Target Darts.

Bigger Than Standard
Quite awhile ago I messed around with some Unicorn Big Wing XL flights.  I settled on standard Target Visions and have played those for quite some time.  The Big Wings were tossed in the corner of the spares box and have sat patiently ever since as I messed around with other standard flights and numerous smaller than standard flights looking for better performance.   I enjoy tinkering with my various darts and fell over the Big Wings tonight and tossed them on my 21gr Barney 5a's that I have been struggling with lately.  They immediately snapped to attention and my groupings and accuracy showed quite an improvement.  I'd love to leave them on but the things are so friggin' big will they cause issues with deflections, bounce offs, etc?   Do you use these or any other bigger than standard flights and what are your opinions?  Unicorn Super Trues have definitely caught my attention now.  Maybe bigger is better for me at this timeGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.  Thanks.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

Super trues are smaller than big wings. Beware! They are a well made, if pricey flight, but are smaller than normal flights. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The unicorn site gives a definition and code of the size of their flights if in doubt.
Unicorn standard, harrows and target pro vision are smaller than normal standard.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

If I use straight barrels I use big flights as they let the dart fly better, but my main darts are phase 5 and I use the dxm flights. They sit flat for me which is perfect. They don't last long though, get chewed up quite easily.
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
(12-30-2015, 03:05 AM)jc14 Wrote: Super trues are smaller than big wings. Beware! They are a well made, if pricey flight, but are smaller than normal flights. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The unicorn site gives a definition and code of the size of their flights if in doubt.
Unicorn standard, harrows and target pro vision are smaller than normal standard.

Super Trues = #6 which are a similar size to Harrows Marathon Target Vision, but all are in some way smaller than the original standards,
I use big wing flights not the xl version and they are fine. I guess there is more to hit but they are flying really well for me which is more important to me than anything else
Darts: 22g Darts Clearance 
Shafts: Archers Vice Grip Medium
Flights: RD Standard 

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Once again the definition of "standard" causes issues. I've compared multiple times a standard Target flight vs multiple other brands of standard flights and the differences in shape and overall surface area are easily seen. The other point being we sometimes forget or only think about going down in size from "standard" option. I've messed with DXM, fantail, kite, heart, and a couple of others with none of them performing better than the "standard". Never really thought of going bigger. I've ordered some Harrow's MaxAir flights to see how they work. Supposedly the same width as a standard, just longer. The Unicorn SuperTrue look interesting with what appears to be the same shape, but they are quite expensive to say the least and as usual Unicorns web page doesn't really give much info. My guess is fact that larger flight stabilizes my dart quicker and darts land with tail only marginally higher. Suspect flaws in my grip or throw that helps a lot overall. All in all hope others can use this little "discovery" to maybe get better performance on their darts by going to a larger flight. Maybe................
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

(12-30-2015, 02:51 PM)AD18 Wrote: Once again the definition of "standard" causes issues.  I've compared multiple times a standard Target flight vs multiple other brands of standard flights and the differences in shape and overall surface area are easily seen.  The other point being we sometimes forget or only think about going down in size from "standard" option.  I've messed with DXM, fantail, kite, heart, and a couple of others with none of them performing better than the "standard".  Never really thought of going bigger.  I've ordered some Harrow's MaxAir flights to see how they work.  Supposedly the same width as a standard, just longer.  The Unicorn SuperTrue look interesting with what appears to be the same shape, but they are quite expensive to say the least and as usual Unicorns web page doesn't really give much info.  My guess is fact that larger flight stabilizes my dart quicker and darts land with tail only marginally higher.  Suspect flaws in my grip or throw that helps a lot overall.  All in all hope others can use this little "discovery" to maybe get better performance on their darts by going to a larger flight.  Maybe................

Have you/do you alter the stem length? I find the changing of stems to longer/ shorter has more effect than flight size, now with stems of lengths between short/midi/medium the changes are more subtle, but of late I always go for stem length change rather than flight size change first. You only require 1 set of each length for test purposes 5 sets  in total.
I just call them small or normal standard, kind of defeats the name though when there is no "STANDARD"!
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Indeed I do change shaft lengths and agree that they have more impact on how the dart lands for me than flight size IF you compare with the exact same brand and size of flight. I also learned that different manufacturers shaft lengths vary as well. A Unicorn Gripper medium shaft is a few mm's longer than a Target Pro Grip medium, makes a difference. Could not agree more with Getagrip on the need to "standardize" the "standard" flight to overall surface area possibly. I don't mind experimenting with the various components, but would be nice to compare apples to apples on a consistent basis.
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

I suppose the 'standard' refers to the shape of the flight to distinguish it from pear or kite etc.
It would be helpful if companies and retailers label them as 'full size standard' like amazon flights or small standard.
Currently throwing 20g Wades badly at an Eclipse Pro

I have found that I can't throw anything longer than a medium shaft. Since I have gone considerably lighter in my dart weights, I find that the short shafts work better for me with teardrop flights. Everything else seems to pull the tail down, or causes my shot to be way off.
Darts in Use:
STEEL
League/Match Set: Voks 22g EL-C Crossover
Backup match set: Dynasty 20g Fallon Sherrock Soft tips (w/ Fit Point conversion points)
Home Board: Blade 4 Dual Core
SOFT
Match Set: Katana Kokutou Hisyou 17.5g  Softtips. (My principle soft tip set)
Backup Match Set: Bull's Mamba 97 16.5g
Home Board: Gran Board II

Well, put in a fair bit of time this last few days messing around with larger flights.  Specifically a set of Unicorn Big Wing XL's.  Tried them on a couple of dart sets and on my Barney 21gr 5a's they worked like magic.  Whole different dart flight than my former Target Visions.  Stabilizes dart VERY quickly and thus accuracy and groupings were far better.  They did not have as much of a dramatic effect on my 22gr Whitlocks, but improvement was noted.  My main concern of deflections and bounce offs was not warranted.  It appears as if the Unicorn flight material is relatively "flexible" compared to the more rigid Targets and the flights appeared of bend a lot more and had little to no affect on collisions.  Plus the Barney 5a's slender barrels sneak past the flights quite nicely I expect.  This was a surprise.  I'm still waiting for the Harrow's Max Airs to show up, but unless they show equal to or better performance the XL's are my go to flight from now on on the Barney's.  I also messed around with some Unicorn Standard flights and they too worked better than the Targets on both sets I tested with.  In comparison the standard Unicorns were a wee wider than the Targets and both dart sets worked better with them installed.  The Whitlocks worked better with the standard Unicorns than the Targets and the XL's.  So in conclusion be prepared to test different size and material flights on your darts to see what works best with that set of darts.  I actually kind of enjoyed messing around with the setups and too see what happened.  Only problem was I have quite a few sets of Target flights, but only one set of Unicorn standards, and two of the XL's.  Got to order a batch nowGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. So go ahead and don't be afraid to go bigger than standardGuests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

I once had a set of flights that were amazing. They were HUGE and the darts went straight as a die. Unfortunately you couldnt see anything within an inch of where the prevous dart landed and that was if you were lucky. They were unbranded and were shaped more like a square on its point. No idea why I got them to this day. They were so thick they were also indestructable

Noj
Darts are custom made 19g, made for me by David at Double Dee Darts. Great bloke, highly recommended.

Family is the most important thing in my life Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

54 years old with a body prematurely turning into a corpse

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Winmau mega standard flights B2B180 3 210 01-04-2021, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Spangle
  Standard embossed flights? Hazza 14 449 05-08-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: rich345
  Inbetween standard and kite? B2B180 16 946 02-28-2020, 12:06 PM
Last Post: B2B180
  Standard Flights: Quick review/opinions JP Ahinko 14 1,206 08-28-2019, 01:06 AM
Last Post: thurgood107
  Is anyone using punched flights on bog standard nylon stems? skinnygav 13 1,396 10-29-2018, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Little al
  Cosmo Standard vs. Shape... Great White North 12 2,740 02-07-2018, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Great White North
  Cutting Standard Flights To A Customised Shape. WizyDarts 13 3,066 02-02-2018, 01:05 AM
Last Post: WizyDarts
  L-Style Standard Solid Black Gada 34 5,257 01-29-2018, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Spencerdl
  Slightly smaller than Standard? brenthahn 13 2,420 05-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Last Post: JohnL.
  Faster than Standard? DanGoldsmith180 22 4,194 01-14-2016, 01:18 AM
Last Post: DanGoldsmith180