Darts Buddy

Danger in use of tungsten??
I've been reading about that tungsten is quite a dangerous metal causing cancer and strokes!! Does enyone know about if there are eny health risk in playing with tungsten darts?

Dartboard.
Winmau blade4 dualcore.

Darts
Adrian Lewis gen3. 23g
Shot 803. 24g
Don't see why there would be any problems with tungsten, never heard of this.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
It's probably the beer and cigarettes that goes with tungsten usage.
The only health problem would be if someone started throwing their darts at you instead of the board
(01-06-2016, 09:45 AM)Brings.dk Wrote: I've been reading about that tungsten is quite a dangerous metal causing cancer and strokes!! Does enyone know about if there are eny health risk in playing with tungsten darts?

Newswise — The peer-reviewed journal Environmental Health Perspectives (EHP) today published online a paper reporting that weapons-grade tungsten alloys, newly incorporated into the battlefield munitions of several countries, rapidly cause tumors, then lung cancer, when embedded in rats to emulate shrapnel wounds. 
Concern over the human and environmental health effects of other metals long used in weapons has led many countries to replace depleted uranium (in some armor-penetrating munitions) and lead (In small-caliber ammunition) with various alloys of tungsten. One motivation for such a replacement is widespread public concern about the health and environmental impact of continued use of metals such as uranium and lead, along with the belief that tungsten has only limited toxicity. "However, to our knowledge, none of these militarily relevant tungsten alloys have been tested for potential health effects, particularly as embedded shrapnel," the study authors write.
Rats were implanted with a low dose (4 pellets) or a high dose (20 pellets) of tungsten alloy. Other rats received 20 pellets of nickel, a known carcinogen, or tantalum, an inert control metal. In findings that surprised the researchers, 100% of the rats implanted with tungsten-alloy pellets developed extremely aggressive tumors surrounding the pellets, although tumor growth was slower in rats implanted with lower doses. The tumors then rapidly metastasized to the lungs of the rats, necessitating euthanasia of the animals well before the anticipated end of the study.
I was reading something but it seems to be in more extreme and rare cases that you can get tungsten poisoning. Like drinking it lol.

It is more likely you will have a problem with the nickel I think.
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If you stick it in your body then yeah it will cause problems but I very much doubt its the same as just holding it, tungsten is used in all kinds of things even rings and watch straps but its been used in darts a lot since the early 70's so why dont we hear of all these health scares happening to lots of darters?
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

He have member how can`t use nickel tungsten darts ,because he is very allergic to them . But can he die from it I dony know. Maybe wecan tie barrel to his hand and see what happens ?
180-1(33)

(01-06-2016, 10:46 AM)Getagrip Wrote: If you stick it in your body then yeah it will cause problems but I very much doubt its the same as just holding it, tungsten is used in all kinds of things even rings and watch straps but its been used in darts a lot since the early 70's so why dont we hear of all these health scares happening to lots of darters?

Spot on.

"when embedded in rats to emulate shrapnel wounds"

I certainly wouldn't suggest cutting a hole in your leg to store your darts...

That being said, it might be something for the dart makers out there to pay attention to.  Tungsten shavings would likely get all over the place when making a set of darts.

I think with the amount of pints consumed most of the tungsten would be flushed out
Let's review deceased pro darts players. Are their cause of death related or linked to the said effects reported in that research finding? While the study is on going, either we stop the habit of licking our fingers when throwing or start using brass darts again! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Wow brass darts? Sounds interesting. I'll google it and see what I come up with
I have heard of lead poisoning but I guess any heavy metals can be toxic if consumed.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

You have to love the irony in a study that finds that the main ingredient in something designed to kill people actually kills people. Or at least rats. And no, Troll, I volunteer to not volunteer for that particular assignment. But thanks for thinking of me. :-)
26's so far this year: I've already lost count. :-)

Yes it can be when i throw Tungsten barrels i consume alot of beer lol