Darts Buddy

Proper mindset for better scoring power
I used to be the kind of player when throwing at the T20 I would just be thinking throw straight darts, throw straight darts, throw straight darts. But because of this I was trying to force the darts to go straight instead of just letting it flow. 

However, I decided to just put all my concentration into hitting the T20 and because that had all my concentration and I wasn't making myself nervous about throwing straight, I actually started to throw all 3 straight consistently. I went from someone who scored scores of 26 22 41 and scores like this to someone who hits scores of 60 59 100 consistently just by changing my mindset when throwing. 

So I would recommend when throwing at the T20 that instead of putting all your focus into throwing straight just focus on hitting the target and like mine, your darts should go straight and hit better scores much more consistently.
Hope this helps!
Sounds simple but its true Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
The problem I have been having when throwing at the T20, is when the first or ( more often the case ) the 2nd dart goes into the 5, the nest dart always follows.

I don't know if I should try and take a little positive out of this when the 3rd dart follows the 2nd into the 5 and think, well at least my rhythm is consistent.
All about confidence this. Whenever things aren't going too well, I always think to myself big 20's and go everywhere but when I'm feeling good, I think trebles and they go a lot closer. All about a positive mindset.
Youth darts player proudly sponsored by Unicorn Darts. 
#TheWinningDouble
My Darts!

(12-14-2015, 08:04 PM)Zulu Ninja Wrote: The problem I have been having when throwing at the T20, is when the first or ( more often the case ) the 2nd dart goes into the 5, the nest dart always follows.

I don't know if I should try and take a little positive out of this when the 3rd dart follows the 2nd into the 5 and think, well at least my rhythm is consistent.

Try repeating the throw of the first dart *exactly*.  You may find that the first dart was tentative and after relaxing, you find that you're really aiming at the 5..... The danger here is that the first dart may have been snatched/short armed, whatever is the opposite of having a full follow through.
As well as the "follow a bad dart with an identical dart" problem I sometimes get it where it appears that a correction to a badly throw first dart leads to an over corrected third dart (e.g. dart one will be low and in S1, dart two will be near the T20, dart three will be high and in S5 so that all three darts are evenly spaced and in a straight line).

But to the OP, I agree that for me if I'm thinking "throw straight" then I've already lost. If I find myself having to force myself to throw straight then I need to perform a technical reset and have a couple of conscious throws to get things going again.

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(12-15-2015, 05:02 AM)Banz Wrote: As well as the "follow a bad dart with an identical dart" problem I sometimes get it where it appears that a correction to a badly throw first dart leads to an over corrected third dart (e.g. dart one will be low and in S1, dart two will be near the T20, dart three will be high and in S5 so that all three darts are evenly spaced and in a straight line).

But to the OP, I agree that for me if I'm thinking "throw straight" then I've already lost.  If I find myself having to force myself to throw straight then I need to perform a technical reset and have a couple of conscious throws to get things going again.

It depends on what happened.  The odd "straighten it out" to clean up a bad throw is ok.

Overcorrection is pretty common.  If you are very far off on the first dart, you might consider getting off the oche and starting fresh.  You might consider "running for cover".  When you do adjust and get the second dart right, you run the danger of repeating the adjustment, not repeating the shot.  Hence the straight line through the target.
(12-15-2015, 05:10 AM)BigE Wrote: It depends on what happened.  The odd "straighten it out" to clean up a bad throw is ok.

Overcorrection is pretty common.  If you are very far off on the first dart, you might consider getting off the oche and starting fresh.  You might consider "running for cover".  When you do adjust and get the second dart right, you run the danger of repeating the adjustment, not repeating the shot.  Hence the straight line through the target.

Yeah that's me. I have thought about stepping out or going to 19's when in the "overcorrection" situation. I guess I need to try a few things against T4 and see what works.

Personally, I don't want to start a visit thinking "throw straight" (with throwing straight being a result) but I recognise that there are times I need to consciously think about the technique required to throw straight. I don't know if that makes sense the way it does in my head! I'm trying to say that sometimes I need to consciously think about the process as this will lead to the result I want (throwing straight) rather than just the result itself. Once I get back on track I can get back into the unconscious mode of throwing which is where I need to be to play at my best.

(I feel like Crusher is about to ping me for this post!)

Darts: Harrows Glen Durrant Duzza Series 2 24g, short Harrows Supergrip shafts, Harrows flights (Marathon/Retina/Optix/Rapide) 

Best 501: 13 darts (League), 14 darts (Pro Darter)

Best Checkout: 154 (League), 160 (Pro Darter)
(12-15-2015, 05:23 AM)Banz Wrote:
(12-15-2015, 05:10 AM)BigE Wrote: It depends on what happened.  The odd "straighten it out" to clean up a bad throw is ok.

Yeah that's me.  I have thought about stepping out or going to 19's when in the "overcorrection" situation.  I guess I need to try a few things against T4 and see what works.

Personally, I don't want to start a visit thinking "throw straight" (with throwing straight being a result) but I recognise that there are times I need to consciously think about the technique required to throw straight.  I don't know if that makes sense the way it does in my head!  I'm trying to say that sometimes I need to consciously think about the process as this will lead to the result I want (throwing straight) rather than just the result itself.  Once I get back on track I can get back into the unconscious mode of throwing which is where I need to be to play at my best.

(I feel like Crusher is about to ping me for this post!)

I know exactly what you mean..... one throw to recalibrate.  Then bombs away!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Scoring Jakey32 8 767 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM
Last Post: thegr812k
  Scoring power Mortal ankle 5 735 08-09-2017, 03:05 AM
Last Post: djb
  Scoring Roberts7286 13 1,276 01-08-2017, 02:32 AM
Last Post: barcrusher
  first bad loss in ages: how to adjust mindset to move on NiteEyez 9 2,833 12-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip