Shot Darts

Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Natural 24g darts review

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHRCfgb7cBI

As most of you know I was very fond of the previous model of these with the black and gold in the 25g version that I reviewed here: https://www.dartsnutz.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=9054

I don't think I have hit as many 140's with any other set without actually getting a 180 as I have with the 25g version, its kind of good but frustrating too Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I have not played with those for a few weeks though as I have been trying so many darts but I was originally thinking of trying the 23g version but now a natural tungsten 24g version is out and I thought that's great, lets see if these will be any different, can 1g make much of a difference?  May be?

As with the previous version they are 80% tungsten but these will be a bit cheaper at around £35. There is also a 22 and 26 gram model.

CONTENTS AND PACKAGING:

This is a barrels only deal and the darts come in a slimline box which says its a limited edition development barrels but you also get a small leatherette wallet. I have added my own stems and flights for the review, I used medium nylon stems and standard Darts Nutz flights:

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

PICS OF THE DARTS IN DETAIL:

CLOSE UP PICS:

I think without the coating on the grip on these is a fair bit grippier than the previous version, as I said with the others though the rings are in sets of 3 and if they were a little more set apart I think they would be even more grippy, the other version were almost or just about a high medium level of grip but I think these are closer to being a high level grip.

DIMESNIONS:

Length:

Width:

Detailed Dimensions:

WEIGHT:

The difference between the lightest and heaviest barrel is just six hundredths of a gram so pretty good:

BALANCE:

With nothing attached the barrels are front weighted with the balance point just around the smooth section:

Balance with my own medium, short and extra short nylon stems and standard flights:

MY GRIP WITH THESE DARTS:

Just my normal front grip:

Darts landed in my usual angle:

CONCLUSION:

Well I am already a fan of these darts from the previous version and pretty much everything I said about them before still holds true.

For a front gripper they are a lovely dart to throw and I just like the balance and the flight of them as it feels so right.

These actually feel more grippy like I mentioned above though and I quite like that too but it seems to me that the coating on the previous version may have been playing a big part in putting that version a gram heavier at 25g although I have noticed some minor differences in the measurements it has not been massive but then we are only talking a single gram here!

But so far I keen on them because of the slightly better grip but originally I thought the previous version was grippy enough for me, but like I mentioned before I had issues with my release after my hand injury and that is almost completely gone now, so this little extra tack is quite nice Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

But I have only hit the one 140 so far, had a few 120+ scores so I am wondering is it just because I am out of practice with these or was the 25g just that little bit better, hmmm  :dodgy:   I am not sure and think I may need to play with them longer yet to find out, so may report back in a few weeks Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

I think I prefer the look of the black and gold versions though but that is a personal thing more than anything and as mentioned the black paint at the front kind of smooths the grip out, so I am sure a lot will prefer this natural version and also the fact it is cheaper is a bonus!

I tried the darts from the centre and the rear too, it flew well enough considering its a bit out of my natural grip but I did notice the balance was still very nice, so could be worth trying for you if that's your preference.

Overall though for the darts are just nice to throw and its improved grip is good.

Summary Ratings:

Looks: 7.5 (fine but I prefer the other version)
Grip: 7.5 (almost an 8 really but will stick with that) (on a 1 to 10 Scale, 10 been severe grip)
Weight match: 8 (pretty close)
Quality: 8 (nice quality)
Value: 7.5 (a bit cheaper than previous version)

Suitability for me: 8 (so far its an 8 but may creep up after more practice)

Best Feature: Sweet balance and improved grip Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Subscribe to Darts Review Channel here: Darts Review Channel on Youtube

Click to visit Darts Review Channel website

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

beautiful review Darren! I might have to get a set in 22g Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images. +1
TITAN
Darts: Target Carrera C4 22g Black
High Out: 158 (T20-T20-D19)
Thanks Darren. I tend to agree the black/gold is my style but I like bling darts. B. darts are a real nice barrel none-the-less and 22g would be my cup of tea
+1 for an honest review yet once again
Thanks guys, you know me I have an eye for the fancy lol! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Nice review they look very cool imo, a 22g set is on its way to me as we speak Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"OOOHHH, Chimpanzee that, Monkey News! You F---.........."
Official Raymond van Barneveld No1 Fan.
(12-11-2015, 04:09 PM)lovejoy Wrote: Nice review they look very cool imo, a 22g set is on its way to me as we speak Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks mate, and I would be surprised if it wasn't! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You should get every weight for your collection though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

My darts collection:
Flickr Album

Great review as always Grip, just find Unicorn isn't even trying anymore lets just change coatings or go natural
(12-11-2015, 04:14 PM)Getagrip Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 04:09 PM)lovejoy Wrote: Nice review they look very cool imo, a 22g set is on its way to me as we speak Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

Thanks mate, and I would be surprised if it wasn't! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

You should get every weight for your collection though Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.

If it wasn't Christmas I would be Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
If I just get 22g then I can say that's what Ray used so its ok Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
"OOOHHH, Chimpanzee that, Monkey News! You F---.........."
Official Raymond van Barneveld No1 Fan.
How did you get on with the smooth section ?

And another great review Darren Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
may all the doubles be with you

I do love the look of these darts in natural tungsten, a grippier version of the Ton Machine which Barney used to throw. Very tempted!!!
(12-11-2015, 04:19 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Great review as always Grip, just find Unicorn isn't even trying anymore lets just change coatings or go natural

Quite right, we should concentrate much more on making our players use darts that don't work for them so that we can sell them to you!

Kind regards

Edward
Edward Lowy
Managing Director
Unicorn Products Ltd
https://www.unicorn-darts.com
hmmm- I wish they had a 25gm version and the thickness a little too much for me. However I'm sure they are a very nice arrow. However I do really like the natural and gold version. 80% hmm I guess thats okay too.
(12-11-2015, 05:02 PM)Edward Lowy Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 04:19 PM)Crusher17 Wrote: Great review as always Grip, just find Unicorn isn't even trying anymore lets just change coatings or go natural

Quite right, we should concentrate much more on making our players use darts that don't work for them so that we can sell them to you!

Kind regards

Edward

LOL i missed where all your players were using the different coatings, Gary Anderson's game improved so much with one blue stripe at the bottom that must of won him the WC
(12-11-2015, 05:11 PM)Crusher17 Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 05:02 PM)Edward Lowy Wrote:

Kind regards

Edward

LOL i missed where all your players were using the different coatings, Gary Anderson's game improved so much with one blue stripe at the bottom that must of won him the WC

Spot on! Guests cannot see images in the messages. Please register at the forum by clicking here to see images.
Edward Lowy
Managing Director
Unicorn Products Ltd
https://www.unicorn-darts.com
:banana:
Another Unicorn player becomes World Champion this year
may all the doubles be with you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bulls Phantom Grip 24g review, Barneveld Unicorn Phase 1 jordanhopper180 13 1,581 03-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Last Post: dexterwolf
  Unicorn Sigma HS Darts Review. One For Star Wars Fans? Getagrip 18 782 01-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Last Post: Getagrip
  Bit Of Bully Ryan Joyce Phase 2 Darts Review Getagrip 7 440 12-22-2020, 11:01 AM
  Unicorn Jeffrey de Zwaan 23g Darts Review Getagrip 21 5,118 11-14-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Papa w
  Unicorn Irina Armstrong Black 23g - Darts Review Ryk 3 459 09-27-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: SlingBlade
  Unicorn Code Players Gary Anderson Darts Review Getagrip 23 1,223 09-14-2020, 03:23 PM
  Unicorn Code Red Darts Review Getagrip 4 376 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM
  Unicorn Barneveld Phase 5 Purist 25g darts review Getagrip 94 68,705 09-04-2020, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Richa
  Target Raymond van Barneveld RVB 80 23g darts review Getagrip 16 10,486 07-28-2020, 09:29 PM
Last Post: wzywg
  Unicorn Raymond van Barneveld World Champion Phase 1 25g darts review Getagrip 24 12,392 07-27-2020, 09:11 PM
Last Post: The Runner