Shot Darts

2016 Betway Premier League Field Announced
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

SMITH MAKES DEBUT IN 2016 BETWAY PREMIER LEAGUE

MICHAEL SMITH will make his Betway Premier League debut in 2016 and Robert Thornton returns to the ten-player field for the biggest-ever season in the tournament's history.

Former World Youth Champion Smith sees his rise to eighth in the world rankings, alongside his runs to the Grand Slam of Darts semi-finals and World Championship quarter-finals, rewarded with a coveted place in the £700,000 event.

Reigning champion Gary Anderson, who defeated Michael van Gerwen in the 2015 final at The O2 in London, will join his Dutch rival, Adrian Lewis and six-time Premier League champion Phil Taylor as the four automatic selections for the event.

The ever-popular Raymond van Barneveld, the 2014 Premier League champion and a World Championship semi-finalist this week, is joined by 2015 Premier League semi-finalist Dave Chisnall as Sky Sports Wildcard selections.

Robert Thornton's victory in the World Grand Prix last October sees him return to the Premier League, having previously competed in the tournament in 2013 and 2014.

Former Premier League champion James Wade and flamboyant former World Championship and UK Open finalist Peter Wright complete the ten-player field, with the season set to begin on Thursday February 4 at the First Direct Arena in Leeds.

Play continues across the opening nine weeks before the bottom two players are eliminated following Week Nine's Judgement Night.

The remaining eight players face off once more in the battle for Play-Off places, with Rotterdam's Ahoy Arena set to stage a league night for the first time before the semi-finals and final take place at The O2 in London on Thursday May 19.

Tickets are available via the venue box offices as listed below or via www.pdc.tv/tickets, although some venues have already Sold Out.

2016 Betway Premier League
PDC Order of Merit Top Four

Michael van Gerwen - 2013 Premier League champion
Gary Anderson - 2011 & 2015 Premier League champion
Adrian Lewis - 2011 Premier League finalist
Phil Taylor - Six-time Premier League champion

Wildcard Selections
Peter Wright - 2015 UK Open finalist
James Wade - 2009 Premier League champion
Robert Thornton - 2015 World Grand Prix champion
Michael Smith - Premier League debutant, former World Youth Champion
Raymond van Barneveld - 2014 Premier League champion
Dave Chisnall - 2015 Premier League semi-finalist
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Wow that's an awesome field, looking forward to it starting.
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
smith is going to be awesome in the PL i think this maybe smiths coming of age cant wait for smith anderson Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Hmmm, hope Smith is ready for it - the PL has had negative effects on players like Newton, Hamilton and Painter in recent years.....

No doubt he deserves his shot but I would have liked to have seen Klaasen amongst the field.

Works out well for me though as I really like 5 of them and dont particularly like the other 5, that is all I am saying Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I think it's a good field and the group that I wanted. I was worried Thornton wouldn't be in.
Personally I'm glad klaasen never made it. If he continues through the year and play like he did in the world's then he will do really well, move up the rankings and take a spot next year. Smith has had a great year and flew up the rankings so I think he deserved it. I also think this can do wonders for his game. He has the ability and now he will gain invaluable experience playing against the best and beating them. I think he is good enough that it won't break him.
(01-03-2016, 11:55 PM)REBEL Wrote: Hmmm, hope Smith is ready for it - the PL has had negative effects on players like Newton, Hamilton and Painter in recent years.....

No doubt he deserves his shot but I would have liked to have seen Klaasen amongst the field.

Works out well for me though as I really like 5 of them and dont particularly like the other 5, that is all I am saying  Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think Smith could have waited another year and let him improve.  I would have let Klaasen in (because of the PL night in the Netherlands and that he is a world champion) and replaced Thornton with Smith next year (if needs be).

But it is still a great line up. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

Looks great! I look forward to watching it! Does anyone know when it starts?
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
I'm pleased Thornton is back in but would have preferred to see Klaasen take a spot over Smith - he's an excellent player but his grumpy face is annoying.
Looks a BIG hitting lineup

Lets just hope this doesnt donto Smith what it did to so many before it!
Darts: 25g phase 1 Barney copy (Darts Clearance) 
Stems: DC short
Flights: std 75mc
Board: Winmau Blade 5. 

Best 100 at 20 score: 115 (17/10/18)
Current ave: 95

Please follow my blog:

Blog: https://mydartinglife.blogspot.com

Twitter: lukestacey@mydartinglife

(01-04-2016, 04:30 AM)Titan Wrote: Looks great! I look forward to watching it! Does anyone know when it starts?

Week one is on February 4th @ Leeds
i would have liked to of seen Klaasen in the mix bit of talent there looks like top 10 ranking no randoms
looks good to me and I think Klaasen instead of Thornton would have been better Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Jelle's 2009 Premier League shows really damaged his progress...with a new child on the way he wouldn't be fully focused and could end up on the receiving end week after week again...if he keeps the form going he will be in with a shout again next year....

Let's hope Smith is mentally strong enough if things don't go his way early on
It's a bit hard to get excited about Thornton really. No disrespect intended to him (although it seems a bit disrespectful).

I think this is the lineup it should be though.

Hard to tell if other players have been chewed up by the PL because they are going through are having a slump after a good year or if player elite players each week shatters their confidence...

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
This is one heck of a field, can't wait for it to start. Like mentioned I think Smith is gonna show what he's made of and play very well. Should be an excellent Premier League!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2021 Premier League mc1958 26 1,487 02-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Last Post: mc1958
  2020 Unibet Premier League mc1958 288 14,844 10-16-2020, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Getagrip
  2019 Premier League nixer55 60 2,687 05-25-2019, 02:27 PM
Last Post: nixer55
  Does RvB deserve a Premier League place? leon0677 106 7,149 01-23-2019, 03:17 AM
Last Post: Dan180
  2019 premier league discussion Sultan Pepper 30 3,617 11-30-2018, 03:28 PM
Last Post: gumbo2176
  PDC World Championship field expanded to 96 players vanJupp 64 6,109 11-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Last Post: vanJupp
  2019 Premier League Schedule mc1958 2 951 09-28-2018, 11:58 PM
Last Post: Nucky
  World Series of Darts 2018 dates and players announced mc1958 46 4,507 08-19-2018, 11:47 AM
Last Post: joeriw96
  2018 Betway World Cup of Darts mc1958 189 17,147 06-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Last Post: The Runner
  Premier League Discussion (2018) The G 461 42,771 05-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Roy Post