in throwing to different areas without stopping and realigning yourself. if I stop and start adjusting that kills my momentum and that's when im more likely to toss in the middle of nowhere. my third dart problems are almost always because if I do ok with the first two then im likely to zombie throw the third one. either that or I will start thinking about it too much and I end up snatching it. I have hit a ton load of 121s and 125s for that reason. you stick the first two and get so excited telling yourself not to miss that you end up missing.

I play a lot with my wife who is really not that great and one of the ways we try to make it a little more competitive is for me to not be able to hit the same number twice. so if I hit 20 then I have to aim at something else. this is a GREAT drill, especially for newer type players like myself. after you do that for a bit switch it up and throw 2 at 19 and then throw at 20 with the third one. if you can get comfortable doing that then youll land that third dart almost every time, or at least get as close as you normally would.

hope this helps
MC
Switching won't help if you want to hit a 180.

I'd love to know how to sort that out as well.  There are times when I also throw the third dart away. It can be hard to stop doing it, especially if you've convinced yourself that it is what you do.  So, what you need to do is something that has consequences when you don't perform as you wish.  Unless you are willing to give your doubles partner a buck for each missed third dart, you'll need to monitor your own performance... ie, you need to keep score when you practice.

Here is a drill I like to do.  I just call it 10 throws @ 20 -- it is 10 trips to the oche.  Sum the results, and divide by ten.  That gives you a PPT average.  10 is easy  because if you score 585, your PPT is 58.5!   Try also  10 throws @19 and @18. You can score darts aimed *only* at the named number, no switching.  So you can score 45,41 even 58 or 94 when aiming at the 20... flukes into the 18 count.  But you cannot switch your aim to T19 to score 115 or switch to aiming at T18 to score 105 after hitting S1 on the first dart.  If the T20 is blocked, S20 is still open, or you can move on the oche.

You need to do the drill several times to get a realistic number for how many PPT you can expect to hit when pumping darts at a single segment.  Lots of good things can be learned with this:

You can figure out how many darts it will take you to play a game of 501.   Doubling out is it's own issue, but at least you'll have a ballpark figure that will usually be *higher* than in a real game.  50 PPT will be about 30 darts, but you will have to hit the double on the first dart. 60 PPT is 24.  

Add the pressure of competition and you get to see how much mental control/confidence you have.

You can also figure out if throwing at the 19's is better than throwing at the 20's for you. 

And, it gives you a way to track your progress on putting the T18 shot into your game.  If your PPT @18 is consistently below 36, well, probably better to stay with the 20 until you can sort out the 18.

Assuming you have no real preferences, the difference in scores between the numbers ought to be:

1) 20 and 19: 5%
2) 20 and 19: 10%
3) 19 and 18: 5%

What is nice about this is that there is a consequence of missing on the third dart -- you miss the 20 into the one, and you have just thrown 2 PPT away.  So if your goal is 60 PPT and you got 58.5.....well that miss was a big one.
(01-12-2016, 01:33 AM)BigE Wrote: Switching won't help if you want to hit a 180.

I'd love to know how to sort that out as well.  There are times when I also throw the third dart away. It can be hard to stop doing it, especially if you've convinced yourself that it is what you do.  So, what you need to do is something that has consequences when you don't perform as you wish.  Unless you are willing to give your doubles partner a buck for each missed third dart, you'll need to monitor your own performance... ie, you need to keep score when you practice.

Here is a drill I like to do.  I just call it 10 throws @ 20 -- it is 10 trips to the oche.  Sum the results, and divide by ten.  That gives you a PPT average.  10 is easy  because if you score 585, your PPT is 58.5!   Try also  10 throws @19 and @18. You can score darts aimed *only* at the named number, no switching.  So you can score 45,41 even 58 or 94 when aiming at the 20... flukes into the 18 count.  But you cannot switch your aim to T19 to score 115 or switch to aiming at T18 to score 105 after hitting S1 on the first dart.  If the T20 is blocked, S20 is still open, or you can move on the oche.

You need to do the drill several times to get a realistic number for how many PPT you can expect to hit when pumping darts at a single segment.  Lots of good things can be learned with this:

You can figure out how many darts it will take you to play a game of 501.   Doubling out is it's own issue, but at least you'll have a ballpark figure that will usually be *higher* than in a real game.  50 PPT will be about 30 darts, but you will have to hit the double on the first dart. 60 PPT is 24.  

Add the pressure of competition and you get to see how much mental control/confidence you have.

You can also figure out if throwing at the 19's is better than throwing at the 20's for you. 

And, it gives you a way to track your progress on putting the T18 shot into your game.  If your PPT @18 is consistently below 36, well, probably better to stay with the 20 until you can sort out the 18.

Assuming you have no real preferences, the difference in scores between the numbers ought to be:

1) 20 and 19: 5%
2) 20 and 19: 10%
3) 19 and 18: 5%

What is nice about this is that there is a consequence of missing on the third dart -- you miss the 20 into the one, and you have just thrown 2 PPT away.  So if your goal is 60 PPT and you got 58.5.....well that miss was a big one.
Words.. 

Words....

Simply, just do it again. That easy.
-Milky

Keeping dart retailers in business since 2012.
Q: How do I  learn to "do it again"?  
A: Simply do it again.

That's useful. :dodgy:

3rd dart syndrome must have CONSEQUENCES. Throwing away 2 points while going 10 turns@20 is a consequence.  Putting a quarter in a jar each time you do it then giving the full jar away to a charity is a consequence.  

Or how about putting a quarter into a jar each time to hit three where you want them, and then using that as your only darts fund?
I don't believe you need consequences - you need a technique that cures what you're issue is -

You state that you are walking to the board prior to completely releasing your third dart -

IMO the simplest solution is to "force" yourself to evaluate your follow through by taking a moment to physically view your follow through. 

You know how some pros leave there hand out after hitting a massive shot or how a basketball player leaves that gooseneck there for an extra bit -

That's what you need to do.
This is something I occasionally find myself doing and when I do its usually because I am looking at the dart being thrown and not the intended target, its just focus nothing else
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Voks Tornado points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
(01-12-2016, 09:01 PM)Lurker1 Wrote: I don't believe you need consequences - you need a technique that cures what you're issue is -

You state that you are walking to the board prior to completely releasing your third dart -

IMO the simplest solution is to "force" yourself to evaluate your follow through by taking a moment to physically view your follow through. 

You know how some pros leave there hand out after hitting a massive shot or how a basketball player leaves that gooseneck there for an extra bit -

That's what you need to do.

I agree with this. I try to hold my follow through until I see the dart hit the board. It was a bit unnatural at first as it feels like a bit of a pose but it's necessary to ensure that dart 3 is delivered the same as dart 1.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
You could also play A1 requiring that all three darts are in the fat to get a drill mark.

The consequence is that if you continue to throw away the third dart, the drill will last a very very long time.
if you hit 2 perfect darts and consistently miss the last one, sometimes even missing the board entirely then its probably not a mechanical issue. its nerves and/or mental block. when he said the answer was "do it again" hes pretty much right. make sure you do the exact same things as you did with the other two. same amount of time setting up, same speed on back stroke, same everything.

that's why I suggested switching off. if you've never hit a 180 before and this is the basis of your question, then I wouldn't worry about it. it probably is nerves and that's something that will heal over time. if you've hit a bunch of 180s before but you still get choked up because you have a shot at another one, then switch off and throw at something else. this will not only calm your nerves but at least you will get something out of that dart and you wont be wasting it. besides, I know a lot of people that have hit a bunch of 180s but the haven't hit any 177s or 174s or 171s. to me those are a lot harder to hit than 180. after you've hit a couple of them 180 doesn't really mean that much. during a match the difference between 180 and 177 or even 174 is minute at best.
When I miss the third dart, it is often that I have switched off entirely. 

The advice to do the exact same thing all the time is relevant though.  That can be practiced with the flight school A2 drill. 

When I hit the 180's I generally switch off "targetting" in favour of repetition. I am sure that the pros do the same thing... have you seen how many 180's get hit on the same side of the triple bed, while the other side is wide open?  They did not aim at the other side and missed, they followed the first with two more....