Darts Buddy

Grip issues
Hi all. First time poster, long time reader/watcher of DN.

I've played for a number of years. My game isn't bad, I'll hit a dozen 180's per year, maybe 100 or so 140's. I ain't scary, but I'll manage a few sub 20 dart games a month.

Last few months, I've been having major issues with my grip. I can't seem to get a good hold of the dart when readying to throw. It will fall out of my hand, or slip on the 'backswing'. 

I hold the dart at the end of my fingertips with my thumb and first 3 fingers and this hasn't changed too much to my knowledge. But, I think a subtle shift in grip has occurred. This problem is driving me nutz Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. (I have played and practiced with the dart held more in the fingers too, not the fingertips - it is consistent but I don't throw as accurately), 

Question: anyone here know how to approach grip from a fundamental view? That is, I'd like to see if I can't build a grip that will work for me that is technically sound, and durable.

This dropping of darts and having them slide in my hand whilst throwing is not good, and is ruining my game and enjoyment of it.

Anyone?

Thanks....
Maybe try a dart with a more aggressive grip like shark grip or purist
Try washing your darts. You can look at using wax also.
What darts are you using, and have you washed your darts recently?
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I use several sets:

Target Precision Voyager 23g
Unicorn RvB Black Phase 5 23g
Unicorn JWade 22g
Unicorn Purist 24g

I've tried some wax, the stuff for counting money. Doesn't work well.

The grips on the darts aren't bad, up to a factor 4 in the case of the Wade's. Maybe I'll try sandpaper :o

I haven't washed any of them lately, will try that.

I was more concerned that I have a fundamental/technical issue that needs to be addressed. Hope not....
Welcome to the forum!!!

Could be that something has changed naturally with your grip and you may not have realised it, I would try the wax as that is a cheap option or Darters Rosin
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
(12-30-2015, 07:40 PM)captcold Wrote: I use several sets:

Target Precision Voyager 23g
Unicorn RvB Black Phase 5 23g
Unicorn JWade 22g
Unicorn Purist 24g

I've tried some wax, the stuff for counting money. Doesn't work well.

The grips on the darts aren't bad, up to a factor 4 in the case of the Wade's. Maybe I'll try sandpaper :o

I haven't washed any of them lately, will try that.

I was more concerned that I have a fundamental/technical issue that needs to be addressed. Hope not....

Try washing the darts first. Use an old toothbrush and hand soap or washing liquid. You'll be surprised what a difference it can make! 

If that fails, try what Getagrip mentioned, or there's one grip product which some folks say works like the devil.

https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_in...s_id=62099
NATURAL DARTS? https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthre...?tid=22147

A beginner - always experimenting and learning. Lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
+1 on washing. Makes a HUGE difference. You would be shocked at the amount of gunk you can find in dart grips...especially if you've messed around with wax.

I picked up a super cheap electric toothbrush that I use to clean my shark grip darts. It makes the darts feel so different and I instantly notice it.

I have a light grip too so I've had the dart slip out of my hand during pull back.

For grippy darts that are similar to what you are shooting now, check out....
Aden Kirk's Unicorn 22g.
It's a Barney Phase 1 with a Phil Taylor Purist grip.
I did a review on them in the past.
I compared the 22g Kirk's to Barney 23g Phase 1s.
https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=9857

The Kirks are now available in natural colors too for cheaper.
https://www.puredarts.co.uk/unicorn-glob...22gms.html

You can still get the gold at other shops.

My other favorite is Bull's Sharks. Barney used to use these and modeled his Phase 3 after them. They are sharp but lose that crazy grip within a week. When I say grippy, they are SUPER grippy when new. After a week or so, they mellow out and are still very grippy but more comfortable.
Not a of places sell them though. Hate having to put up a DC link but that's the only place I know of.
https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?cPath=9_24_25
You want the version that has the Bull's design at the rear of the dart.
thanks for the advice.

I own a couple of sets of Powercore darts as well, super grippy, but I can't seem to find the right balance point for them. Although they are 23g, they feel 'light' and can be thrown almost as a flick. I like them, but they don't seem to have a good weight distribution in them

(https://www.powercore-darts.co.uk/projec...one-steel/)
my wife has the same issue. when she grips it tightly they go all over the place and when she grips is lightly there are times where it doesn't even make it to the board. what worked for her was to hold a finger over the point of the dart. you don't have to grip it there, as its only there to support and keep the dart balanced in your hand. it took her a while to get used to it but 2 months later she hasn't missed the board since!
Try the Brunswick grip stuff red dragon sell its brilliant
(12-30-2015, 04:53 PM)captcold Wrote: Hi all. First time poster, long time reader/watcher of DN.

I've played for a number of years. My game isn't bad, I'll hit a dozen 180's per year, maybe 100 or so 140's. I ain't scary, but I'll manage a few sub 20 dart games a month.

Last few months, I've been having major issues with my grip. I can't seem to get a good hold of the dart when readying to throw. It will fall out of my hand, or slip on the 'backswing'. 

I hold the dart at the end of my fingertips with my thumb and first 3 fingers and this hasn't changed too much to my knowledge. But, I think a subtle shift in grip has occurred. This problem is driving me nutz Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. (I have played and practiced with the dart held more in the fingers too, not the fingertips - it is consistent but I don't throw as accurately), 

Question: anyone here know how to approach grip from a fundamental view? That is, I'd like to see if I can't build a grip that will work for me that is technically sound, and durable.

This dropping of darts and having them slide in my hand whilst throwing is not good, and is ruining my game and enjoyment of it.

Anyone?

Thanks....

The only question I have and the only one that matters is do you have soft hands or hard/dry hands like someone that works with their hands for a living would have vs someone who sits in an office? What happened to me is i have such soft hands that my darts had TOO MUCH grip and i was losing control of the darts. So if i had to guess its not how you hold the darts bc obv you hold them that way bc you feel comfortable like that. Your issue i think is the texture on the barrel of your darts. try to find a dart with little to no extra grip. no ridges, grooves, etc. just a sleek barrel and see how that feels. if your hands are really hard on the other hand then you may need a dart with more grip. Most dart websites list the grips on scale of 1-5, 5 meaning the most grip. i would check that out. if you need a link to a site that sorts their darts by grip i can link you to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone issues with dart falling below target? dj_stat8 5 694 04-21-2018, 03:17 AM
Last Post: Baloos
  Height issues Carpy 6 663 07-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Last Post: Luke Gray
  Hand issues Troll 10 1,332 11-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Last Post: moorey
  Elbow issues LorenzoParedes26scored 13 4,421 04-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Last Post: LorenzoParedes26scored