Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Ando made an excellent point in a video that I never put much thought in
I recently watched a Unicorn video where the host asked Gary Anderson how often he switches out his existing darts for a fresh set.
His response, "every month."

His reason actually made a lot of sense.
When you throw a set with a significant grip level, the grip of course is always at the sharpest in the beginning. Over time it starts to mellow out and kind of reaches a plateau and stays the same for a long time. This can take a long time for some darts....sometimes months, sometimes a year depending on heavy you play/practice.

I remember using Barney Phase 3 shark grip for almost a year and ended up winning the Unicorn Razma's in a contest.

The Phase 3 shark grip extends from the nose to the stem...the Razma has the same exact same shark grip except for a small center section similar to the rings on a Barney Phase 2. Both Phase 3s and Razma's share the exact same dimensions, same 95% tungsten, etc... It's obviously the exact same dart except for the minor area in the center.

When throwing the Razma's for the first time, I was shocked at the sharpness of the shark grip...it was REALLY aggressive and would often catch on my fingers while throwing. My well worn Phase 3's were still grippy but the shark grip had flattened out over time. It was a significant difference between the two.

I remembered my Barney's were equally sharp out of the box but after playing for a few months, the grip mellowed out. A worn Phase 3 shark grip almost feels like a Barney Phase 2 or 4 straight out of the box.

Gary's excellent reason for switching out darts every month was to never get accustomed to using a well worn set in case he ever loses them. If I had my well worn set of Barney shark grips, lost them before a big match, and then tried to throw with a new set, I would not even be close with my usual consistency because the grip is so substantially different from wear.

Of course this doesn't apply to smooth darts like Hankey's or a dart with a very mellow grip that will stay the same for years. But it's definitely something to think about if you're throwing a dart with semi-sharp grip...whether it be a Taylor Phase 5, Anderson dart, any of the darts with a Unicorn Hero/Purist grip, all of the shark grip style darts out there, etc.. If your dart has an aggressive grip, this is something to consider.

So here is my point.

If you're at the stage in darts where you've found your perfect dart and don't see yourself changing in a long time, it might be a good time to buy multiple sets and start adding the new sets into your practice rotation.

This will help for 3 reasons...

-You will slowly wear out the other newer sets so they begin to feel like a closer match to your original set. 

-You start to get more comfortable with a newer set and it won't be a total shock to your throw/release in case you do lose your original set.

-If you end up losing one dart from your original set (I've done it), you can add in a dart from one of the newer sets (that's most worn) and even though it won't have the same exact worn grip level, it will at least have a similar feel. Plus you've been playing with the newer sets and have become accustomed to the difference in grip levels.

I know of a few players that own one set of darts that are well worn, refuse to buy another set as back-up, and I know full well they'll will be devastated if they ever happen to lose that original set or lose a single dart from that set.

Just something to ponder and a great point brought up by Anderson.

Here is when he mentions it. Great wisdom from a 2X World Champ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_50L90P...J4eU&t=182
i think he used to switch out his datadart ringed darts for a similar reason. It does make sense especially now that darts are so well match weighted.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great advice for us. The thing I like about the video was noticing the Unicorn flask hanging on the peg board behind them. Gotta have one!
+1 for getting this out to us
i didn't notice the flask before....great spot. a lot of members on here change darts every week, let alone every month lol.
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Nitrotech short
Flights: Standard No.2

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think with the likes of pro players who are getting such close grouping it makes sense to change to a fresh set but look at MVG's darts it looks like he has used the same set for years, not sure if he has though.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

That's what makes me wonder. What happens if MVG loses that set? Is he screwed since they're so worn in? Or does he have multiple sets of these totally abused darts? Or does he have special Dutch machinists that "distress" brand new darts before giving them to him...like when you buy a pair of pre-worn out jeans.
I wonder if his darts all weigh the same still?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

ive experienced this also.. i had 2 similar darts and used only the other set for months.. then i broke one dart and took the set been sitting in a case... i could not throw at all for a while.. then i realised how much the grip affected. totally agree now with rotating sets if you have a couple of same darts!
Best leg 501: 12 darts (180,180,29,112) 
Highest checkout: 164 (T19, T19, Bull)
Darts: Shot! 9ti2 24g & Harrows Elite 24g
Looks like Ando bites his nails in the video.
Kevin a.k.a. "Sniper".  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Wait  a legitimate reason for buying more darts? Wooohoooo
Bulls NL 501 pyramid grip 24g
L Style flights & stems
Unicorn Volute points

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thought process that has helped me PecosJoe 4 832 11-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Dutcho