Target Darts.

Winmau Ted Hankey 14g darts
What better way to celebrate Christmas and the run up to the new year than with a compendium of jo$handaz reviews? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Anyway as part of my giant Crimbo prezzie I caved in and got myself some 14g Hankeys! Been wanting to try them for a while and I finally get to today.

The darts

They come in a standard Winmau pack with slide-off plastic cover:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Included is a Winmau checkout card:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Inside the pack is the hard case with the darts inside with a point protector (I got Storms fitted into mine):

The whole setup consists of barrels, aluminium re-grooved stems and Ted Hankey signature flights!

Here's a closer look at the barrels.

These are completely smooth but lovely to look at! Storm points really do complete the look IMO. But how do they measure up?

Length

Width (widest point)

Width (barrel end)

Depth

Now this is a weird one. The furthest I could get my calipers in was this:

This surprised me, as in Cy's review of the same darts he shows they're drilled out a lot more. Upon further inspection they're actually drilled out to at least 35mm! So yes, they are very drilled out. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Weights

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Two within .01 and another .06 off isn't bad, especially considering they've been repointed.

Weight of one re-grooved aluminium stem:

And one Rhino signature flight:

And full supplied setup weight:

Perfect for me then. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Balance

Balance points as barrel only and with stem:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Slightly front-weighted without, middle with setup then.

Grip

I gripped these a lot more centrally than I thought I would!

The grip on these is quite abundant, for a smooth barrel. I'd give it a level 4 out of 10 grip, say low-medium.

How they fly

With the supplied setup they landed quite tail up:

But I don't like aluminium stems and how they rattle! (I fear I may have become Larry slightly. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.)

So I swapped them out for some Target Pro Grip Spin stems:

And then all was good again. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Scores on the doors

Looks: 9.5/10. Very lovely. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Match weighting: 8.5/10. 1 being .06 off and the other .01 off is good but it drags this down a bit.
Value: 7/10. £24 base cost, and £5 for storms makes £30. A bit pricey then but nothing too bad as it's Christmas hey? Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Suitability for me: 7/10. The lack of material grip is a bit weird for me to get used to but it's okay.
How nice to throw: 8.5/10. These can be a bit on/off for me but they feel good enough to throw. 

Final score: 8/10. I wasn't disappointed by these but I'm just not used to them yet, and I guess that brings the score to here. Definitely a set to try out though and if you don't like them you'll have no problem selling them here I'm sure - fairly confident they go like wildfire! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
Good review mate, tried them heavier but too front loaded for me. They feel great though +1 from me
Current Board 
Gladiator 3 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore black flights, Mission black points and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
Good review. I've got 2 sets. The normal and atomised ones. Lovely darts
Twitter - @OH_THAT_DAVE

Instagram - @OH_THAT_DAVE
Hankeys look so good with storm points! I miss my 14g set Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Might try these ones, but heavier.
Good review !
Thanks for share Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Valencia/Spain

Good review!! I played some of the best darts in my life with these darts. One of the most highly liked set of darts from everything I read on dart forums. It looks like your Storm points were fitted perfectly. Enjoy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Great review Josh! Had some Hankey darts in a heavier weight but never got on too well with them, I think I have a lighter set somewhere too but quite intrigued to try that weight also as the way they are drilled it could make the balance just right for my front grip. I picked up my Talisman 90 yesterday and was throwing them for about 40 mins while waiting for my lift. Played very well with them and have been thinking of doing a re-design with a more drilled out barrel to see how it works.

+1 for review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(12-25-2015, 04:02 PM)ChrisTheFish Wrote: Good review mate, tried them heavier but too front loaded for me. They feel great though +1 from me

Cheers Chris Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I find the 14s are quite central, if slightly front loaded. Maybe the heavier weights shift it to the front, I dunno?

(12-25-2015, 04:29 PM)The Egg Wrote: Good review. I've got 2 sets. The normal and atomised ones. Lovely darts

Absolutely lovely, yeah. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I think the general consensus is that the silver-s are better though. A few people I've seen say the don't like the atomised for some reason?

(12-25-2015, 04:31 PM)Titan Wrote: Hankeys look so good with storm points! I miss my 14g set Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

True Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. I bet you would, they are quite lovely darts.

(12-26-2015, 12:50 AM)Cyanide Wrote: Good review!! I played some of the best darts in my life with these darts. One of the most highly liked set of darts from everything I read on dart forums. It looks like your Storm points were fitted perfectly. Enjoy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers, Cy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yep, Storms look perfectly fitted to me, and agreed on the almost-universal praise. I can see why Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

(12-26-2015, 11:08 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Great review Josh! Had some Hankey darts in a heavier weight but never got on too well with them, I think I have a lighter set somewhere too but quite intrigued to try that weight also as the way they are drilled it could make the balance just right for my front grip. I picked up my Talisman 90 yesterday and was throwing them for about 40 mins while waiting for my lift. Played very well with them and have been thinking of doing a re-design with a more drilled out barrel to see how it works.

+1 for review Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Cheers Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. Yeah, I'd go for it. I've seen many comments where people say "oh, I throw 21/22g and these fly amazing, even though they're so light!". It helps me that I throw around that weight anyway but 14g Hankeys are certainly a set that you have to try to appreciate how nice they are Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

"And the devil did grin; for his darling sin is pride that apes humility." - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Current setup:

Cosmo Juggler Queen 2nd 400 (18g) + One80 Reflex conversion points
Cosmo Carbon #8 locked stem
Cosmo Fit Flight Juggler yellow (ocean design)

High checkout: 124 (T20, T14, D11, steeltip)
Best 501 leg: 20 darts
thanks Josh Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

(12-26-2015, 11:08 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Great review Josh!  Had some Hankey darts in a heavier weight but never got on too well with them, I think I have a lighter set somewhere too but quite intrigued to try that weight also as the way they are drilled it could make the balance just right for my front grip.  I picked up my Talisman 90 yesterday and was throwing them for about 40 mins while waiting for my lift.  Played very well with them and have been thinking of doing a re-design with a more drilled out barrel to see how it works.

Re do the Talisman with grooves where the smooth part is i love the darts but my thumbs goes on the smooth part lol
(12-26-2015, 08:24 PM)Crusher17 Wrote:
(12-26-2015, 11:08 AM)Getagrip Wrote: Great review Josh!  Had some Hankey darts in a heavier weight but never got on too well with them, I think I have a lighter set somewhere too but quite intrigued to try that weight also as the way they are drilled it could make the balance just right for my front grip.  I picked up my Talisman 90 yesterday and was throwing them for about 40 mins while waiting for my lift.  Played very well with them and have been thinking of doing a re-design with a more drilled out barrel to see how it works.

Re do the Talisman with grooves where the smooth part is i love the darts but my thumbs goes on the smooth part lol

Naff off!  I'm a frontie I dont care about you bloody middlers LOL!

I think for me its the grip at the front that seems to work so just want to try modifying that but may make it so it repeats front, middle and rear but not sure it would fly the same.  Thats why these pros are lucky to be able to change things until they have it right.  You could always get some grip added to the middle though.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

I have a set also 14g A , Nice grip but no way is there enough weight . So many Darts fell out in the first hour tryout.
But the good Thing I found was going back to 26g Darts, was how Little effort was needed to throw them.
Maybe I will use them for arm Training but never for match. (shame)
(01-12-2016, 02:52 PM)Aussie Kev Wrote: I have a set also 14g A , Nice grip but no way is there enough weight . So many Darts fell out in the first hour tryout.
But the good Thing I found was going back to 26g Darts, was how Little effort was needed to throw them.
Maybe I will use them for arm Training but never for match. (shame)

Darts fell out? How?
(01-12-2016, 05:31 PM)Cyanide Wrote: Darts fell out? How?

Dropted to the floor, did not hold in the board,
Not to be a smart ass, (gravity)
I have taken the advice and have Gold storm Points , just waiting on the repointer. To Exchange the originals.
One80 G2. if you ask. No promblem with any other Darts. Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
That is over 20sets. 20g -26g

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Winmau Ted Hankey Special Edition Darts Review Getagrip 8 391 03-08-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: thet
  WINMAU Ted Hankey 24g *NEW ONYX DART* tiddler.tec 7 3,258 02-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Last Post: mc1958