Harrows Darts.

Winmau Diamond 23g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuwaOzXgAM

I think Winmau have had a very strong launch for 2016 new darts and one of the range I liked were the Diamond models with the diamond fusion coating.  This coating I think was first seen in the Red Dragon Elements but was quite expensive when it first came out, thankfully they have found a way to make it a more reasonable proposition which is great!

The model I am reviewing is the 23g 1033 version which is also available in 21g.  There is also a soft tip version available too. You can see the range here: https://www.winmau.com/pages/2284/2016_-_diamond_steel/

The darts are 90% tungsten and retail for £48.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

The darts come in the nifty little boxes with a lift up flap which reveals a bigger window underneath and is secured via a built in magnet.  Inside is a dense slide out foam insert holding the barrels in a neatly milled alloy point protector, there is a set of the new Prism polycarbonate medium stems in a black tint colour, a set of Winmau Rhino standard shape flights and also included is the little rubber for cleaning the diamond fusion coating:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

The diamond fusion coating is very sparkly, I don't think it really shows in the pics or video just how sparkly it is, its like some kind of jewel Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  I think in some light it looks a kind of grey colour and sometimes it has a very greenish colour, must be how the little particles play with the light but I don't know.  As for the feel of it well its a kind of gritty dry feeling like rough sandpaper. I found it hard to perceive the feel of the individual rings as that gritty feel seemed to overshadow any other perception of my touch.  I would say its about a high medium level of grip though but its got a kind of unique feel of its own so I think some people may rate it higher and may be some a little lower.  I do like it though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

DIMENSIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed dimensions:

WEIGHT:

Two barrels are quite closely matched but the difference between lightest and heaviest is twelve hundredths of a gram, I guess its not too bad though as the coating is a strange one with little particles as it is, so may be one barrel has more particles stuck than another and that would be difficult to match I guess?  

What is Twelve hundredths of a gram?  Well I cut a standard flight into 4 quarters and it was the weight of 1 top quarter, I guess we are a little strict with this but thought I would add some perspective to it Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Weight of full set up as supplied:

BALANCE:

Was a little hard to balance because of the shape but with nothing attached the balance is front weighted:

With the supplied set up it moves to the centre:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

The barrels are quite short but the shape of the barrel kind of dictates your grip to some extent so although I am a natural front gripper I was pretty much gripping the darts around the centre:

The darts seemed to land at a slightly steeper angle than my usual:

CONCLUSION:

I think this barrel shape makes for a very comfy dart in the grip, its much like the Priestly shape which is one I find comfy to hold too.  I think the Diamond Fusion coating is very nice though, it certainly makes for an interesting feel but its one that I think will be good for people with sweaty or dry fingers as that gritty feeling seems to provide enough grip without been too harsh but it also has a kind of dry absorbent feeling too.

The darts were pretty well behaved through the air too although I did get some spin after releasing them, I think its more my own issue that causes that but some grips seem to add to it a little.

The barrels will likely suit any style of grip if your into a short barrelled dart but I think it probably favours front and centre grippers best.  The shape is comfortable like I said but some may feed it initially a little strange, I don't think there is that many barrels that have this kind of tear drop shape so if your used to straight barrels it will feel a bit weird at first but its worth sticking with.

I did try gripping the dart on the bulbous part at the front and it kind of flew a little different with that grip and although it was flying ok I did not find that grip as comfy as it is near the middle.

I am keen to try the straight barrel version of these and also the other model too as I like the feel of that coating and curious to see how they perform also.

My only question is how long will the coating last, its hard to say this early but it does say its hard wearing so I am hopeful it will last well, not sure if it will remain as grippy though and don't know if heavy contact may knock off some of the little particles?

Overall though they are very comfy darts to throw and I really like the coating Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7.5 (nice and sparkly)
Grip: 7.5 (1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 7 (2 are Close)
Quality: 8 (nicely made)
Value: 7.5 (tough one as they are diamonds Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. but its pretty decent value)
Suitability for me: 7.5 (feel comfy and fly well)

Best Feature: Diamond Fusion coating Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Whow, Nice darts. Look like Priestleys diamond :thumbup:
may all the doubles be with you

great review, strange darts, look like they been dropped in glitter lol

Member previously known as Daveheald

Great review, like all of those I have read from you  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and really nice looking darts! I was at my local dartshop today and the shop assistant showed me exactly those darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. They look brilliant and have a very interesting feel to them and as you said in your review it kind of remembered me of  sandpaper too (not like real sandpaper that would rub your fingers out but the texture is kind of the same to me). The only question I asked myself about was if those little diamond looking particles that make the grip are going to stay on the barrel for long...?

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Target Perfect Storm 22g  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-06-2016, 06:03 PM)Fred-180 Wrote: Whow, Nice darts. Look like Priestleys diamond :thumbup:

(01-06-2016, 06:12 PM)Rodney Wrote: great review, strange darts, look like they been dropped in glitter lol
Thanks guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-06-2016, 06:17 PM)RoudeLéiw Wrote: Great review, like all of those I have read from you  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and really nice looking darts! I was at my local dartshop today and the shop assistant showed me exactly those darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. They look brilliant and have a very interesting feel to them and as you said in your review it kind of remembered me of  sandpaper too (not like real sandpaper that would rub your fingers out but the texture is kind of the same to me). The only question I asked myself about was if those little diamond looking particles that make the grip are going to stay on the barrel for long...?
Cheers!

Yeah I don't really know how well the grip will last, I am hoping they do stay put, I can only guess that they must be glued in some way?

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

+1 for another great review.

A very nice well packaged set of darts. As you mentioned Winmau had an excellent 2016 launch, probably the best of all the launches imo. They seemed to have upped their game which is great.

I too look forward to seeing these in a straight barrel as that grip is interesting.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

(01-06-2016, 06:23 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 06:03 PM)Fred-180 Wrote: Whow, Nice darts. Look like Priestleys diamond :thumbup:

(01-06-2016, 06:12 PM)Rodney Wrote: great review, strange darts, look like they been dropped in glitter lol
Thanks guys! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-06-2016, 06:17 PM)RoudeLéiw Wrote: Great review, like all of those I have read from you  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. and really nice looking darts! I was at my local dartshop today and the shop assistant showed me exactly those darts  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. They look brilliant and have a very interesting feel to them and as you said in your review it kind of remembered me of  sandpaper too (not like real sandpaper that would rub your fingers out but the texture is kind of the same to me). The only question I asked myself about was if those little diamond looking particles that make the grip are going to stay on the barrel for long...?
Cheers!

Yeah I don't really know how well the grip will last, I am hoping they do stay put, I can only guess that they must be glued in some way?

Would be interesting to know really! Could be melted together in some way no idea, but they look great no matter how they are manufactured. Maybe there will be a review on their durability in some time.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Target Perfect Storm 22g  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Great review Darren , I used the RD element6 25g as my match darts for about 3 years what I loved about them was when your hands got sweaty the grip improved
sadly I also found the diamond coating wore down quite quickly and at £80 a pop it was getting pricey to replace them
(01-06-2016, 06:45 PM)jc14 Wrote: +1 for another great review.

A very nice well packaged set of darts.  As you mentioned Winmau had an excellent 2016 launch, probably the best of all the launches imo.  They seemed to have upped their game which is great.

I too look forward to seeing these in a straight barrel as that grip is interesting.

Cheers mate! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yeah I think it was an impressive launch.

(01-06-2016, 06:58 PM)RoudeLéiw Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 06:23 PM)Getagrip Wrote:

Cheers!

Would be interesting to know really! Could be melted together in some way no idea, but they look great no matter how they are manufactured. Maybe there will be a review on their durability in some time.

Probably a manufacturing secret though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(01-06-2016, 06:59 PM)dave2604 Wrote: Great review Darren , I used the RD element6 25g as my match darts for about 3 years what I loved about them was when your hands got sweaty the grip improved  
sadly I also found the diamond coating wore down quite quickly and at £80 a pop it was getting pricey to replace them

Thanks Dave, I think all coatings wear as it is inevitable but they may wear quicker for some than others, I guess if your a very good player getting a lot of close contact then they are going to wear quick, but like Regulatorri was saying in his thread about Anderson who uses a fresh set each month, if the coating of these lasted a decent player for 6 months or so then I guess its not too bad.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Can the sand be rubbed off if you scratch the barrels with your finger?

That would suck if it makes a glittery mess in your dart bag.

There is a reason that crafts people call glitter "The herpes of the arts/crafts world." (since it's next to impossible to clean up/get rid of)
Great Review as always Grip, would like to try the diamond coating in a straight barrel, was gonna gonna give you a +1 but had to take it away for not proof reading the title " Winmau Daimond " lol
Very similar to preistlys would be good to see them side by side
(01-06-2016, 07:34 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Can the sand be rubbed off if you scratch the barrels with your finger?

There is a reason that crafts people call glitter "The herpes of the arts/crafts world." (since it's next to impossible to clean up/get rid of)

Just tried it with my finger nail, it just wore my nail down lol! Could not see any sparkly specs on my finger or nail though

(01-06-2016, 07:36 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Great Review as always Grip, would like to try the diamond coating in a straight barrel, was gonna gonna give you a +1 but had to take it away for not proof reading the title " Winmau Daimond " lol

Cheers!  LOL I had one of those moment were I was thinking a or i first of course I should have just looked at the box, doh!

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(01-06-2016, 07:43 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(01-06-2016, 07:34 PM)Regulatori Wrote: Can the sand be rubbed off if you scratch the barrels with your finger?

Just tried it with my finger nail, it just wore my nail down lol! Could not see any sparkly specs on my finger or nail though

(01-06-2016, 07:36 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Great Review as always Grip, would like to try the diamond coating in a straight barrel, was gonna gonna give you a +1 but had to take it away for not proof reading the title " Winmau Daimond " lol

Cheers!  LOL I had one of those moment were I was thinking a or i first of course I should have just looked at the box, doh!
LOL i can forgive it in youre right up but not in the title haha
Great review Darren! +1 Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I wouldn't mind trying the 22g straight barrel lol.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau MVG Assault Darts Review Getagrip 9 398 03-31-2021, 12:18 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Winmau Steve Beaton Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 9 378 03-25-2021, 05:10 PM
  Winmau Mervyn King Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 13 477 03-17-2021, 03:13 PM
  Winmau Ted Hankey Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 8 391 03-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: thet
  Winmau Joe Cullen Darts Review Getagrip 5 401 03-02-2021, 05:28 PM
  Winmau Willie O'Connor Darts Review Getagrip 12 499 01-15-2021, 05:19 PM
  Winmau Michael van Gerwen Authentic 23g Darts Review Getagrip 41 4,389 10-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Last Post: Richa
  Winmau Navigator 23g darts review best darts bargain ever? Getagrip 99 37,374 07-23-2020, 11:12 AM
Last Post: GONKO
  Winmau Overdrive 24g Darts Review Getagrip 6 1,194 06-12-2020, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Gooddark
  Winmau Mervyn King Gold 22g darts review Getagrip 21 23,171 06-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Mailman Barry