Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

Zulu Review - 23g Defender by Red Dragon
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girs, Children of all ages........

Welcome to my first ever review and today I will be taking a look at the 23 gram Defender by Red Dragon.

These darts are very much on the cheap side, but as I am wanting to try out different grip types and barrel sizes, I didn't really want to splash the cash until I really know what feels right for my throw.

Like I said these darts are cheap at only £11.90 ( +£1.50 p&p ), but here is what you get for you money:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

As you can see from the close up look at the dart, it has a buttress grip which is tapered from the front of the barrel to the rear. 
The widest part of the barrel comes in at 7.7mm and tapers down to 6.2mm at the rear.
The length of the barrel is 48.3mm.

The buttress grip itself is very grippy, so if like me you like an aggressive grip, you won't be disappointed.

With the balance test, these are very much a front heavy dart and this is something that was very noticeable when I was throwing them.
My natural grip would have my thumb over the last two buttress grooves as I am by nature a rear gripper. The problem when throwing from this position was that the dart was very unbalanced and like to nose dive into the board. This meant that my consistency ended up all over the place because I was always over compensating on the next throw to try and get the dart to go where I was aiming.

I have now switched to a middle grip with these darts and they just feel so much better, so if you are a rear gripper you may find them difficult to get to grips with. I'm sure if I did stick with a rear grip I would get there in the end, but it just didn't feel right.

With using a middle grip the dart felt so much more balanced and the flight of it was a hell of a lot more smoother for me, landing in the board at a nice angle:

I still need to throw these darts a lot more and also experiment with different shafts and flights to find the best set up to suit me, but as a first impression I am happy with how they are performing.

One thing I would like to point out is that they do feel a lot heavier than 23g when throwing them and it would be interesting to see exactly what they weigh, but unfortunately I don't have any scales to measure them.

With that being said, I am happy overall with how they perform for such a cheap dart. Like I said earlier, the grip is fantastic and with a middle grip they feel very well balanced.
Nice skin rippers Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
+1 for your review
may all the doubles be with you

Nice review
Thanks guys, much appreciated <3
Looks pretty aggressive but they seem to work so why not?
(12-16-2015, 09:48 PM)SlingBlade Wrote: Looks pretty aggressive but they seem to work so why not?

The grip is aggressive, but this is something that I like in a dart.
Awesome review! +1
Excellent work on the review. They sure do look grippy and I'd imagine the shape adds to the grip. For anyone that likes an aggressive grip these look like they would fit the bill for that
=========================================================================================
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

Thats great Zula, good to see a new member reviewing! +1

Looks a very good dart for that price if you need something grippy Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Thanks for the nice feedback guys, it is really appreciated and I will have another review up in the next couple of days.

After spending more time playing with these darts, I find the grip to aggressive to be honest and usually end up having at least 1 dart out of 6 sticking when trying to release them.
I always thought that I would really like an aggressive grip, but from playing with these I have found something out about my own game which is always a good thing I guess.
Well at least you now know, but I used to have a dislike for such aggressive grips too but I have found that in the last year I have been able to throw such darts without the same issues I once had, I guess my throw/grip/release has improved though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

dear zulu ninja,

im from holland so i can not good speak english,
but i have a question:

i have seen your review about de defenders 23gram ( red dragon )
i have sell this dart.but now it is out of stock
do you want to sell your darts please?
i will pay you right.

please contact me
chrismaassen18@gmail.com

Thanks
A lot of dart for very little money,
Match DartsUnicorn Gary Anderson Phase 4, 25g

"Nil Satis Nisi Optimum"

(12-16-2015, 09:43 PM)Zulu Ninja Wrote: dear zulu ninja,

im from holland so i can not good speak english,
but i have a question:

i have seen your review about de defenders 23gram ( red dragon )
i have sell this dart.but now it is out of stock
do you want to sell your darts please?
i will pay you right.

please contact me
chrismaassen18@gmail.com

Thanks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red Dragon Inferno 24 Gram Review dmccormick94 13 4,874 05-01-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Viking