Japanese Quality Darts and Dart Accessories shop.

How do you decide?
I have read Dirty G’s guide to buying darts and have done well by not buying many sets.  I have been able to determine the weight and style that work better than the rest for me.  Now, after trying stems and flights I have narrowed it down to one type of flight with two different size shafts, on two different sets of darts.

My question is how do you decide which set of darts and stems is the one you use on any given night.  I have found myself scoring well with both sets and setups but having problems hitting that double to go out.  Yes, I also know it is mostly my skill level but I have two sets of darts and 2 setups for each dart set that seem to be equal during league and practice so far this season.

I would like to concentrate on one set and setup hoping to get better on those doubles.  However, I don’t know how to go about evaluating each set and setup other then the practice sessions I have done.  I have tried practicing four days in a row using only one set and setup each day. The practice consisted of flight schools A1 and A2 routines and by the end of the week there is not much difference in the accuracy level in any one of the four that I can see.

So is there any other guide that some of you use to help you decide on the set and setup if they are very close to being equal?
(12-15-2015, 06:22 AM)trekbowl300 Wrote: I have read Dirty G’s guide to buying darts and have done well by not buying many sets.  I have been able to determine the weight and style that work better than the rest for me.  Now, after trying stems and flights I have narrowed it down to one type of flight with two different size shafts, on two different sets of darts.

My question is how do you decide which set of darts and stems is the one you use on any given night.  I have found myself scoring well with both sets and setups but having problems hitting that double to go out.  Yes, I also know it is mostly my skill level but I have two sets of darts and 2 setups for each dart set that seem to be equal during league and practice so far this season.

I would like to concentrate on one set and setup hoping to get better on those doubles.  However, I don’t know how to go about evaluating each set and setup other then the practice sessions I have done.  I have tried practicing four days in a row using only one set and setup each day. The practice consisted of flight schools A1 and A2 routines and by the end of the week there is not much difference in the accuracy level in any one of the four that I can see.

So is there any other guide that some of you use to help you decide on the set and setup if they are very close to being equal?

50 darts at bull.  Both 25 and bull count for one.  Pick the one that gives a higher number.  Do this several times, over several days, take averages for each if you like.  If they are the same or off by one/two points, it does not matter. If one is obviously better, like 10-20% more, you know what to do.

Or, choose the one you prefer to throw.
I have two sets of darts: an old one from 1995 and a new set I bought a few months back. When I decided I could throw the new set then that was it, it's the set I use.

Personally I want a set up that I can throw and then from there it's down to practice. I need to commit to the set and not chop and change every time I have a bad evening.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(12-15-2015, 06:46 AM)Banz Wrote: I have two sets of darts: an old one from 1995 and a new set I bought a few months back.  When I decided I could throw the new set then that was it, it's the set I use.

Personally I want a set up that I can throw and then from there it's down to practice.  I need to commit to the set and not chop and change every time I have a bad evening.

Welcome to a Nutz Life,,,,,,,)
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
I mess around with multiple sets all the time and understand your confusion so to speak. What I usually do is to analyze a head to head comparison. I either play 5-6 games of solo 301 with each set or do a head to head comparison on A1 flight school. Do an adequate warm up with each set on the bull to make it equal for both sets. Count darts to play a full game of double in, double out of 301. I found glaring differences in hitting doubles between 2 sets. Scoring once in was almost identical, but hitting doubles showed a big difference. Problem solved for me. I do see changes from time to time on which set I use as my match darts and attest that to slight flaws or differences in my throw. But once I find which ones work best I try and stay with them for awhile. It's kind of fun messing around trying to figure it out as well for me. Best of luck.
Target Raymond Van Barneveld 9Zero 26gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 2 25gr
Unicorn Raymond Van Barneveld Phase 5a 24gr Natural
Unicorn Phase 3 24gr
Unicorn Keegan Brown 22g

Winmau Blade 5

I've got several sets as most do. If I'm feeling like I want to go back to a set that I haven't used in a few weeks I'll throw a few at a mark and then throw the other set at the same mark. The one that feels better and makes the mark more consistently is the one I use. Most often it's the set I've become most used to throwing. I don't have the luxury of having a shop close by to test out darts before I make the purchase so have quite a few sets I've tried and now they are collecting dust in my collection.
I have done the games of 301 playing with both sets like a match and again no clear choice as both have good and bad games.  One day great the next just the opposite.  I have not tried the 50 bull routine so that may be the next practice trying both sets.

I have also decided to try the doubles/bulls routine because that may help determine if the sets are different or that I just may need the practice on those 2 targets to get better no matter which set of darts.

Any other suggestions?
When you play, do you feel confident because you know you have a back up set in your dart case? And do you switch darts at the middle of the game?

If yes- that's the problem. More related to confidence!
Interesting thought because when I practice just before the league starts, I will try both sets and decide then which set I will use during league that night.  
I have not as of yet switched sets during the league because I get used to the feel and would not be able to use the other set easily.

What I would prefer to do is know this is the set I should stay with for 95% of my practice and league games.  The other set will be just in case a point breaks or something I can’t fix at that time.

It is this deciding of which set to stay with because I don’t want to get to the “what if” point that the other set would have been better.  Unless that is what is happening and I just don’t realize it.

If this is so then I am just back to making a choice and staying with it for the long run and see what happens.  Maybe this is why I am looking for a helpful way to give me the confidence that I am picking the best set.  Better yet maybe I should just blame Getagrip for selling me the Talisman set of darts which now work just as good as the set I was using, and caused my decision problems (LOL).

Thanks for the thoughts.
What are the 2 sets that you are trying to decide between?
The main thing for me would be what one feels more comfortable to hold and throw - if there is even the slightest difference then that would be enough. It's not easy, but good luck
=========================================================================================
Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Darts Setup: 23g DPC Extreme Performance, Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Target Vision 100 Standard Flights, 35mm Gold CD Mk3 Points
Previous Darts Setup: 23g DPC Gun Metal Elite, Medium Black Target Pro Grip Stems, Standard Black V180 Flights, 30mm Black Grooved Storm Points

I have always felt that the decision of what to throw in a match is one to be made before leaving home, that way you will stop thinking could have, should have, would have and just play with what's in your case.
For me the less I think the better my game, thinking is for practice time and the clearer your mind the more comfortable your match will be
Current Board 
Blade 5 with Corona Surround and Unicorn number ring
Darts
Modified Unicorn Striker with RD medium sparkle stems, hardcore  charcoal flights and Target titanium stem rings   

Playing 40 years on and off and still barely average
The two sets are both 22g one is the Talisman set sold here and the other is the Joe Cullen golden Unicorn dart.  The design grips and feel are completely different, but the diameter and length are a very close match.  However, I can use either one and have no problems once I start using any particular set.

When I have tried using both sets in a 301 practice games one set always seems to do better for that day.  The next day it may be the other set.

In league games I hit many of my targets with either set but I would like to concentrate on just one set to get better at doubling out.
The switching sets during practice and setups has not been making me any better at doubles.  I think it is time to pick one and see how it goes.

I like the idea of picking one set before I even get to the league game, I will see if I can actually do it without thinking about it too much.  Yes, very mental issue.  I just need that one aa-ha moment or something specific to help me decide.
(12-17-2015, 06:32 PM)trekbowl300 Wrote: I like the idea of picking one set before I even get to the league game, I will see if I can actually do it without thinking about it too much.  Yes, very mental issue.  I just need that one aa-ha moment or something specific to help me decide.

It's not the darts, it's the darts player. 

If you worry about failing to pick the "right" dart and are worried that "Maybe I should've brought the other darts", that is a lack of confidence, pure and simple.  I've done that.  

Now, I use a set of darts that I like to throw, that are comfortable to hold and throw, so I know that if anything goes wrong, it is ME.  I am playing almost as good as I would like to.  Why am I not reaching my goals?  That is the mental game... not the darts.

Once you stop fretting over the darts you use and accept the level of skill that you currently have, you will begin to improve.  You will find ways to address issues in your game and fix them.  Bear in mind: Skill is not purely mechanical. It is probably 90+% mental.

So, you have to stop putting obstacles, like dart selection,  in your way.  Pick one, work on your game and get out of your own way -- let your skill out.  You will be surprised.  I would bet you are actually a better player than you think you are.

Take a video, see for yourself.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't Decide What Throw To Go With Hellion 15 1,027 12-02-2017, 06:15 AM
Last Post: geoffox23